1. East Ascension 5-0: As District 5-5A begins severity of injury to RB Sione Palelei is a key question.
2. Dutchtown 4-1: Griffins catapult to No. 2 after victory over Rummel last week.
3. (tie) Catholic 4-1: Bears face a huge challenge this week in 5-5A opener with St. Amant.
Central 4-1: Win over Scotlandville was pivotal in 4-5A race and so is this week’s game with rival Denham Springs.
5. St. Amant 4-1: Gators have gotten more impressive with each of their four straight wins.
6. Scotlandville 3-1:The Hornets have a chance for great growth after one-point loss to Central.
7. Plaquemine 4-1: Class 4A Green Devils have ridden 1,000-yard rusher Julius Marcalin to four straight wins.
8. Denham Springs 3-2: Yellow Jackets bounced back with two 4-5A wins after loss to Catholic.
9. Woodlawn 3-2: Panthers are learning to win and moving to 5-5A is big step this week.
10. Zachary 3-2: Broncos needed a win after Scotlandville loss and edged Live Oak to get it.
Classes 3A and below
1. University 5-0: Cubs have played lights out all year and are now No. 1 in 3A, which is no easy feat.
2. (tie) Livonia 5-0: The Wildcats are unbeaten and win over 4A McDonogh 35 last week was impressive.
Parkview Baptist 4-1: Eagles have won four straight going into 7-3A showdown with U-High this week.
4. West Feliciana 4-1: One of the area’s most underrated teams in the 7-3A shadows of U-High and PBS.
5. Episcopal 5-0: Knights just keep netting wins and are the lone unbeaten in District 6-2A.
6. (tie) Capitol 4-1: Loss to 5A McKinley is only blemish for the much-improved 2A Lions.
Dunham 4-1: Another 2A team that has impressed with four straight victories.
8. Pointe Coupee Central 3-2: Class 1A Cougars were explosive in win over 4A Tara last week.
9. White Castle 3-2: Class 1A Bulldogs losses were to larger schools and should be a plus later on.
10. East Feliciana 2-3: Tigers won last week and can get 2A mojo back when they host Episcopal this week.