- FRIDAY NIGHT COOKIE JAR BASS SERIES: 7 p.m.-midnight, False River, Public Landing, Morrison Parkway, New Roads. Weekly through Sept. 14. Weekly fee $30 per boat/1-2 anglers. 14-inch minimum size for bass. Call Guy Perkins (225) 293-3402.
- LDWF SUMMER DAY CAMP REGISTRATION DEADLINE: June 25-29 & July 23-27 day camps, Waddill Wildlife Education Center, North Flannery Road, Baton Rouge. No fee. Boys & girls ages 12-16. Registration website: http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/summerdaycamp2012.
- 16TH ANNUAL GRAND ISLE SPECKLED TROUT RODEO: Bridge Side Marina, Grand Isle. Louisiana Master Trout Angler tournament. Open categories: Speckled trout, redfish (open and under-27 inches long), flounder, sheepshead, cobia, mangrove snapper, drum and white trout. Junior categories: Speckled trout, redfish and hardhead catfish. Fee $20. Call Bridge Side (985) 787-2419 or Bob Sevin (985) 787-2968.
- LOUISIANA SALTWATER YOUTH TOURNAMENT SERIES: Myrtle Grove Marina, 161 Marina Rd. Port Sulphur. First in two-event series. Next event: June 9, Elmer’s Island, Grand Isle. Sponsored by Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries. Website: http://www.lasaltwaterseries.com/.
- OPENING DAY/STATEWIDE TOURNAMENT & ANGLERS’ RODEO &MDASH; S.T.A.R.: Opening day, summer-long saltwater fishing event through Labor Day. Sept. 3. Truck/boats for specially tagged redfish. Prizes in several species categories. Sponsored by CCA-Louisiana. Entry fee and CCA membership required. Call CCA-Louisiana (225) 952-9200.
- CMP M1 GARAND RIFLE CLINIC: 8:30 a.m. registration, 9 a.m. class. Southwest Gun Club, U.S. Hwy. 98, McComb, Miss. Fee $40, includes ammo/no fee 17 and younger ($10 club membership required). Participants should bring lunch, drinks, ground cloth, ear and eye protection. Successful qualifying (35 rounds) for 18 and older qualifies to purchase M1 Garand from Civilian Marksmanship Program. Call Doug Bowser (601) 341-8797. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- THE CAMP ADVANCED FLY FISHING SCHOOL: 8 a.m.-5 p.m., The Camp Facility, Breaux Bridge. Fee $135 includes lunch, refreshments, handouts. FFF-certified instructors. Call Keith Richard (337) 344-0908. Website: http://www.thecampflyfishingschool.com/.
- SOUTH LOUISIANA HIGHPOWER CLUB MATCH: 8:30 a.m., Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Range, 9300 St. Landry Rd. Gonzales. Fee $12 members, $15 nonmembers, $5 juniors. $15 annual membership in Civilian Marksmanship Program. Call George Serrett; (225) 272-3538. Email: email@example.com.
- CAPITAL CITY BASS ELITE TEAMS TOURNAMENT: Bayou Pigeon Public Landing, Atchafalaya Spillway. $30 membership fee. $100/team tournament fee. 100 percent payback. Seventh in eight-tournament series. Tournament champions and Top 10 overall qualify for Aug. 4-5 “classic.” Call Jesse Brooks (225) 241-4996. Website: http://www.capitalcitybassla.com.
- BLESSING OF THE BOATS: 2 p.m., Morrison Parkway, False River, New Roads. Memorial Day weekend honoring U.S. military. All watercraft blessed for spring-summer boating season. Sponsored by Kiwanis Club of Pointe Coupee.
- MEMORIAL DAY
- RED STICK FLY FISHERS FLY-TYING SESSION: 7 p.m., Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Call Emmitt Simmons (225) 335-4596. Website: http://www.rsff.org/.
- FIN-ADDICT FLY FISHERS MEETING: 6:30 p.m., Spahr’s Restaurant, 1400 W. Tunnel Blvd, Houma. Call Stephen Robert (985) 850-0082. Website: http://finaddictflyfishers.blogspot.com/.
- WEDNESDAY EVENING BASS TOURNAMENT: 5 p.m., Canal Bank Club, Diversion Canal, Maurepas. Pick-your-partner. Three-bass limit. Fee $40/boat. Weekly. Call Canal Bank Club (225) 698-9074.
THURSDAY, MAY 31
- CCA POINT COUPEE CHAPTER BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., William H. Scott Memorial Civic Center, New Roads. Tickets $60, $30 spouses, $25 youths, $480 tables. Dinner, live/silent auctions. Call CCA (225) 952-9200.
AROUND THE CORNER
- MAY 30-JUNE 3 &MDASH; DUCKS UNLIMITED’S 75TH NATIONAL CONVENTION: Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center, Nashville. Website: http://www.ducks.org/.
- JUNE 1-2 &MDASH; NRA BASIC PERSONAL PROTECTION IN THE HOME COURSE: 6-10 p.m. June 1, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. June 2, Southwest Mississippi Gun Club, McComb, Miss. Qualifies for Louisiana Concealed Carry Permit. Fee $65. Preregistration deadline May 21. Call Doug Bowser (601) 341-8797. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- JUNE 2 &MDASH; 27TH ANNUAL LAKE CHARLES CCA TROUT SHOOTOUT: 5:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Calcasieu Point Landing, Lake Charles. Fee $30 (entrants must be Coastal Conservation Association members). Weigh-in begins 7 a.m. Open and youth divisions. Call Raymond Little (337) 288-5685 or Tony Berrigan (225) 952-9200.
- JUNE 2 &MDASH; CENTRAL LA BRANCH QDMA ANNUAL DEER SCORING EVENT & FIELD DAY: 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Cottonport Bank Camp, Marksville. Bring antlers/mounts to be scored by state wildlife biologists. Also seminar on professional hog-control methods (traps, equipment), maximization of land to improve wildlife habitat, effective coyote trapping techniques, state biologists’ advice on programs, management and biology. No fee. Lunch, refreshments included. Call Tammy Lemoine (318) 359-3003 or Darren Boudreaux (225) 573-2035.
- JUNE 2 &MDASH; NATIONAL GUARD FLW COLLEGE SOUTHERN CONFERENCE BASS TOURNAMENT: 6:30 a.m., Cypress Bend Park, Many. Final conference qualifier for 40 college teams including, LSU, LSU-Shreveport, La. Tech, McNeese State, Northwestern State, Southeastern Louisiana, UL-Lafayette, UL-Monroe, 1:30 p.m. weigh-in.
- JUNE 2 &MDASH; SIXTH ANNUAL FISHIN’ CHIX PINK RUBBER BOOTS FISHING RODEO: 6:30 a.m.-2 p.m., Flounder’s, Pensacola Beach, Pensacola, Fla. Fee $350/charter boat competitor, $200 no-charter competitor, $150 for Fishin’ Chix members. Benefits Wounded Warriors Project. Website: http:// www.fishinchix.com.
- JUNE 5-6 & JUNE 7-8&MDASH; THE GULF OF MEXICO FISHERY MANAGEMENT COUNCIL MEETING: Standing and Special Shrimp (June 5-6) & Special Reef Fish (June 7-8) committees, Gulf Council office, Suite 1100, 2203 N. Lois Ave., Tampa, Fla. Shrimp topics include brown, white & pink shrimp overfishing; Reef fish topics include stock methods, Generic Annual Catch Limits/Accountability Measures Amendment, vermilion snapper & mutton snapper update assessment. Call GMFMC (813) 348-1630.
- JUNE 7-9 &MDASH; SWOLFEST FISHING RODEO: Sand Dollar Marina, Grand Isle.
- JUNE 8-10 &MDASH; UPLIFTING THE COAST FESTIVAL: State Fairgrounds, Airline Highway, Baton Rouge. Volunteers needed. Call Paul or Libby Foret (225) 268-4254. Email: email@example.com.
- JUNE 6 &MDASH; AMERICA’S BOATING COURSE: 6:30-8:30 p.m., LSU Leisure Class, Baton Rouge. 2-hour, four-session course meets June 6, 13, 20, 27. Baton Rouge Sail & Power Squadron course qualifies for state Safe Boating Education/Certificate course. Next course sessions 6:30-8:30 p.m. July 10-31. Call LSU Union (225) 578-5119. Website: http://www.lsu.edu/leisureclasses.
- JUNE 16 &MDASH; LOUISIANA DELTA BRANCH/QDMA JOE HAMILTON FOUNDING FATHER’S FUN SHOOT: 8 a.m., Honey Brake gun Club, 2297 Diversion Canal Levee Rd., Jonesville. 4-shooter teams, 15-stand sporting clays. Fee $250/team, $85 individuals, includes lunch. Sponsorships available. Call Pail Ferrell (318) 792-1893.
- SPRING SQUIRREL SEASON: Through Sunday (May 27), private lands. Reduced season on some wildlife management areas. Closed on most federal lands and refuges.