- INTERNATIONAL GRAND ISLE TARPON RODEO: Sand Dollar Marina weighstation & Rodeo Tent, Grand Isle. Weigh-in times: 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursday & Friday; 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday. Tickets $25.
- FAUX PAS LODGE TOURNAMENT: Venice Marina, Venice. Weigh-in times: 5-8 p.m. Thursday & Friday, 3-6 p.m. Saturday. Tickets $40 for basic divisions, special fees for single-fish and three-fish calcuttas.
- FRIDAY NIGHT COOKIE JAR BASS TOURNAMENT: 7 p.m.-midnight, Morrison Parkway Public Landing. Fee $30/boat. Weekly Friday night event through Sept. 13. Call Guy Perkins (225) 293-3402.
- LA. BULLS EYE CONVENTIONAL PISTOL MATCH: 9 a.m., Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. Timed & Rapid-fire match, NRA rules, .22 rim fire, .22 centerfire & .45 ACP pistols. Fee $7. Call Skip Blanchard (504) 427-0050. Email: email@example.com.
- GUIDED CANOE TRIP: 9-11 a.m., Chicot Lake, Chicot State Park, Ville Platte. Canoeing experience recommended. Space limited for reserved canoe. Private canoes, kayaks OK, but registration required. Park fee $2. Call (888) 677-6100.
- FLY TYING AT BASS PRO SHOPS: 9:30 a.m.-noon, Fly Shop, Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Call Ron Brooks (225) 271-3100.
- SOUTH LOUISIANA HIGHPOWER CLUB MATCH: 8:30 a.m., Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Range, 9300 St. Landry Rd. Gonzales. NRA 200-yard match course. Fee $12 members, $15 nonmembers, $5 juniors. $15 annual membership in Civilian Marksmanship Program. Call George Serrett (225) 272-3538. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FIN-ADDICT FLY FISHERS MEETING: 6:30 p.m., Spahr’s Restaurant, 1400 W. Tunnel Blvd, Houma. Call Stephen Robert (985) 850-0082. Website: http://finaddictflyfishers.blogspot.com.
- CANAL BANK BASS TOURNAMENT: 5 p.m., Canal Bank Club, Diversion Canal, 18499 La. 22. Maurepas. Fee $40/boat, $15/angler membership fee. $5 launch fee. Email: Susan Carpenter: email@example.com.
- WHITETAIL DEER SUMMER SEMINAR: 6 p.m. registration, 6:30-9 p.m. seminar, LSU 4-H mini-Farm, AgCenter Drive, LSU, Baton Rouge. Also South Louisiana Branch/Quality Deer Management Association meeting. Changes for 2013-14 deer season, tracking/feeding adult deer, gun & ammo availability forecast. Call Don Reed (225) 683-5848.
AROUND THE CORNER
- AUG. 1 — LOUISIANA WILDLIFE & FISHERIES COMMISSION MEETING: 9:30 a.m., Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries’ Lab, Grand Isle. Agenda Items: Approving 2013-2014 waterfowl seasons & limits, public comment on 2014 spring turkey season.
- AUG. 1-3 — BASSMASTER NORTHERN OPEN: Oneida Lake, Syracuse, N.Y. Second in three-tournament series to qualify winners for 2014 Bassmaster Classic. Website: http://www.bassmaster.com.
- AUG. 2-4 — 63RD ANNUAL
TERREBONNE SPORTSMAN’S LEAGUE FISHING RODEO: East Park Recreational Center, Houma. Fee $20. Divisions: Freshwater, Offshore, Shoreline, Fly Fishing, Tag & Release, Bluewater, Scuba. Call Larry Jordan (985) 601-4110 or Troy Bonvillain (985) 804-7504.
- AUG. 3 — MID RANGE RIFLE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. 600-yard prone match includes F-Class (any rifle, any sight, any support), FTR.223 &.308 with a bipod & conventional prone (any caliber). Website: http://PaloAltoGunClub.com.
- AUG. 4 — JUNIOR CHOUPIQUE RODEO: 9 a.m.-noon, St. James Boat Club, U.S. 61 at Blind River between Sorrento and Gramercy. Kids only up to 15 years old. Registration 25 cents. Fishing from the bank only. Largest fish & most fish categories. Call Boat Club (225) 869-8966.
- AUG. 10 — LOUISIANA SALTWATER SERIES/REDFISH: Delta Marina, Empire. Sixth in 7-event series sponsored by Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. Two-redfish catch, live-fish weigh-in, redfish tagged/released. Website: www.lasaltwaterseries.com.
- STATEWIDE TOURNAMENT & ANGLERS’ RODEO—S.T.A.R.: Through Sept. 2, summer-long saltwater fishing event. Truck/boats for specially tagged redfish. Prizes in several species categories. Sponsored by CCA-Louisiana. Entry fee & CCA membership required. Call CCA-Louisiana (225) 952-9200.
- AUG. 17 — 2013 BATON ROUGE ANTIQUE DECOY SHOW: 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Bluebonnet Swamp Nature Center, 10503 North Oak Hills Parkway, Baton Rouge. Displays, videos, buy-sell-swap decoys & decoy IDs/vaulations. Call Gary Lipham (225) 571-2835. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- fishery notices
- RECREATIONAL RED SNAPPER SEASON/FEDERAL WATERS: Closed in federal waters. Open in state waters weekends-only through September/3-per-day limit, 16-inches minimum size. Anglers must have no-fee Louisiana Recreational Offshore Landing Permit (website: www.rolp.wlf.la.gov/Permit/Apply.
- RECREATIONAL AMBERJACK SEASON CLOSED: Through July 31 for greater amberjack throughout Gulf of Mexico. Commercial season closed July 1 for remainder of 2013.
- EAST GRAND TERRE ISLAND CLOSURE: To commercial fishing, including crabs & shrimp, and to recreational fishing, except rod-and-reel take of finfish, until further notice after state biologists identified residual BP-Deepwater Horizon tar balls and tar mats.
- ALL INSIDE LOUISIANA WATERS: Except portion of Mississippi Sound (Louisiana waters) and open waters of Breton and Chandeleur sounds. Ordered by Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries. Complete closure map website: www.wlf.louisiana.gov.