- 8TH ANNUAL EAGLE EXPO: Morgan City. Bald eagle watching in St. Mary Parish. Instruction, guided boat tours in Atchafalaya Basin, Lake Verret, Bayou Black & Turtle Bayou, walking tours, photo seminar. Fees charged. Call (985) 395-4905. Website: http://www.cajuncoast.com.
- AMBERJACK SEASON CLOSURE: State/federal waters through June 1.
- LOUISIANA DUCKS UNLIMITED LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE: Homewood Suites, Lafayette. Call Stephen Gauthier (337) 344-8253. Website registration: http://ducks.givezooks.com/events/lousiana-ducks-unlimited-volunteer-leadership-meeting.
- CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL BASS CLASSIC: Safe daylight, Doiron’s Landing, Stephensville. Pick-your-partner event, benefits Children’s Hospitals. Fee $250/team/ $12,500 guarantee first place, $1,250 guarantee big bass. Pretournament check in Feb. 28 Cabela’s, Gonzales. 250-boat limit. Call Gary Cross (225) 938-1808 or Brad Rodrigue (985) 209-0722.
- 3RD-ANNUAL CLEVY DAVID-CHRISTY ROY MEMORIAL FISHING TOURNAMENT: Safe daylight-3 p.m., Morrison Parkway public launch, False River, New Roads. Pick-your-partner. $1,000 guaranteed first place. Fee $100/boat. Benefits ALS. Call Buster Roy (225) 505-6681 or Bug Roy (225) 638-8584.
- 22ND-ANNUAL RED STICK DAY CONCLAVE: 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m., Waddill Outdoors Education Center, 4142 N. Flannery Rd., Baton Rouge. Free. Fly fishing programs, fly tying, kayak demos, casting clinics, food, refreshments. Sponsored by the Red Stick Fly Fishers. Call Glen Cormier (225) 751-6848. Website: http://www.rsff.org.
- LOUISIANA SALTWATER SERIES: The Dock/Dockside Bait & Tackle, Slidell. First in seven-event series sponsored by Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. Two-redfish catch. Live-fish weigh-in. Redfish tagged/released. Website: http://www.lasaltwaterseries.com.
- MID RANGE RIFLE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. 600-yard prone match includes F-Class (any rifle, any sight, any support), FTR.223 &.308 with a bipod & conventional prone (any caliber). Website: http://PaloAltoGunClub.com.
- TOYOTA TUNDRA BASSMASTER WEEKEND SERIES/LOUISIANA DIVISION: Grand Ecore Landing, Red River. Fee $200/boater, $100/co-angler. 20 percent of field in payout. Second in five-event series. Top 40 boaters/co-anglers qualify for regional. Call (888) 203-6222. Website: www.weekendseries.com.
- THE LOUISIANA DECOY RALLY: 8 a.m.-3 p.m., Ormond Plantation, 13786 River Rd., Destrehan. Collectors’ vintage/modern decoys displays & auction. Call David Haydel Jr. (504) 915-5484. Website: http://www.DeepSouthDecoys.org.
- CAPITAL CITY BASS ELITE TEAMS TOURNAMENT: Bayou Segnette State Park, Westwego. $30 membership fee. $100/team tournament fee, 100-percent payback. Second in eight-tournament series. Call Jesse Brooks (225) 397-2071. Website: http://www.capitalcitybassla.com.
- SPECKLED TROUT SEMINAR: 6:30 p.m., Grace Presbyterian Church, Roselawn Boulevard, Lafayette. No fee. Third in five-seminar series covering fly fishing for trout, redfish, flounder and other species. Next seminars: April 1, May 6.
THURSDAY, MARCH 7
- LOUISIANA WILDLIFE & FISHERIES COMMISSION MEETING: 9:30 a.m., Waddill Wildlife Education Center, Flannery Road, Baton Rouge.
- VERMILION CHAPTER CCA BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., VN Hall, 1201 North Lafitte Rd., Abbeville. Call CCA (225) 952-9200.
- MARCH 9 — VOLUNTEERS/DERELICT CRAB TRAP REMOVAL PROGRAM: 8:30 a.m., Breton Sound Marina, Hopedale. Maps & supplies furnished. Department of Wildlife & Fisheries & Louisiana SeaGrant program. Registration.information website: http://www.laseagrant.org/crabtraps/.
AROUND THE CORNER
- MARCH 8-9 — BASSMASTER COLLEGE CENTRAL CONFERENCE REGIONAL: Lake Amistad, Del Rio, Texas.
- MARCH 9 — FLY TYING CLASS: 9 a.m.-noon, Ascension Parish Library, 708 S. Irma Blvd. Gonzales. No fee. Basics of tying fresh and saltwater flies for bream, sac-a-lait, bass, redfish & speckled trout. Call Darrell Crawford (225) 644-7989.
- MARCH 9 — 9TH ANNUAL FLY FISH TEXAS: 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center, Athens, Texas. Center admission fee. Seminars, exhibits, fly tying, beginners clinics, fishing on premises. Website: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/tffc.
- MARCH 10 — CAPITAL CITY BASS OPEN TEAM TOURNAMENT: Morrison Parkway Public Landing, False River, New Roads. $50/team tournament fee. 100-percent payback. First in three-tournament series. Call Jesse Brooks (225) 397-2071. Website: http://www.capitalcitybassla.com.
- MARCH 11 — DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME: Begins 2 a.m.
- MARCH 11 — RED STICK FLY FISHERS PROGRAM: 7 p.m., Louisiana Resource Center for Educators, 5550 Florida Blvd, Baton Rouge. Regular monthly program. Call Greg Brignac (225) 810-8645. Website: http://www.rsff.org.
- MARCH 14 — BATON ROUGE DUCKS UNLIMITED CHAPTER SPONSORS BANQUET: Renaissance Hotel, Baton Rouge. Email John Barton Jr.: John.Barton.Jr@bswllp.com or Terrell Brown: JTBrown@GMFSLending.com.
- MARCH 16 — CHILDREN’S MIRACLE NETWORK BASS CLASSIC: St. James Boat Club, U.S. 61 south of Sorrento. Pick-your-partner tournament. Open waters. Pretournament meeting 6:30 p.m., March 14, St. James Boat Club. Benefits Our Lady of the Lake Children’s Hospital. Call Danny Fields (225) 765-5951. Website: http://www.ololrmc.com.
- MARCH 17 — 32TH ANNUAL KIWANIS OF POINTE COUPEE OPEN BASS TOURNAMENT: Safe daylight, public landing, Morrison Parkway, False River, New Roads. Weigh-in 3 p.m. Pick-your-partner event. Fee $125/team ($150 tournament day). Benefits Kiwanis False River projects. Call Kenneth St. Romain (225) 718-1319.
- SQUIRRELS/RABBITS/QUAIL: Statewide through Thursday (Feb. 28).
- SNIPE/EAST, WEST & COASTAL WATERFOWL ZONES: Second split through Thursday (Feb. 28).
- CONSERVATION ORDER GEESE/EAST, WEST & COASTAL ZONES: Through March 9. Take restricted to blue, snow and Ross’ geese only. No daily nor possession limits. Hunters allowed to use electronic calls & unplugged shotguns. Special hours one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.
- TURKEY/YOUTH & PHYSICALLY CHALLENGED WEEKEND: March 16-17, private lands only in State Turkey Areas A, B & C. Shooting hours: One-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset. Limit: 1 per day. State turkey tags must be used.
- TURKEY: Area A lands, March 23-April 21; Area B lands, March 23-April 14; Area A lands, March 23-April 7. Limit: 1 per day, 2 per season. State turkey tags must be used.
Have an outdoors item or event? Email: email@example.com