October 04, 2012
- SECOND ANNUAL SOUTH LOUISIANA BRANCH/QDMA GUN BASH: 6 p.m., 4-H Mini Farm, AgCenter Drive, LSU, Baton Rouge. Dinner, gun raffles. Tickets $100, $800 tables. Call William Shockey (225) 291-7500. Rescheduled date TBA.
- WEEKLY FRIDAY NIGHT COOKIE JAR BASS TOURNAMENT: Aug. 31, False River, Public Landing, Morrison Parkway, New Roads.
- 52ND ANNUAL ORIGINAL GRAND ISLE REDFISH RODEO: Aug. 31-Sept. 2, Bridge Side Marina, Grand Isle.
- SKULLS, SKINS & SCAT: WHAT ANIMAL IS THAT? Sept. 1, Fairview-Riverside State Park, Madisonville.
- MIDRANGE RIFLE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. 600-yard prone match includes F-Class (any rifle, any sight, any support), FTR.223 &.308 with a bipod & conventional prone (any caliber). Website: http://PaloAltoGunClub.com.
- FALSE RIVER BASS TRAIL TOURNAMENT: Old River Landing, Old River, Morganza. Seventh in nine-tournament, pick-your-partner series. Fee $40/boat. $60 membership fee. Call Kenny Mix (225) 638-4312.
- MORGAN CITY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION RACES: Lake End Park, Morgan City. 14 powerboat racing classes. Call Marie Siracusa (985) 519-2678.
- Labor Day
- BENGAL TIGER CHAPTER/DELTA WATERFOWL FALL MEMBERSHIP BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., JL’s Place, 1115 Bob Pettit, Baton Rouge. Dinner, auctions, raffles. Tickets $40 (includes DW annual membership). Call Josh Zumo (225) 939-9585. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
THURSDAY, SEPT. 6
- BASSMASTER CENTRAL OPEN: Through Sept. 8. Fort Gibson Lake, Wagoner, Okla. Last in three-tournament series. Qualifies winner for 2013 Bassmaster Classic. Website: http://www.bassmaster.com.
FRIDAY, SEPT. 7
- FRIDAY NIGHT COOKIE JAR BASS SERIES: 7 p.m.-midnight, False River, Public Landing, Morrison Parkway, New Roads. Weekly through Sept. 14. Weekly fee $30 per boat/1-2 anglers. 14-inch minimum size for bass. Call Guy Perkins (225) 293-3402.
- OPEN: State Fall Inshore Shrimp season (all inshore waters); recreational amberjack season.
- CLOSED-GULF OF MEXICO SEASONS: Recreational red snapper & gray triggerfish, state and federal waters & commercial king mackerel & gray triggerfish.
AROUND THE CORNER
- SEPT. 8 &MDASH; FLY TYING CLASS: 9 a.m.-noon, Ascension Parish Library, 708 S. Irma Blvd. Gonzales. No fee. Basics of tying fresh and saltwater flies (Bendbacks, poppin’ bugs, crickets, spoon flies, sardines). Call Darrell Crawford (225) 644-7989.
- SEPT. 8 &MDASH; IHMSA HANDGUN METALLIC SILHOUETTE MATCH: Ascension Parish Sheriffs Training Range, St. Landry Road, Gonzales. Smallbore (.22) and Field Pistol matches. Fee $8. Sponsored by Ascension Silhouette. Call Charlie Braud (225) 647-8288 or Philip Braud (225) 675-6451.
- SEPT. 8 &MDASH; PRECISION RIFLE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. 600-yard match. Website: PaloAltoGunClub.com.
- SEPT. 8 &MDASH; THE CAMP ADVANCED/INSTRUCTORS PREP FLY FISHING SCHOOL: 8 a.m.-5 p.m., The Camp Facility, Breaux Bridge. Fee $135 includes lunch, refreshments, handouts. FFF-certified instructors. Call Keith Richard (337) 344-0908. Website: www.thecampflyfishingschool.com.
- SEPT 10 &MDASH; RED STICK FLY FISHERS PROGRAM: 7 p.m., Louisiana Room, state Wildlife and Fisheries headquarters, Quail Drive, Baton Rouge. Regular monthly program. Call Dan Weber, (225) 892-4352. Website: www.rsff.org.
- SEPT. 11 &MDASH; FERAL HOG SEMINAR: 6 p.m. supper, 6:30 p.m. program, Nelson Memorial building, LSU, Baton Rouge. USDA biologist Scott Woodruff seminar on damage control, feral hog biology & control techniques; Dr. Jim Lacour, LDWF veterinarian on hog diseases and a collared hog project. Preregistration $15 ($25 couples), $20/person after Sept. 4. Call AgCenter forester Brian Chandler (225) 683-3101. Email: email@example.com.
- SEPT. 29 &MDASH; ANGLING AGAINST AUTISM TEAM BASS TOURNAMENT: Safe daylight, Doiron’s Landing, Stephensville. Pick-your-partner. Fee $150/boat. Benefits Baton Rouge Speech & Hearing Foundation’ early intervention autism program. Call “Moonie” Bergeron (225) 938-2834 or Keith Thibodeaux (225) 938-0941. Website: http://www.AnglingAgainstAutism.com.
- DOVES: South Zone: Sept. 1-9; North Zone: Sept. 1-16. Daily limit is 15. Possession limit is 30. Hours are noon-sunset Sept. 1, and one-half hour before sunrise to sunset thereafter. Mourning, white-winged, Eurasian collared and ringed-turtle doves allowed. No bag limit on Eurasian collared-doves nor ringed turtle-doves provided fully feathered wing and head remain attached to the carcass of the bird. Fully dressed Eurasian-collared and ringed turtle-doves must be included in the daily bag.