- LOUISIANA WILDLIFE & FISHERIES COMMISSION MEETING: 9:30 a.m., Waddill Outdoor Education Center, 4142 North Flannery Rd., Baton Rouge. Set spring inshore shrimp seasons.
- LAKE CHARLES CCA BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Burton Coliseum, Lake Charles. Call CCA (225) 952-9200.
- SHATTERIN’ CLAY FOR GAITWAY: Hunter’s Run Gun Club, Port Allen. Sporting Clays shoot. Fees: $150/person, $600/4-shooter team. Benefits GaitWay Therapeutic Horsemanship program. Email: Roberta@gaitway.org.
- IBERVILLE DUCKS UNLIMITED BANQUET: 6 p.m., Chateau Blanc, 34625 KC Drive, White Castle. Call Bambi Charlet Hood (225) 719-1237. Email: email@example.com.
- FRIDAY NIGHT COOKIE JAR BASS TOURNAMENT: 7 p.m.-midnight, Morrison Parkway Public Landing. Fee $30/boat. Call Guy Perkins (225) 293-3402.
- NATCHITOCHES FLY EXPO: 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Prather Coliseum, Northwestern State, Natchitoches. Website: http://canecountry.blogspot.com.
- NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION ANNUAL MEETING & EXHIBITS: George R. Brown Convention Center, Houston. Website: http://www.nraam.org.
- LOUISIANA SALTWATER SERIES/REDFISH: SeaWay Marina, Lafitte. Third in 7-event series sponsored by Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. Two-redfish catch, live-fish weigh-in, redfish tagged/released. Website: http://www.lasaltwaterseries.com.
- ORVIS FLY FISHING 101: 10 a.m.-noon, Orvis Shop, Perkins Rowe, Baton Rouge. Beginners basics of casting, rigging, knots. Also May 18, 25 & June 8. Call Orvis Shop (225) 757-7286.
- MID RANGE RIFLE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. 600-yard prone match includes F-Class (any rifle, any sight, any support), FTR.223 &.308 with a bipod & conventional prone (any caliber). Website: http://PaloAltoGunClub.com.
- TOYOTA TUNDRA BASSMASTER WEEKEND SERIES/LOUISIANA DIVISION: Atchafalaya Basin, Doiron’s Landing, Stephensville. Fees $200/boater, $100/co-angler. Third in five-event series. Call (888) 203-6222. Website: www.weekendseries.com.
- CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT CLASS: Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Gordon Hutchinson instructor. Fee charged. Also June 1. Call Hutchinson (225) 335-1571.
- KYKX/THE RANCH BIG BASS BONANZA: 6 a.m.-3 p.m. daily, Lake o’ the Pines, Texas. Fee $100 one day, $175 both days. Hourly top 3 big-bass event. First place $105,000 cash/prizes for overall big bass. Call (903) 663-9800. Website: http://www.texasbigbassbonanza.com.
- CANAL BANK BASS TOURNAMENT: 5 p.m., Canal Bank Club, Diversion Canal, 18499 La. 22. Maurepas. Fee $40/boat, $15/angler membership fee. $5 launch fee. Email Susan Carpenter: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SPECKLED TROUT SEMINAR: 6:30 p.m., Grace Presbyterian Church, Roselawn Boulevard, Lafayette. No fee. Last in five-seminar series.
MONDAY & WEDNESDAY
- PUBLIC WATERFOWL HUNTING FORUM: 6 p.m., Monday, Bossier Parish Sheriff’s Substation, 2510 Viking Dr., Bossier City; 6 p.m., Wednesday, second floor, Courtroom of the Criminal Justice Building, 426 North Ave. F, Crowley.
- LOUISIANA BLACK BEAR WORKSHOP: 6:30 p.m., Deville Fire District 6 Training Center, 1244 La. 115, Deville. No fee. LDWF biologist Maria Davidson information about living near and hunting within black bear habitat & current/future management plans.
THURSDAY, MAY 9
- RIVER PARISHES CCA BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Jerusalem Shrine Center, 1940 Ormond Blvd. Destrehan. Call CCA (225) 952-9200.
AROUND THE CORNER
- MAY 11 — FLY TYING CLASS: 9 a.m.-noon, Ascension Parish Library, 708 S. Irma Blvd. Gonzales. No fee. Basics of tying fresh and saltwater flies. Call Darrell Crawford (225) 644-7989.
- MAY 11 — WALKER HIGH POWER LIFTING BIG BASS BASH: Dorion’s Landing, Stephensville. Fee $100 (70 percent payback). Open to all anglers. Call John Chaney (225) 413-5142.
- MAY 11 — ORVIS FLY FISHING 201: 10 a.m.-noon, Orvis Shop, Perkins Rowe, Baton Rouge. Advanced casting, rigging, knots. Also June 1 & 15. Call Orvis Shop (225) 757-7286.
- MAY 11 — CAPITAL CITY BASS ELITE TEAMS TOURNAMENT: Lake View Lodge, Lake Concordia, Ferriday. $30 membership fee. $100/team tournament fee, 100-percent payback. Sixth in eight-tournament series. Call Jesse Brooks (225) 397-2071. Website: http://www.capitalcitybassla.com.
- SPRING SQUIRREL: Saturday, opening day, through May 26. Daily limit 3. Possession limit 6 after opening day. Private lands only & selected state WMAS.
Have an event? Email: email@example.com.