August 16, 2012
- LOUISIANA SHRIMP TASK FORCE MEETING: 1 p.m., Louisiana Room, Wildlife & Fisheries state headquarters, Quail Drive, Baton Rouge. Top agenda items: update on Seafood Certification Program, discussion of Louisiana Coastal Master Plan.
- 90TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL GRAND ISLE TARPON RODEO: Sand Dollar Marina, Grand Isle. Tickets $25. Weigh-in schedule: 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursday, Friday; 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday.
- 14TH ANNUAL FAUX PAS LODGE FISHING RODEO: Venice Marina, Venice. Tickets $40. Weigh-in schedule: 5-8 p.m. Thursday, Friday; 3-6 p.m. Saturday.
- CARHARTT BASSMASTER COLLEGE SERIES NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Little Rock, Ark. 71 college teams compete two days (through Thursday) on Arkansas River & Lake Maumelle. Field cut to top 5 teams Friday on “mystery lake.” Top 4 teams compete as individuals in bracket-style elimination Saturday-Sunday for berth in Bassmaster Classic. Website: http://www.bassmaster.com.
- FRIDAY NIGHT COOKIE JAR BASS SERIES: 7 p.m.-midnight, False River, Public Landing, Morrison Parkway, New Roads. Weekly through Sept. 14. Weekly fee $30 per boat/1-2 anglers. 14-inch minimum size for bass. Call Guy Perkins (225) 293-3402.
- HUMMINGBIRD CELEBRATION: 6 p.m., Friday, Rosedown Plantation, St. Francisville; 7 a.m., Saturday, 2 private gardens, West Feliciana Parish. Speakers, hummingbird banding. Call West Feliciana Tourist Commission (225) 635-4224. Website: http://www.stfrancisville.us.
- FLY TYING AT BASS PRO SHOPS: 9:30 a.m.-noon, Conference Room, Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Month event. Call Ron Brooks (225) 271-3100.
- FIN-ADDICT FLY FISHERS MEETING: 6:30 p.m., Spahr’s Restaurant, 1400 W. Tunnel Blvd, Houma. Call Stephen Robert (985) 850-0082. Website: http://finaddictflyfishers.blogspot.com.
- WEDNESDAY EVENING BASS TOURNAMENT: 5 p.m., Canal Bank Club, Diversion Canal, Maurepas. Pick-your-partner. Three-bass limit. Fee $40/boat. Weekly. Call Canal Bank Club (225) 698-9074.
THURSDAY, AUG. 2
- WHITETAIL DEER SUMMER SEMINAR: 6 p.m., Louisiana Room, Wildlife & Fisheries state headquarters, Baton Rouge. Harvest info, research projects, update on Louisiana black bear status, “Shoot, Don’t Shoot” program. No fee. Sponsored by LSU AgCenter, South Louisiana Branch/QDMA, La. Department of Wildlife & Fisheries. Call Don Don Reed (225) 683-5848. Reservations requested to Tammy Bosch (225) 291-7500.
- STATEWIDE TOURNAMENT & ANGLERS’ RODEO: Summer-long saltwater fishing event through Labor Day, Sept. 3. Truck/boats for tagged redfish. Prizes in species categories. Sponsored by CCA-Louisiana, CCA membership/$25 entry fee required (no fee for youth division). Call CCA-Louisiana (225) 952-9200.
AROUND THE CORNER
- AUG. 3-5 &MDASH; 62ND ANNUAL TERREBONNE SPORTSMAN’S LEAGUE FISHING RODEO: East Park Recreational Center, Houma. Fee $20. Divisions: Freshwater, Offshore, Shoreline, Fly Fishing, Tag & Release, Bluewater, Scuba. Call Larry Jordan (985) 601-4110 or Kevin Whitney (985) 851-4537.
- AUG. 4 &MDASH; GREENWING DAY: 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Bear Creek on the Bayou Retrievers, 9481 John Thomas Lane, Slaughter. Gun safety, retriever & birds of prey demos, shooting gallery, archery & kayaking. Fee $15, includes annual Ducks Unlimited membership. Lunch provided. advande sign-up requested. Call Barry Hanks (225) 572-1886. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- AUG. 4 &MDASH; 4TH ANNUAL MEMORIAL FISHING FOR FRANKIE BASS TOURNAMENT: 4:30 a.m. check-in/registration, noon weigh-in, Pier 90, U.S. 90, Avondale. Pick-your-partner benefit for Michael Diez Jr. Fee $100/team, $10 optional big-bass pot. Five-bass limit. Call Audrey Raziano (985) 703-0135/(985) 785-8411.
- AUG. 4 &MDASH; MID RANGE RIFLE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. 600-yard prone match includes F-Class (any rifle, any sight, any support), FTR.223 &.308 with a bipod & conventional prone (any caliber). Website: PaloAltoGunClub.com.
- AUG. 4 &MDASH; MIKE ‘BIG DADDY’ BOURGEOIS MEMORIAL FISHING RODEO: Bridge Side Marina, Grand Isle. Call marina (985) 787-2419.
- AUG. 4-5 &MDASH; HOOK ON-HOOK UP WITH CLEOPATRA FISHING RODEO: CoCo Marina, Cocodrie. Call Liz Trosclair (985) 876-5394 or Karla Yelverton (985) 637-1550.
- AUG. 4-5 &MDASH; CAPITAL CITY BASS OPEN TEAM “CLASSIC”: Site TBA. Last in 2012 series. Call Jesse Brooks (225) 241-4996.
- AUG. 5 &MDASH; JR. CHOUPIQUE RODEO: 9 a.m.-noon, St. James Boat Club/Blind River, U.S. 61, Gramercy. Ages 15 and younger. Fee: 25 cents. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Bank fishing only. Bring your own tackle. Door prizes. Awards for largest & most fish in three age groups. Call St. James Boat Club (225) 869-8966 or Craig Calcagno (225) 206-2476/(225) 869-9152.
- AUG. 5 &MDASH; IHMSA HANDGUN METALLIC SILHOUETTE MATCH: Ascension Parish Sheriffs Training Range, St. Landry Road, Gonzales. Smallbore (.22) and Field Pistol matches. Fee $8. Sponsored by Ascension Silhouette. Call Charlie Braud (225) 647-8288.
- GULF OF MEXICO SEASONS: Closed seasons include: Greater amberjack (through July 31), red snapper & gray triggerfish.
- SPRING INSHORE SHRIMP SEASON: Closed all inshore shrimping except open waters of Breton and Chandeleur sounds. All state “outside” waters also open except for areas closed due to the BP-Deepwater Horizon oil spill outlined on the LDWF website: http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/oilspill.
- AUG. 10-11 &MDASH; NRA BASIC PERSONAL PROTECTION IN THE HOME COURSE: 5:30-10 p.m. Aug. 10; 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 11, Southwest Mississippi Gun Club, McComb, Miss. Fee $65. Registration deadline Aug. 1. Eye, hearing protection recommended & students should bring lunch/beverage for Aug. 11. Email Doug Bowser: email@example.com.
- AUG. 11 &MDASH; 19TH ANNUAL PELICAN STATE FRIENDS OF NRA BANQUET: Crowne Plaza Hotel, Baton Rouge. Benefits Capital City area youth shooting sports and education. Sponsors and donations welcomed. Call Rob Walker (225) 938-1234.
- AUG. 17 &MDASH; HOOKS, LINE & SNEAKERS FISHING TOURNAMENT: Joe’s Landing, Lafitte. Benefits Children’s Hospital, New Orleans. Sponsored by NBA Retired Players Assn. $2,000 donation includes three-angler charter with former NBA/ABA player. Website: http://www.chnola.org/fishing.
- AUG. 18 &MDASH; ONE MAN CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE SPORTING CLAYS: Aug. 18, Riverside Sporting Clays, 52400 La. 16, Denham Springs. Fee $1,200/4-shooter team. Other sponsorship levels available. Benefits Prostate Cancer Research/Tulane Cancer Center. Website: http://www.onemanshoot.com.
- AUG. 18 &MDASH; 11TH ANNUAL BATON ROUGE CHAPTER, ROCKY MOUNTAIN ELK FOUNDATION BIG GAME BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Marriott Hotel, 5500 Hilton Ave., Baton Rouge. Dinner, live/silent auctions and Wall of Guns. Call Russ Bamgardner (225) 977-5198 or Oren May (225) 924-5303.
- AUG. 25 &MDASH; LOUISIANA WOMEN IN THE WILD HUNTING BASICS WORKSHOP: Waddill Outdoor Education Center, North Flannery Road, Baton Rouge. Class size limited. Preregistraiton required. Call Karen Crabtree (318) 766-8144. Email Christine Pocorello/Cabela’s: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send your outdoors item to: email@example.com