- 23RD ANNUAL WOODEN BOAT FESTIVAL: Final day, Maritime Museum, Tchefuncte River, Madisonville. Fee $10 adults, $5 seniors, no fee children 11 and younger. Includes Children’s Village & Quick ‘n Dirty Boat Building Contest.
- CCA/CABELA’S YOUTH FISHING SEMINAR: 2-7 p.m., Cabela’s, Gonzales. Fish ID, tackle, boating safety, casting, knot tying seminars and fishing rodeo. Registration begins at 1:30 p.m.
- 9TH ANNUAL CHS ALUMNI SPORTING CLAY SHOOT: 2 p.m., Hunter’s Run Gun Club, Port Allen. 50-target course. 4-shooter teams. fee $50/gun, $60 shooting day, $40 students (includes lunch, 12-, 20-gauge shells). 2-man “hurry flurry” and poker run. Rescheduled from Sept. 29 rainout. Call CHS Alumni Office (225) 383-0459.
- HUNTING AND FISHING ADVISORY EDUCATION COUNCIL MEETING: 1:30 p.m., Fourth Floor Conference Room, Department of Wildlife and Fisheries headquarters, 2000 Quail Drive, Baton Rouge.
- SECOND ANNUAL SOUTH LOUISIANA BRANCH/QDMA GUN BASH: 4-H Mini Farm, AgCenter Drive, LSU, Baton Rouge. Dinner, gun raffles, deer stands, feeders, etc. Tickets $100, $800 tables. Originally Aug. 29. Call William Shockey (225) 291-7500.
- WALMART BFL REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: 7 a.m. daily launch, Grand Ecore Rec Area, 1071 Tauzin Island Rd., Natchitoches. 3 p.m. weigh-in Thursday-Friday at landing. Saturday’s 4 p.m. final weigh-in Walmart, Keyser Avenue, Natchitoches. Top 40 Boaters and Co-Anglers from four Bass Fishing League divisions. Top six anglers in each category qualify for BFL All-American. Website: http://www.FLWOutdoors.com.
- 6TH NATIONAL CONFERENCE & EXPO ON COASTAL AND ESTUARINE HABITAT RESTORATION: Opening day, Tampa Convention Center, Tampa, Fla. Coastal and estuarine habitat restoration. Through Thursday, Oct. 25. Registration fee $550, one-day fee $250. Email Suzanne Giles Simon: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website registration: https://www.cmpinc.net/rae.
- LOUISIANA STATE HIGH-POWER RIFLE CHAMPIONSHIP: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. Open to NRA-affiliated state association members. Fee $25/adult, $15/junior. CMP EIC “Leg” Match. Entry deadline Oct. 13. Field limited to 60 shooters. Call Jay D. Hunt (985) 768-8469. Email email@example.com. Website: http://www.PaloAltoGunClub.com.
AROUND THE CORNER
- OCT. 22 &MDASH; RED STICK FLY FISHERS FLY-TYING SESSION: 7 p.m., Conference Room, Cabela’s, Gonzales. Call Emmitt Simmons (225) 335-4596. Website: http://www.rsff.org
- OCT. 25 &MDASH; S.T.A.R. AWARDS BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Live Oak Arabians, 6300 Jefferson Hwy., Baton Rouge. Prizes for winners in CCA-Louisiana summer-long fishing rodeo. Tickets $50 (11-and-under no fee), $500 tables. Dinner, awards, auction. Call Rad Trascher (225) 952-9200.
- OCT. 27 &MDASH; FALL N’ TIDE V KAYAK FISHING TOURNAMENT: Delta Marina, Empire. Sponsored by the Bayou Coast Kayak Fishing Club. Fee $40 includes meals, shirt, captain’s bag. Preregistration required. Website: http://www.bckfc.org.
- OCT. 27 &MDASH; FLY TYING AT BASS PRO SHOPS: 9:30 a.m.-noon, Conference Room, Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Call Ron Brooks (225) 271-3100.
- OCT. 27 &MDASH; SAC-A-LAIT/BREAM FISHING WITH THE JIGGIN’ POLE CLASS: 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m., A.P. Tureaud Hall, LSU, Baton Rouge. J.B. Salter-taught Leisure Studies class, LSU, Baton Rouge. Fee $42/LSU Union/student members, $53/public. Hands-on and classroom instruction; artificial and live baits; patterns; and area fishing hot spots. Call LSU Leisure Studies (225) 578-5119.
- OCT. 28 &MDASH; SOUTH LOUISIANA HIGHPOWER CLUB MATCH: 8:30 a.m., Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Range, 9300 St. Landry Rd. Gonzales. Fee $12 members, $15 nonmembers, $5 juniors. $15 annual membership in Civilian Marksmanship Program. Call George Serrett; (225) 272-3538. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- OCT. 27 &MDASH; SORRENTO COPS & KIDS BASS TOURNAMENT: 5 a.m. live-well check-in, 3 p.m. weigh-in, Doiron’s Landing, Stephensville. Pick-your-partner event. Fee $120, $10 optional big-bass kitty. Call Earl Theriot (225) 675-5356/(225) 268-9003.
- DEER/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS: Through Friday (Oct. 19), State Deer Areas 3, 7 and 8. Saturday (Oct. 20), opening day, State Deer Area 2 through Oct. 26. Either-sex deer allowed to be taken. Special license required: $10.50 for residents, $26 for nonresidents.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: Saturday (Oct. 20) opening day, State Deer Area 7 (still-hunt only) through Nov. 2. Saturday (Oct. 20) opening day, State. Deer Areas 3 and 8 (still-hunt only) through Nov. 25. Oct. 27-Dec. 5, State Deer Area 2 (still-hunt only). State Basic and Big Game licenses required.
- DEER/ARCHERY: State Deer Areas 3 and 8 through Jan. 15; State Deer areas 1, 2, 4, 5 and 7 through Jan. 31. Deer Area 6 and special Atchafalaya Basin/I-10 south (Oct. 1-15, bucks only) through Feb. 15. Either-sex deer allowed to be taken except where noted. Special license required: $10.50 for residents (ages 16-59); $26 for nonresidents (16 and older).
- DOVES: North Zone, second split through Nov. 4; South Zone, second split through Nov. 25. Daily limit is 15. Possession limit is 30. Hours are one-half hour before sunrise to sunset.
- SQUIRRELS/RABBITS: Statewide through Feb. 28. Daily limit 8 for each species.
- NOTE: Deer tags are required for all hunters no matter their ages for taking deer in Louisiana. Tags must be affixed to the deer before taking it from the field.
Have an outdoors item or event?