- IHMSA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP HANDGUN METALLIC SILHOUETTE MATCH: Final day, Ascension Parish Sheriffs Training Range, St. Landry Road, Gonzales. Smallbore (.22) and Field Pistol matches.
- RED STICK FLY FISHERS PROGRAM: 7 p.m., Orvis Shop, Bluebonnet Boulevard, Baton Rouge. Regular monthly program. Call Dan Weber (225) 767-2405. Website: http://www.rsff.org.
- A WILD NIGHT: 6:30 p.m., Live Oak Arabians, Jefferson Highway. 2012 Louisiana Wildlife & Fisheries Foundation fundraiser (Youth Hunter Education Challenge, La. Saltwater Series, Whooping Crane Restoration, etc.) Dinner, live/silent auctions. Call LWFF (225) 765-5100.
- TOYOTA TUNDRA BASSMASTER WEEKEND SERIES/TEXAS EAST DIVISION REGIONAL: Wright-Patman Lake, Texas. Top anglers qualify for Nov. 7-10 series championship, Lake Sam Rayburn, Texas. Last in five-event series. Call (888) 203-6222. Website: http://www.weekendseries.com.
- 23RD ANNUAL WOODEN BOAT FESTIVAL: Maritime Museum, Tchefuncte River, Madisonville. Oct. 12, 7:30-10:30 p.m., Maritime Mania/patron party ($75 singles, $125 couples). Oct. 13-14, Festival, Fee $10 adults, $5 seniors, no fee children 11 and younger. Includes Children’s Village & Quick ‘n Dirty Boat Building Contest. Call Lake Pontchartrain Basin Maritime Museum (985) 845-9200. Website: http://www.woodenboatfest.org.
- FLY TYING CLASS: 9 a.m.-noon, Ascension Parish Library, 708 S. Irma Blvd. Gonzales. No fee. Basics of tying fresh and saltwater flies (Bendbacks, poppin ‘ bugs, crickets, spoon flies, sardines). Call Darrell Crawford (225) 644-7989.
- 5TH ANNUAL WODVILLE DEER & WILDLIFE FESTIVAL: 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Courthouse Square, Woodville, Miss. Exhibits, Wild Game Cook Off, Children’s Village. Admission $5, no fee children 5 and younger. Call Polly Rosenblatt (601) 888-9388. Website: http://www.deerandwildlifefestival.com.
AROUND THE CORNER
- OCT. 20-21 &MDASH; LOUISIANA STATE HIGH-POWER RIFLE CHAMPIONSHIP: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. Open to NRA-affiliated state association members. Fee $25/adult, $15/junior. CMP EIC “Leg” Match. Entry deadline Oct. 13. Field limited to 60 shooters. Call Jay D. Hunt (985) 768-8469. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: http://www.PaloAltoGunClub.com.
- OCT. 27 &MDASH; FALL N’ TIDE V KAYAK FISHING TOURNAMENT: Delta Marina, Empire. Sponsored by the Bayou Coast Kayak Fishing Club. Fee $40 includes meals, shirt, captain’s bag. Preregistration required. Website: www.bckfc.org.
- OCT. 20-25 &MDASH; 6TH NATIONAL CONFERENCE & EXPO ON COASTAL AND ESTUARINE HABITAT RESTORATION: Tampa Convention Center, Tampa, Fla. Coastal and estuarine habitat restoration. Registration fee $550, one-day fee $250. Email Suzanne Giles Simon: email@example.com. Website registration: https://www.cmpinc.net/rae.
- OCT. 25 &MDASH; S.T.A.R. AWARDS BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Live Oak Arabians, 6300 Jefferson Hwy., Baton Rouge. Prizes for winners in CCA-Louisiana summer-long fishing rodeo. Tickets $50 (11-and-under no fee), $500 tables. Dinner, awards, auction. Call Rad Trascher (225) 952-9200.
- OCT. 27 &MDASH; SAC-A-LAIT/BREAM FISHING WITH THE JIGGIN’ POLE CLASS: 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m., A.P. Tureaud Hall, LSU, Baton Rouge. J.B. Salter-taught Leisure Studies class, LSU, Baton Rouge. Fee $42/LSU Union/student members, $53/public. Hands-on and classroom instruction; artificial and live baits; patterns; and area fishing hot spots. Call LSU Leisure Studies (225) 578-5119.
- OCT. 17 &MDASH; SECOND ANNUAL SOUTH LOUISIANA BRANCH/QDMA GUN BASH: 4-H Mini Farm, AgCenter Drive, LSU, Baton Rouge. Dinner, gun raffles, deer stands, feeders, etc. Tickets $100, $800 tables. Originally Aug. 29. Call William Shockey (225) 291-7500.
- OCT. 27 &MDASH; SLU FISHING CLUB FALL FUNDRAISER TOURNAMENT: Postponed due to conflict with Southeastern Louisiana University homecoming. Date TBA. Call Andrew Cavell (225) 247-2549.
OPENED & CLOSED
- CLOSED: Elmer’s Island area.
- OPEN: State Fall Inshore Shrimp season (all inshore waters), but closed in Elmer’s Island-Fourchon area; recreational amberjack season.
- CLOSED-GULF OF MEXICO SEASONS: Recreational red snapper and gray triggerfish, state and federal waters and commercial king mackerel and gray triggerfish.
- DEER/ARCHERY: State Deer Areas 3 & 8 through Jan. 15; State Deer areas 1, 2, 4, 5 & 7 through Jan. 31. Deer Area 6 & Special Atchafalaya Basin/I-10 south (Oct. 1-15, bucks only) through Feb. 15. Either-sex deer allowed to be taken except where noted. Special license required: $10.50 for residents (ages 16-59); $26 for nonresidents (16 and older).
- SQUIRRELS/RABBITS: Statewide through Feb. 28. Daily limit 8 for each species.
- DOVES: North Zone, second split through Nov. 4. Saturday (Oct. 13), opening day, South Zone, second split through Nov. 25. Daily limit is 15. Possession limit is 30. Hours are one-half hour before sunrise to sunset.
- DEER/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS: Saturday (Oct. 13), opening day, State Deer Areas 3, 7 & 8 through Oct. 19. Oct. 20-26, State Deer Area 2. Either-sex deer allowed to be taken. Special license required: $10.50 for residents, $26 for nonresidents.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: Oct. 20-Nov. 2, State Deer Area 7 (still-hunt only). Oct. 20-Nov. 25, State Deer Areas 3 & 8 (still-hunt only). Oct. 27-Dec. 5, State Deer Area 2 (still-hunt only). State Basic & Big Game licenses required.
- NOTE: Deer tags are required for all hunters no matter their ages for taking deer in Louisiana. Tags must be affixed to the deer before taking it from the field.
Have an outdoors item or event? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org