Livonia loses a heartbreaker in double OT

Livonia’s perfect season ends with a double-overtime loss to Union Parish in the Class 3A title game

The Livonia football team had its magical season end in heartbreaking fashion Friday night with a double-overtime defeat.

After Union Parish’s Monquiarious Caldwell intercepted Kerry Savoy on the first play of the second overtime, Desmond Turner scored two plays later from 9 yards to give the Farmers the Class 3A nonselect title with a 33-27 win in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.

“We never really grabbed the momentum,” Livonia coach David Brewerton said. “I know (the players) are hurting. God, I know they’re hurting.”

The Farmers (14-1) scored first in overtime when Isaiah Robinson took it in from 1 yard out on third down. Chase Spatafora’s extra point gave them a 27-20 advantage.

Livonia’s Russell Farris then had a third-down touchdown run of his own, and Henry Frech’s extra point sent the game to a second overtime.

Named the Most Outstanding Player for the Wildcats, Farris finished with 126 yards on 32 carries with a pair of touchdowns. He also had one catch for 11 yards.

After giving up the go-ahead touchdown on the opening possession of the second half, it only took the Farmers four plays to take the lead back. Jamarius Williams had rushes for 11, 3, and 65 yards to put Union Parish back on top at 20-13.

Williams was named Most Outstanding Player for the Farmers after finishing with a game-high 157 yards and a pair of touchdowns on only 12 carries. Attempting only three passes the entire game and not completing any, the Farmers rushed for 256 yards — an impressive 7.1 per carry — while scoring all five touchdowns on the ground.

After holding Union Parish on fourth down late in the fourth quarter, the Wildcats tied the score at 20 with a seven-play, 81-yard drive capped by a 15-yard touchdown run by Farris.

The top seed, Livonia (14-1), broke out to an early 7-0 lead when Savoy scored on a 1-yard run, capping an impressive 12-play, 52-yard drive that ate up nearly five minutes of game clock.

A 51-yard touchdown run by Williams gave Union Parish its first points of the game, and the Farmers later took a 12-7 lead on Shamar Turner’s 28-yard touchdown run. The quick four-play scoring drive was set up by a sack by Quondarius Qualls for the Farmers defense in which the junior defensive end also forced and recovered a fumble by Savoy.

The Union Parish defense also held Livonia scoreless on its last possession of the first half by blocking a 23-yard field goal. The late-first-half drive proved to be one of the biggest differences in the game: The Wildcats had the ball for nearly seven minutes and 15 plays but came up scoreless.

Livonia outgained Union Parish 340-256 in total yards and recovered two fumbles, including one on the first play from scrimmage, and also held Union Parish on that critical fourth down in the fourth quarter.

The win is the first state championship for the renamed school: Then known as Farmerville, the school captured the Class 2A state championship in 2002. Livonia was looking for its first state championship since its 1965 8-man title.

Attendance for session two of the three-day state championships was 15,571.