Louisiana Seafood Promotion and Marketing Board
Louisiana Crawfish Ravioli With Crawfish Cream Sauce
Serves 6. Recipe is from the Louisiana Seafood Promotion and Marketing Board.
1/4 cup canola oil
2 cups diced onions
1 cup diced green bell peppers
1 cup diced red bell peppers
2 lbs. crawfish tails, peeled and shells reserved
2 tbls. Creole seasoning
2 tbls. Tabasco sauce
5 cups heavy cream, divided
8 eggs, divided
11/2 cups chopped green onions, divided
1 cup bread crumbs
Pre-made pasta sheets or wonton wrappers, as needed
2 cups canned diced tomatoes, with liquid
1 cup sliced shallots
6 cloves garlic
1/2 cup sherry
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until transluscent, but with no color, about 5 minutes. Add the peppers, crawfish, Creole seasoning and Tabasco. Cook until crawfish are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes, and add 1 cup heavy cream. Reduce until most of the cream has evaporated and pan is almost dry. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
2. Once cool enough to touch, add 4 eggs and 1 cup green onions and mix. Add bread crumbs gradually and mix to combine. Chill until ready to make ravioli.
3. To make ravioli, roll out a sheet of pasta or use wonton wrappers cut into 3-inch squares. Place a spoonful of the crawfish mixture in the middle of each square. Brush the edges of pasta with remaining egg and fold over to form a triangle. Use a fork to press down the edges and seal. Repeat, using the rest of the filling. Reserve prepared ravioli in refrigerator until ready to cook.
4. To prepare cream sauce, combine remaining 4 cups cream, tomatoes, shallots, garlic, sherry, thyme, bay leaf and crawfish shells in a large sauce pot. Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by half. Strain into sauce pot and season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep hot.
5. Cook ravioli in boiling salted water until pasta is tender. While pasta is cooking, heat sauce in a large pan. Drain ravioli and add to sauce, simmer a for 1 to 2 minutes.
6. To plate, place 10 ravioli on each plate and spoon sauce over top. Garnish with remaining 1/2 cup green onions.