- LOUISIANA WILDLIFE & FISHERIES COMMISSION MEETING: 9:30 a.m., Louisiana Room, state Wildlife & Fisheries headquarters, Baton Rouge.
- CCA LAKE CHARLES BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Burton Coliseum, Lake Charles. Dinner & auctions. Tickets $60, $30 spouses, $25 youths, $480 tables. Call CCA (225) 952-9200.
- BASSMASTER ELITE SERIES: Douglas Lake Challenge, Dandridge, Tenn. Fourth in 8-tournament series to determine 2013 Bassmaster Classic qualifiers. Website: www.bassmaster.com.
- CCA LIVINGSTON CHAPTER BANQUET: 6 p.m., North Park Fitness Center, Denham Springs. Dinner & auctions. Tickets $60, $30 spouses, $25 youths, $480 tables. Call Nolan Reynerson (225) 952-9200.
- BPS SET YOUR SIGHTS-DAY 1: 6 p.m., Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Guns, accessories, reloading basics for modern rifles. First in three-day series. Website: http://www.basspro.com.
- ENVIRONMENTAL FILM SERIES: 6:30 p.m., 162 Croydon Ave., Baton Rouge. Film: Gasland. Sponsored by Louisiana Environmental Action Network & Lower Mississippi Riverkeeper. Website: http://www.leanweb.org.
- FRIDAY NIGHT COOKIE JAR BASS SERIES: 7 p.m.-midnight, False River, Public Landing, Morrison Parkway, New Roads. Weekly through Sept. 14. Weekly fee $30 per boat/1-2 anglers. 14-inch minimum size for bass. Call Guy Perkins (225) 293-3402.
- LOUISIANA SALTWATER SPECKLED TROUT SERIES TOURNAMENT: Seabrook Harbor, 5801 France Rd. New Orleans. Pick-your-partners, trout-only, catch, weigh, release tournament. First in 2-event series. Sponsored by Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries. Website: http://www.lasaltwaterseries.com.
- FLY FISHING 101 COURSE: Orvis Company Store, Perkins Rowe, Baton Rouge. Hour-long instructions in casting & rigging for beginners. Other dates May 6, 12, 13, 26, 27, June 2, 3, 16, 17, 23 & 24. Limited class size. Reservations requested. Call Alex Beane (225) 757-7286. Website: http://www.orvis.com/ff101.
- BPS SET YOUR SIGHTS-DAY 2: 1 p.m., Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Guns, accessories, reloading basics for modern rifles & conceal & carry weapons course. Second in three-day series. Website: http://www.basspro.com.
- TOYOTA TUNDRA BASSMASTER WEEKEND SERIES/TEXAS EAST DIVISION: Richland Chambers Lake, Oak Cove Marina, Texas. Fee $200/boater, $100/co-angler. 20 percent of field in payout. Third in five-event series. Top 40 boaters/co-anglers qualify for Oct. 12-13 regional, Wright-Patman Lake. Series championship Nov. 7-10, Lake Sam Rayburn, Jasper, Texas. Call (888) 203-6222. Website: www.weekendseries.com.
- DOIRON’S TEAM BASS TOURNAMENT: Doiron’s Landing, Stephensville. Pick-your-partner. Third in five-tournament series. Call Kim Landry (985) 384-3351.
- IHMSA HANDGUN METALLIC SILHOUETTE MATCH: Ascension Parish Sheriffs Training Range, St. Landry Road, Gonzales. Smallbore (.22) and Field Pistol matches. Fee $8. Sponsored by Ascension Silhouette. Call Charlie Braud (225) 647-8288 or Philip Braud (225) 675-6451.
- BPS SET YOUR SIGHTS-DAY 3: 1 p.m., Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Guns, accessories, reloading basics for modern rifles & conceal & carry weapons course. Last in three-day series. Website: http://www.basspro.com.
- WEDNESDAY EVENING BASS TOURNAMENT: 5 p.m., Canal Bank Club, Diversion Canal, Maurepas. Pick-your-partner. 3-bass limit. Fee $40/boat. Weekly. Call Canal Bank Club (225) 698-9074.
AROUND THE CORNER
- MAY 10 &MDASH; CCA RIVER PARISHES BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Jerusalem Shrine Center, 1940 Ormond Blvd., Destrehan. Dinner, auctions. Tickets $60, $30 spouses, $25 youths, $480 tables. Call CCA (225) 952-9200.
- MAY 11-12 &MDASH; 6TH ANNUAL ITALIAN AMERICAN FISHING RODEO: Breton Sound Marina, Hopedale. Fee $35 (anglers 14 & younger free). Redfish, Speckled Trout, White Trout, Flounder, Sheepshead & Drum divisions. First-place only in bass, redfish under 27-inches long & biggest fish/any fish divisions. Captain’s Party May 11. Benefits Children’s Hospital. Call Robbie Rabb (504) 957-4403 or Allen Catoire (504) 388-5625.
- MAY 12 &MDASH; STEP OUTSIDE DAY: 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Sherburne Wildlife Management Area, La. 975 (south off U.S. 190 near Krotz Springs). No fee. Fishing, archery, boating, target/trap shooting, nature photography, bird watching, ATV Safety, turkey/duck calling, demonstrations, techniques & displays. Food, drink provided. Call Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries’ Opelousas office (337) 948-0255.
- MAY 12 &MDASH; PRECISION RIFLE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. 600-yard match. Website: PaloAltoGunClub.com.
- MAY 12 &MDASH; FLY TYING CLASS: 9 a.m.-noon, Ascension Parish Library, 708 S. Irma Blvd. Gonzales. No fee. Basics of tying fresh and saltwater flies (Bendbacks, poppin ‘ bugs, crickets, spoon flies, sardines). Call Darrell Crawford (225) 644-7989.
- MAY 12—3RD ANNUAL BASS ON THE FLY TOURNAMENT: Lake Fork Marina, Lake Fork, Texas. Fee $55, $5 big-bass pot, $5 big-bluegill pot. Catch-and-release. Categories: Boat, Kayak, and Bank Fishing. Call Ted Warren (903) 850-7084. Website: www.bassonthefly.org.
- MAY 13--Mother’s Day
- MAY 14 &MDASH; RED STICK FLY FISHERS PROGRAM: 7 p.m., Louisiana Room, state Wildlife and Fisheries headquarters, Quail Drive, Baton Rouge. Call Dan Weber, (225) 892-4352. Website: www.rsff.org.
- TURKEY/REGULAR SEASON: Closed.
- LICENSED PRESERVES/PEN-RAISED BIRDS: Through Monday (April 30).
- SPRING SQUIRREL SEASON: May 5-27, private lands only. Reduced season on some wildlife management areas. Closed on most federal lands and refuges.
Email items to Outdoors@theadvocate.com.