- COASTAL WETLANDS PLANNING, PROTECTION & RESTORATION ACT PLANNING TEAM MEETINGS: 8 a.m., Region I & 11:30 a.m., Region II, Thursday, Corps of Engineers District Assembly Room, 7400 Leake Ave., New Orleans. Call Brad Inman (504) 862-2124.
- BASSMASTER SOUTHERN OPEN: Lake Toho, Kissimmee, Fla. First in three-tournament series Website: http://www.bassmaster.com.
- 3RD ANNUAL FISHING FOR TUCKER TOWNSEND TEAM BASS TOURNAMENT: 6:30 a.m., check-out at Bayside Tackle, Pierre Part; Belle River Public Landing, Belle River; Doiron’s Landing/East-West, Stephensville. 3:30 p.m. check-in & weigh-in, Cabela’s, Gonzales. Pick-your-partner bass tournament. Also Kids’ Tournament, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Cabela’s, Gonzales. Fee $10. Benefits Tucker Townsend, 6-year-old with mitochondrial disorder. Call Ryan Lavigne (225) 921-9332. Website: http://www.fishingfortucker.com
- MID RANGE RIFLE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. 600-yard prone match includes F-Class (any rifle, any sight, any support), FTR. 223&.308 with a bipod & conventional prone (any caliber). Monthly event. Website: http://PaloAltoGunClub.com.
- TOYOTA TUNDRA BASSMASTER WEEKEND SERIES/LOUISIANA DIVISION: Bob’s Bayou Black Marina, Gibson. Fee $200/boater, $100/co-angler. 20 percent of field in payout. First in five-event series. Call (888) 203-6222. Website: www.weekendseries.com.
- 22ND ANNUAL ED RIZZOLO FLY TYING FESTIVAL: 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Bethany Christian Church, 3223 Westheimer, Houston. Seminars, vendors & 80 featured tiers.
Special guest: Dave Hughes. Fee: $10 adults, $5 seniors/students, $15 family. Call Frank Schlict at (281) 392-5296. Website: http://www.texasflyfishers.org.
THURSDAY, FEB. 7
- LOUISIANA WILDLIFE & FISHERIES COMMISSION MEETING: 9:30 a.m., location TBA, Baton Rouge. LWFC meeting usually held first Thursday monthly. Other meeting dates: March 7, April 4 & May 2.
- FEB. 8 — DONALDSONVILLE CHAPTER/DUCKS UNLIMITED BANQUET: 6 p.m., Lemann Center, Donaldsonville. Seafood Extravaganza. Call Todd Boudreaux (225) 278-5584.
AROUND THE CORNER
- FEB. 9 — FLY-TYING CLASS: 9 a.m.-noon, Ascension Parish Library, 708 S. Irma Blvd. Gonzales. No fee. Basics of tying fresh and saltwater flies for bream, sac-a-lait, bass, redfish & speckled trout. Call Darrell Crawford (225) 644-7989.
- FEB. 10 — DOIRON’S TEAM BASS TOURNAMENT: Doiron’s Landing, Stephensville. Pick-your-partner. First in five-tournament series. Call Larry Doiron (985) 397-3113.
- DEER/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS: Thursday (Jan. 31), final day, State Deer Areas 1 & 6, still-hunt only, either-sex season.
- DEER/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS/ATCHAFALAYA BASIN: Thursday (Jan. 31), final day, bucks only, still-hunt only.
- DEER/ARCHERY: Thursday (Jan. 31), final day, State Deer areas 1, 2, 4, 5 & 7. Deer Area 6 & Special Atchafalaya Basin/I-10 south through Feb. 15. Either-sex deer allowed to be taken except where noted. Closed in State Deer Areas 3 & 8.
- WOODCOCK: Thursday (Jan. 31), final day, statewide.
- CANADA GEESE/COASTAL ZONE: Thursday (Jan. 31), final day, second split.
- GEESE/COASTAL & WEST ZONES: Through Sunday (Feb. 3), second split. Open to take speckledbelly, blue, snow & Ross’ geese.
- CONSERVATION ORDER GEESE/WEST & COASTAL ZONES: Monday (Feb. 4), opening day through March 9. Take restricted to blue, snow and Ross’ geese only. No daily nor possession limits. Hunters allowed to use electronic calls & unplugged shotguns. Special hours one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.
- SQUIRRELS/RABBITS/QUAIL: Statewide through Feb. 28.
- SNIPE/EAST, WEST & COASTAL WATERFOWL ZONES: Second split through Feb. 28.
- CONSERVATION ORDER GEESE/EAST ZONE: Through March 9. Take restricted to blue, snow and Ross’ geese only. No daily nor possession limits. Hunters allowed to use electronic calls & unplugged shotguns. Special hours one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.
- ELMER’S ISLAND AREA: oil clean-up.
Have an outdoors item or event? Email: email@example.com