- Labor Day
- BENGAL TIGER CHAPTER/DELTA WATERFOWL FALL MEMBERSHIP BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., JL’s Place, 1115 Bob Pettit, Baton Rouge. Dinner, auctions, raffles. Tickets $40 (includes DW annual membership). Call Josh Zumo (225) 939-9585. Email: email@example.com.
- BASSMASTER CENTRAL OPEN: Fort Gibson Lake, Wagoner, Okla. Last in three-tournament series. Qualifies winner for 2013 Bassmaster Classic. Website: http://www.bassmaster.com.
- FRIDAY NIGHT COOKIE JAR BASS SERIES: 7 p.m.-midnight, False River, Public Landing, Morrison Parkway, New Roads. Weekly through Sept. 14. Weekly fee $30 per boat/1-2 anglers. 14-inch minimum size for bass. Call Guy Perkins (225) 293-3402.
- FLY TYING CLASS: 9 a.m.-noon, Ascension Parish Library, 708 S. Irma Blvd. Gonzales. No fee. Basics of tying fresh and saltwater flies (Bendbacks, poppin’ bugs, crickets, spoon flies, sardines). Call Darrell Crawford (225) 644-7989.
- IHMSA HANDGUN METALLIC SILHOUETTE MATCH: Ascension Parish Sheriffs Training Range, St. Landry Road, Gonzales. Smallbore (.22) and Field Pistol matches. Fee $8.
Sponsored by Ascension Silhouette. Call Charlie Braud (225) 647-8288 or Philip Braud (225) 675-6451.
- PRECISION RIFLE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. 600-yard match. Website: PaloAltoGunClub.com.
- THE CAMP ADVANCED/INSTRUCTORS PREP FLY FISHING SCHOOL: 8 a.m.-5 p.m., The Camp Facility, Breaux Bridge. Fee $135 includes lunch, refreshments, handouts. FFF-certified instructors. Call Keith Richard (337) 344-0908. Website: www.thecampfly
- SECOND ANNUAL SOUTH LOUISIANA BRANCH/QDMA GUN BASH: 4-H Mini Farm, AgCenter Drive, LSU, Baton Rouge. Dinner, gun raffles. Tickets $100, $800 tables. Call William Shockey (225) 291-7500. Rescheduled date TBA.
- OPEN: State Fall Inshore Shrimp season (all inshore waters); recreational amberjack season.
- CLOSED-GULF OF MEXICO SEASONS: Recreational red snapper & gray triggerfish, state and federal waters & commercial king mackerel & gray triggerfish.
AROUND THE CORNER
- SEPT 10 &MDASH; RED STICK FLY FISHERS PROGRAM: 7 p.m., location TBA (water damage to state Wildlife and Fisheries headquarters forced venue change). Regular monthly program. Call Dan Weber, (225) 892-4352. Website: www.rsff.org.
- SEPT. 11 &MDASH; FERAL HOG SEMINAR: 6 p.m. supper, 6:30 p.m. program, Nelson Memorial building, LSU, Baton Rouge. USDA biologist Scott Woodruff seminar on damage control, feral hog biology & control techniques; Dr. Jim Lacour, LDWF veterinarian on hog diseases and a collared hog project. Preregistration $15 ($25 couples), $20/person after Sept. 4. Call AgCenter forester Brian Chandler (225) 683-3101. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SEPT. 29 &MDASH; ANGLING AGAINST AUTISM TEAM BASS TOURNAMENT: Safe daylight, Doiron’s Landing, Stephensville. Pick-your-partner. Fee $150/boat. Benefits Baton Rouge Speech & Hearing Foundation’ early intervention autism program. Call “Moonie” Bergeron (225) 938-2834 or Keith Thibodeaux (225) 938-0941. Website: http://www.AnglingAgainstAutism.com.
- DOVES: South Zone: Through Sept. 9; North Zone: Through Sept. 16. Daily limit is 15. Possession limit is 30. Hours are one-half hour before sunrise to sunset thereafter. Mourning, white-winged, Eurasian collared and ringed-turtle doves allowed. No bag limit on Eurasian collared-doves nor ringed turtle-doves provided fully feathered wing and head remain attached to the carcass of the bird. Fully dressed Eurasian-collared and ringed turtle-doves must be included in the daily bag.
- TEAL: Sept. 15-30 statewide. Bluewing, greenwing and cinnamon teal only. Daily limit is 4. Possession limit is 8.
- RAILS/GALLINULES: Statewide: Sept. 15-30, first split. Daily limit for king and clapper rails is 15 in the aggregate. Possession limit is 30 after opening days of the two splits. Daily and possession limit on sora and Virginia rails is 25 in the aggregate. Daily limit on gallinules is 15. Possession limit is 30 after splits’ opening days.
- DEER/ARCHERY: Sept. 15 opening day. State Deer Areas 3 & 8. A special license is required: $10.50 for residents (ages 16-59); $26 for nonresidents (16 and older). Through Jan. 15.