- RED STICK FLY FISHERS PROGRAM: 7 p.m., Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs (location changed because of water damage to Wildlife and Fisheries headquarters). Special guest Navy Commander Joel Stewart, author of “A Fly Rod in My Sea Bag.” Regular monthly program. Call Dan Weber (225) 892-4352. Website: http://www.rsff.org/.
- FERAL HOG SEMINAR: 6 p.m. supper, 6:30 p.m. program, Nelson Memorial building, LSU, Baton Rouge. USDA biologist Scott Woodruff seminar on damage control, feral hog biology and control techniques; Dr. Jim Lacour, LDWF veterinarian on hog diseases and a collared hog project. Preregistration $15 ($25 couples), $20/person after Sept. 4. Call AgCenter forester Brian Chandler (225) 683-3101. Email: email@example.com.
- FRIDAY NIGHT COOKIE JAR BASS SERIES: 7 p.m.-midnight, False River, Public Landing, Morrison Parkway, New Roads. Weekly through Sept. 14. Weekly fee $30 per boat/1-2 anglers. 14-inch minimum size for bass. Call Guy Perkins (225) 293-3402.
- ACROSS THE COURSE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. NRA-approved 200-, 300- and 600-yard tournament. Open to public. Fees, $12/adult, $5/junior (members), $15/adult, $5/junior (nonmembers). 80 rounds. Call Jay D. Hunt (985) 768-8469. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: PaloAltoGunClub.com
- LIVINGSTON PARISH HUNTER SIGHT-IN DAYS: Rescheduled for 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sept. 27-28 and 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 29. Livingston Parish Sheriff’s Office Training Center, Woodside Drive, Walker. No fee. Hunting rifles/pistols only. Friends of the NRA will check weapons, mount scopes and make minor repairs. Sight-in by LPSO Range staff and Special Ops Division. Only factory ammo. Weapons must be unloaded with actions open. Targets, ear protection, tools and cleaning equipment provided.
- CCA PLAQUEMINES CHAPTER BANQUET: Belle Chasse Auditorium, 8398 La. 23, Belle Chasse. Originally set Sept. 6. Rescheduled date TBA.
- SECOND ANNUAL SOUTH LOUISIANA BRANCH/QDMA GUN BASH: 4-H Mini Farm, AgCenter Drive, LSU, Baton Rouge. Dinner, gun raffles. Tickets $100, $800 tables. Originally set Aug. 29. Call William Shockey (225) 291-7500. Rescheduled date TBA.
- LOUISIANA SALTWATER TARPON TOURNAMENT: Scheduled for Sept. 14-15, Cypress Cove Marina, Venice. Sponsored by Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries. Website: http://www.lasaltwaterseries.com. Rescheduled date TBA.
- OPEN: State Fall Inshore Shrimp season (all inshore waters) and recreational amberjack season.
- CLOSED-GULF OF MEXICO SEASONS: Recreational red snapper and gray triggerfish, state and federal waters and commercial king mackerel and gray triggerfish.
AROUND THE CORNER
- SEPT. 21-23 — LAKE CONCORDIA FLY FISHING TRIP: Fall fly fishing for bass and panfish. Sponsored by Red Stick Fly Fishers club. Registration required. Call Jack Lithgoe (225) 362-7901. Website: http://www.rsff.org/.
- SEPT. 22 — LOUISIANA HUNTING & FISHING DAY: 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Waddill Outdoors Education Center, 4142 N. Flannery Rd., Baton Rouge. Free. Also Minden, Woodworth, Monroe. Kids fishing, fly casting, fly tying, shooting, canoeing, archery, bird watching, game tagging, game cooking, conservation organizations. Website: http://www.wlf.state.la.us.
- SEPT. 22 — FLY TYING AT BASS PRO SHOPS: 9:30 a.m.-noon, Conference Room, Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Call Ron Brooks (225) 271-3100.
- SEPT. 23 — CLEAN OUT YOUR FREEZER DAY: 1-4 p.m. Locations throughout Capital City area. Frozen game and fish collection. Sponsored by Hunters for the Hungry. Benefits Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank.
- SEPT. 23 — SOUTH LOUISIANA HIGHPOWER CLUB MATCH: 8:30 a.m., Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Range, 9300 St. Landry Rd. Gonzales. Fee $12 members, $15 nonmembers, $5 juniors. $15 annual membership in Civilian Marksmanship Program. Call George Serrett; (225) 272-3538. Email: email@example.com.
- SEPT. 24 — RED STICK FLY FISHERS FLY-TYING SESSION: 7 p.m., Orvis Shop, 7601 Bluebonnet Blvd. Baton Rouge. Call Emmitt Simmons (225) 335-4596. Website: http://www.rsff.org.
- SEPT. 24 — FIN-ADDICT FLY FISHERS MEETING: 6:30 p.m., Spahr’s Restaurant, 1400 W. Tunnel Blvd, Houma. Call Stephen Robert (985) 850-0082. Website: http://finaddictflyfishers.blogspot.com.
- SEPT. 22 — 11TH ANNUAL JACOB
DUGAS MEMORIAL BASS TOURNAMENT: Doiron’s Landing. Pick-your-partner benefit bass tournament. Fee $180/team. Call Philip Waguespack (225) 571-4169 or Curt Parent (225) 337-2996.
- SEPT. 27 — CCA ASCENSION CHAPTER BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Trademart A, Lamar Dixon Expo Center, St. Landry Road, Gonzales. Tickets $60, $30 spouse, $25 youths, $480 tables. Dinner, live/silent auctions, raffles. Call CCA Louisiana (225) 952-9200.
- SEPT. 29 — ANGLING AGAINST AUTISM TEAM BASS TOURNAMENT: Safe daylight, Doiron’s Landing, Stephensville. Pick-your-partner. Fee $150/boat. Benefits Baton Rouge Speech & Hearing Foundation’ early intervention autism program. Call “Moonie” Bergeron (225) 938-2834 or Keith Thibodeaux (225) 938-0941. Website: http://www.AnglingAgainstAutism.com.
- SEPT. 29 — 9TH ANNUAL CHS ALUMNI SPORTING CLAY SHOOT: 9 a.m., Hunters Run Gun Club, Port Allen. 50-target course. 4-shooter teams. Fee $50/gun, $60 shooting day, $40 students (includes lunch, 12-, 20-gauge shells). 2-man “Hurry Flurry” & Poker Run. Call CHS Alumni Office (225) 383-0459. Online registration: http://www.
- DOVES: South Zone: Through Sunday (Sept. 9); North Zone: Through Sept. 16. Daily limit is 15. Possession limit is 30. Hours are one-half hour before sunrise to sunset thereafter. Mourning, white-winged, Eurasian collared and ringed-turtle doves allowed. No bag limit on Eurasian collared-doves nor ringed turtle-doves provided fully feathered wing and head remain attached to the carcass of the bird. Fully dressed Eurasian-collared and ringed turtle-doves must be included in the daily bag.
- TEAL: Statewide, Saturday (Sept. 15) opening day, through Sept. 30. Bluewing, greenwing and cinnamon teal only. Daily limit is 4. Possession limit is 8.
- RAILS/GALLINULES: Statewide, Saturday (Sept. 15) opening day, through Sept. 30. Daily limit for king and clapper rails is 15 in the aggregate. Possession limit is 30 after opening days of the two splits. Daily and possession limit on sora and Virginia rails is 25 in the aggregate. Daily limit on gallinules is 15. Possession limit is 30 after splits’ opening days.
- DEER/ARCHERY: Saturday (Sept. 15), opening day, State Deer Areas 3 & 8. A special license is required: $10.50 for residents (ages 16-59); $26 for nonresidents (16 and older). Through Jan. 15.