Former LSU basketball star Glen “Big Baby” Davis, who plays now with the NBA’s Orlando Magic, will present his third annual Booking it With Baby literacy tour Thursday through Saturday in partnership with the East Baton Rouge Parish Library. The three-day tour via the library’s mobile unit, will make stops throughout the city to create awareness of childhood literacy and demonstrate the positive benefits of reading.
The Glen “Big Baby” Davis Foundation, a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization, was founded in 2011 to encourage inner city youth to stay in school and away from defiant behavior and criminal activity by focusing on literacy, athletic and healthy recreational activities.
“Children are especially inspired to learn that ‘Big Baby’ writes books, too — that opens up a world of possibilities,” Library Director Spencer Watts said.
Among the events planned is a celebrity bowling tournament at 7 p.m. Friday at Quarters Luxury Bowling Alley. Visit iambigbaby.com/foundation for more information.
Lafayette poetry celebration
The Lafayette National Poetry Slam Team’s Spoken Word Performance Celebration is scheduled from 2-5 p.m. Saturday in the multipurpose room at AOC Community Media, 101 Jefferson St., Suite 101, in Lafayette. Doors open at 1:30 p.m.
The celebration will feature Christian/Gospel singer Bernadette Steven as well as the Lafayette National Poetry Slam Team and include open mic time.
The team also is promoting its new website. Visit lafayettepoetrycommunity.com and get a free download of the team performing the group poem “I Miss You Kella!”
- Frederick Starr and Robert Brantley will discuss and sign their book, Une Belle Maison: The Lombard Plantation House in New Orlean’s Bywater, 2-4 p.m. Sunday at Garden District Book Shop, 2727 Prytania St. in New Orleans.
- Photographer Richard Sexton and writers Randy Harelson and Brian Costello will sign and discuss their book, New Roads And Old Rivers: Louisiana’s Historic Pointe Coupee Parish, at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Octavia Books, 513 Octavia St. in New Orleans.
- Brandon Hebert will sign his latest thriller, Odd Man Out, at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Citiplace Barnes & Noble Booksellers, 2590 CitiPlace Court in Baton Rouge.
- Westbank Writers’ Group meets at 6 p.m. Tuesday at Centre at Westbank Barnes & Nobel Booksellers, 1601B West Bank Expressway in Harvey. (504) 263-1146.
- HeartLa, the Baton Rouge Chapter of Romance Writers of America, will hold its monthly meeting at 10 a.m. Saturday at the East Baton Rouge Parish Library Bluebonnet Regional Branch, 9200 Bluebonnet Blvd.
EBR Parish Library
Read Well at Greenwell Children’s Book Club is scheduled for 12:30 p.m. Saturday at the East Baton Rouge Parish Greenwell Springs Regional Branch Library, 11300 Greenwell Springs Road.
Children ages 7-11 will discuss their previous reading assignment and present visual projects prepared at home. Call (225) 274-4460 for information or to register.
Compiled by Advocate staff