- LOUISIANA WILDLIFE & FISHERIES COMMISSION MEETING: 9:30 a.m., Waddill Outdoor Education Center, 4142 North Flannery Rd., Baton Rouge. Major agenda items: Notices of Intent for 2014-2015 hunting season dates, DMAP fees, black bass regulations for Atchafalaya Basin, Lake Verret, Lake Palourde, and Fausse Pointe Lake and discussion of 2013 red snapper season.
- DONALDSONVILLE CHAPTER/DUCKS UNLIMITED BANQUET: 6 p.m., Lemann Center, Donaldsonville. Seafood Extravaganza. Call Todd Boudreaux (225) 278-5584.
- FLY TYING CLASS: 9 a.m.-noon, Ascension Parish Library, 708 S. Irma Blvd. Gonzales. No fee. Basics of tying fresh and saltwater flies for bream, sac-a-lait, bass, redfish & speckled trout. Call Darrell Crawford (225) 644-7989.
- JAKES/CANVASBACK CLUB TAKE AIM EVENT: Malloy Sportsman’s Club, Feed Mill Road, El Dorado, Ark. Boys & girls 17 and younger. Firearms safety, BB gun shoot, trap shoot, wood duck-box assembly, hunting ethics, habitat management & duck/turkey calling seminar. Fee $15 includes shooting & lunch. Cosponsored by Delta Waterfowl & South Arkansas Chapter/National Wild Turkey Federation. Call Corey Dunn (501) 553-3815.
SUNDAY, FEB. 10
- DOIRON’S TEAM BASS TOURNAMENT: Doiron’s Landing, Stephensville. Pick-your-partner. First in five-tournament series. Call Larry Doiron (985) 397-3113.
AROUND THE CORNER
- FEB. 11 — RED STICK FLY FISHERS PROGRAM: 7 p.m., Louisiana Resource Center for Educators, 5550 Florida Blvd, Baton Rouge. Regular monthly program. Call Greg Brignac (225) 810-8645. Website: http://www.rsff.org.
- FEB. 15-16 — CCA LOUISIANA STATE COONVENTION: Hotel Acadiana, 1801 W. Pinhook Rd., Lafayette. Workshops, speakers, Hall of Fame ceremony & Chapter Cook-off. Call David Cresson (225) 588-4823.
- FEB. 16 — CAPITAL CITY BASS ELITE TEAMS TOURNAMENT: Neely’s Spokane Resort, Lake St. John, Ferriday. $30 membership fee. $100/team tournament fee, 100-percent payback. First in eight-tournament series. Call Jesse Brooks (225) 397-2071. Website: http://www.capitalcitybassla.com.
- FEB. 16 — FLY FISHING 101: 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Waddill Outdoors Education Center, 4142 North Flannery Rd., Baton Rouge. Open to public. No Fee. Preregistration requested. Hands-on instruction in casting, leaders, knots, fly tying. Includes lunch, refreshments. Sponsored By Red Stick Fly Fishers. Call Dugan Sabins (225) 766-4060. Website: http://www.rsff.org.
- FEB. 16 — 11TH ANNUAL LITTLE MO FLY FISHING FEST: 9 a.m.-7 p.m., Community Hall, Murfreesboro, Ark. Programs, casting, exhibitors and fly tiers from Ark-La-Tex. Call Jeff Guerin (985) 531-6312. Website: www.littlemissouriflyfishing.com.
- FEB. 17 — LOUISIANA SHOOTING ASSOCIATION ANNUAL MEETING: 9:30 a.m., Cabela’s, Gonzales.
- MARCH 3 — THE LOUISIANA DECOY RALLY: 8 a.m.-3 p.m., Ormond Plantation, 13786 River Rd., Destrehan. Collectors’ vintage/modern decoys displays & auction. Call David Haydel Jr. (504) 915-5484. Website: http://www.DeepSouthDecoys.org.
- GEESE/COASTAL & WEST ZONES: Sunday (Feb. 3), final day, second split. Open to take speckledbelly, blue, snow & Ross’ geese.
- CONSERVATION ORDER GEESE/WEST & COASTAL ZONES: Monday (Feb. 4), opening day through March 9. Take restricted to blue, snow and Ross’ geese only. No daily nor possession limits. Hunters allowed to use electronic calls & unplugged shotguns. Special hours one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.
- SQUIRRELS/RABBITS/QUAIL: Statewide through Feb. 28.
- SNIPE/EAST, WEST & COASTAL WATERFOWL ZONES: Second split through Feb. 28.
- CONSERVATION ORDER GEESE/EAST ZONE: Through March 9. Take restricted to blue, snow and Ross’ geese only. No daily nor possession limits. Hunters allowed to use electronic calls & unplugged shotguns. Special hours one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.
- NOTE: Deer tags are required for all hunters no matter their ages for taking deer in Louisiana. Tags must be affixed to the deer before taking it from the field. State basic & big-game licenses needed for deer hunters. Special stamp needed to take deer on wildlife management areas.
- ELMER’S ISLAND AREA: oil clean-up.
Have an outdoors item or event? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org