- SOUTH LOUISIANA HIGHPOWER CLUB MATCH: 8:30 a.m., Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Range, 9300 St. Landry Rd. Gonzales. Fee $12 members, $15 nonmembers, $5 juniors. $15 annual membership in Civilian Marksmanship Program. Call George Serrett; (225) 272-3538. Email: email@example.com.
- 52ND ANNUAL ORIGINAL GRAND ISLE REDFISH RODEO: Final day/weigh-in, Bridge Side Marina, Grand Isle. Crowns Louisiana Master Redfish angler. Awards ceremony 2 p.m.
- RED STICK FLY FISHERS FLY-TYING SESSION: 7 p.m., Orvis Shop, 7601 Bluebonnet Blvd. Baton Rouge. Call Emmitt Simmons (225) 335-4596. Website: http://www.rsff.org
- FIN-ADDICT FLY FISHERS MEETING: 6:30 p.m., Spahr’s Restaurant, 1400 W. Tunnel Blvd, Houma. Call Stephen Robert (985) 850-0082. Website: http://finaddictflyfishers.blogspot.com.
- PUBLIC OYSTER SEED GROUND VESSEL PERMIT APPEALS BOARD MEETING: 10 a.m., Suite 200, University of New Orleans Advanced Technology Center, 2021 Lakeshore Dr., New Orleans.
- CCA ASCENSION CHAPTER BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Trademart A, Lamar Dixon Expo Center, St. Landry Road, Gonzales. Tickets $60, $30 spouse, $25 youths, $480 tables. Dinner, live/silent auctions, raffles. Call CCA Louisiana (225) 952-9200.
- LIVINGSTON PARISH HUNTER SIGHT-IN DAYS: Rescheduled for 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sept. 27-28 and 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 29. Livingston Parish Sheriff’s Office Training Center, Woodside Drive, Walker. No fee. Hunting rifles/pistols only. Friends of the NRA will check weapons, mount scopes and make minor repairs. Sight-in by LPSO Range staff and Special Ops Division. Only factory ammo. Weapons must be unloaded with actions open. Targets, ear protection, tools and cleaning equipment provided.
- BUTTERFLY BLAST: 8 a.m.-dark daily, Allen Acres, 5070 La. 399, Pitkin (2 miles south of La. 10 at Cravens). Study & observation of coccoons, eggs & butterflies and nightly hummingbird moths & firefly counts. Call Charles or Susan Allen (337) 328-2252. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ANGLING AGAINST AUTISM TEAM BASS TOURNAMENT: Safe daylight, Doiron’s Landing, Stephensville. Pick-your-partner. Fee $150/boat. Benefits Baton Rouge Speech & Hearing Foundation’ early intervention autism program. Call “Moonie” Bergeron (225) 938-2834 or Keith Thibodeaux (225) 938-0941. Website: http://www.AnglingAgainstAutism.com.
- 9TH ANNUAL CHS ALUMNI SPORTING CLAY SHOOT: 9 a.m., Hunters Run Gun Club, Port Allen. 50-target course. 4-shooter teams. Fee $50/gun, $60 shooting day, $40 students (includes lunch, 12-, 20-gauge shells). 2-man “Hurry Flurry” and Poker Run. Call CHS Alumni Office (225) 383-0459. Online registration: http://www.catholichigh.orgs.
- FLW OUTDOORS/BFL COWBOY DIVISION TOURNAMENT: Lake of the Pines, Texas. Last in five-tournament series. Website: http://www.flwoutdoors.com.
- TOYOTA TUNDRA BASSMASTER WEEKEND SERIES/LOUISIANA DIVISION: Grand Ecore Landing, Red River. Fee $200/boater, $100/co-angler. 20 percent of field in payout. Last in five-event series. Top 40 boaters/co-anglers qualify for Oct. 12-13 regional, Wright-Patman Lake. Series championship Nov. 7-10, Lake Sam Rayburn, Jasper, Texas. Call (888) 203-6222. Website: http://www.weekendseries.com.
SUNDAY, SEPT. 30
- FALSE RIVER BASS TRAIL TOURNAMENT: False River, public landing, Morrison Parkway, New Roads. Eighth in nine-tournament pick-your-partner series. Fee $40/boat. $60 membership fee. Oct. 12-13, End-of-Year Classic, site TBA. Call Kenny Mix (225) 638-4312.
AROUND THE CORNER
- OCT. 2 &MDASH; POINTE COUPEE CHAPTER DUCKS UNLIMITED DINNER/AUCTION: 5:30 p.m., Scott Civic Center, New Roads. Tickets $50, $60 couples. Tables $400. Steak dinner, live/silent auctions. Call Kenneth St. Romain (225) 638-8626, Keith Spragis (225) 638-8626 or Joey Laurent (225) 638-4666.
- OCT. 3 &MDASH; LIVINGSTON CHAPTER DELTA WATERFOWL BANQUET: 6 p.m., The Pavilion, Greystone Country Club, 9461 St. Andrews Ct., Denham Springs. Call Jamey Sandefur (225) 921-6348.
- OCT. 4-6 &MDASH; BASSMASTER SOUTHERN OPEN: Smith Lake, Jasper, Ala. Last in three-tournament series to qualify winners for 2013 Bassmaster Classic. Website: www.bassmaster.com.
- OCT. 5-6 &MDASH; FEDERATION OF FLY FISHERS SOUTHERN CONCLAVE & SHOW: 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. daily, Baxter County Fairgrounds, Mountain Home, Ark. Fee $10/day, $5/under 18. Programs, fly tying, casting clinics, youth & women’s activities, FFF casting certification. Call Chris Jackson (870) 499-3056. Website: www.southerncouncilfff.org.
- OCT. 5-7 &MDASH; TOUR DU TECHE: Bayou Teche. 135-mile staged race along the banks of Bayou Teche. Call Nicole Patin (337) 394-6232. Email: email@example.com.
- OCT. 6-7 &MDASH; IHMSA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP HANDGUN METALLIC SILHOUETTE MATCH: Ascension Parish Sheriffs Training Range, St. Landry Road, Gonzales. Smallbore (.22) and Field Pistol matches. Fee $8. Sponsored by Ascension Silhouette. Call Charlie Braud (225) 647-8288 or Philip Braud (225) 675-6451.
- OCT. 8 — Columbus Day
- OCT. 2 &MDASH; SPECKLED TROUT IN THE FALL SEMINAR: 6:30 p.m., Grace Presbyterian Church, Roselawn Boulevard, Lafayette. No fee. Pete Cooper Jr. lecturer. First in five-seminar series covering fly fishing for trout, redfish, flounder & other species. Future sessions same time/place Nov. 6, March 4, April 1 & May 6 (2013). Sponsored by Acadiana Fly Rodders.
- OCT. 27 &MDASH; SLU FISHING CLUB FALL FUNDRAISER TOURNAMENT: Safe daylight, Belle River Public Launch, Atchafalaya Spillway, Belle River. 3:30 p.m. weigh-in. Pick-your-partner event. Fee $100/team & $10 big-bass pot ante. $1,000 first-place guarantee. 5:30-6:30 a.m. tournament-day registration. Benefits Southeastern Louisiana University bass fishing team. Call Drew Cavell (225) 247-2549.
- OCT. 17 &MDASH; SECOND ANNUAL SOUTH LOUISIANA BRANCH/QDMA GUN BASH: 4-H Mini Farm, AgCenter Drive, LSU, Baton Rouge. Dinner, gun raffles, deer stands, feeders, etc. Tickets $100, $800 tables. Originally set Aug. 29. Call William Shockey (225) 291-7500.
- CCA PLAQUEMINES CHAPTER BANQUET: Belle Chasse Auditorium, 8398 La. 23, Belle Chasse. Originally set Sept. 6. Rescheduled date TBA.
- LOUISIANA SALTWATER TARPON TOURNAMENT: Scheduled for Sept. 14-15, Cypress Cove Marina, Venice. Sponsored by Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries. Website: http://www.lasaltwaterseries.com. Rescheduled date TBA.
OPENED & CLOSED
- CLOSED: Elmer’s Island area.
- EXTENDED: East Zone Wild Alligator Harvest season through Oct. 4. Extended after Hurricane Isaac.
- OPEN: State Fall Inshore Shrimp season (all inshore waters); recreational amberjack season.
- CLOSED-GULF OF MEXICO SEASONS: Recreational red snapper and gray triggerfish, state and federal waters and commercial king mackerel and gray triggerfish.
- TEAL: Statewide, through Sept. 30 (Sunday). Bluewing, greenwing and cinnamon teal only. Daily limit is 4. Possession limit is 8.
- RAILS/GALLINULES: Statewide, through Sept. 30 (Sunday). Daily limit for king and clapper rails is 15 in the aggregate. Possession limit is 30 after opening days of the two splits. Daily and possession limit on sora and Virginia rails is 25 in the aggregate. Daily limit on gallinules is 15. Possession limit is 30 after splits’ opening days.
- DOVES: First splits closed North and South zones. Second splits, Oct. 6-Nov. 4, North Zone; Oct. 13-Nov. 25, South Zone. Daily limit is 15. Possession limit is 30. Hours are one-half hour before sunrise to sunset.
- DEER/ARCHERY: State Deer Areas 3 and 8 through Jan. 15; Oct. 1-Jan. 31, State Deer areas 1, 2, 4, 5 and 7 (either-sex hunting). Oct. 1-Feb. 15, Deer Area 6 & Special Atchafalaya Basin/I-10 south (Oct. 1-15, bucks only; either-sex hunting all other days). Special license is required: $10.50 for residents (ages 16-59); $26 for nonresidents (16 and older).
- SQUIRRELS/RABBITS: Oct. 6-Feb. 28, statewide. Daily limit 8 for each species.
Have an outdoors item or event? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org