STARKVILLE, Miss. — The No. 25 LSU men’s tennis team defeated No. 23 Indiana 4-3 in the consolation match of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend on Sunday at A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre.
The LSU duo of Roger Anderson and Tam Trinh defeated Daniel Bednarczyk and Sam Monette 8-4 on court two. On court three, the Hoosiers’ Chris Essick and Dimitrije Tasic defeated Boris Arias and Joe Hill 8-3 to even the doubles matches.
On court one, the No. 33 pair of Chris Simpson and Stefan Szacinski won the doubles point for LSU when they defeated Isade Juneau and Josh MacTaggart 8-3.
Indiana tied the match at 1 when Juneau defeated Simpson on court two 6-1, 6-4. LSU regained the lead on court five when Mark Bowtell defeated Bednarczyk 6-2, 6-3. Indiana tied at 2-2 when Monette defeated Szacinski on court three 6-1, 6-4.
After losing the first set on court one 4-6, Indiana’s MacTaggart won the final two sets against Borsos 6-2, 6-3 to give the Hoosiers their first lead of the afternoon.
The final two matches went to a third set.
On court four, Indiana’s Tasic split the first two sets with LSU’s Trinh 3-6, 6-2. Trinh won the third set on a tiebreak 7-6 (4) to tie the match at 3-3.
The match came down to court six, where Indiana’s Essick was tied after two sets with LSU’s Anderson 5-7, 7-6 (1). Tied at 4-4 in the third set, LSU’s Anderson took control and won the final two points to win the match and secure the victory for the Tigers.
No. 25 LSU 4, No. 23 Indiana 3
Sunday at A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre
1. Josh MacTaggart (IU) def. Olivier Borsos (LSU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3; 2. Isade Juneau (IU) def. Chris Simpson (LSU) 6-1, 6-4; 3. Sam Monette (IU) def. Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 6-1, 6-4; 4. Tam Trinh (LSU) def. Dimitrije Tasic (IU) 6-3, 2-6, 7-6(4); 5. Mark Bowtell (LSU) def. Daniel Bednarczyk (IU) 6-2, 6-3; 6. Roger Anderson (LSU) def. Chris Essick (IU) 7-5, 6(1)-7, 6-4
1. #33 Chris Simpson/Stefan Szacinski (LSU) def. Isade Juneau/Josh MacTaggart (IU) 8-3; 2. Roger Anderson/Tam Trinh (LSU) def. Daniel Bednarczyk/Sam Monette (IU) 8-4; 3. Chris Essick/Dimitrije Tasic (IU) def. Boris Arias/Joe Hill (LSU) 8-3
WOMEN WIN BOTH MATCHES IN HOME OPENER: The LSU women’s tennis team won both matches of its home-opening doubleheader Saturday, defeating Northwestern State 4-3 and Southern 7-0 at W.T. “Dub” Robinson Stadium.
The first two doubles matches of the day were split between the Demons (0-1) and Lady Tigers, after LSU’s Ebie Wilson and Keri Frankenberger took a quick 8-1 win over Amy Williams and Vanja Bogetic and the duo of Kaitlin Burns and Caroline Hudson fell to Northwestern State’s Tatiana Larina and Andrea Nedorostova 8-4.
Northwestern State’s Natalya Krutova and Polina Konop defeated Ariel Morton and Mary Jeremiah 8-7 (7-4) to secure the doubles point.
Wilson got LSU on the board with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Vanja Bogetic. Freshmen Hudson and Ella Taylor followed with wins. Burns clinched the match for the Tigers with a 7-5, 6-4 win over Tatiana Larina.
In the nightcap, LSU swept Southern (0-1).
The doubles point was decided after Wilson/Frankenberger tallied an 8-3 victory over Kendall Bunch and Danielle Dixon, and Jeremiah and Morton followed by defeating Morgan Taylor and Camara Davis 8-4.
Wilson got a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Camara Davis, while Taylor notched a shutout against Lois Alexis.
Burns defeated Demetria Woods 6-4, 6-0.
No. 45 LSU 4, Northwestern State 3
1. #112 Kaitlin Burns (LSU) def. Tatiana Larina (NWST) 7-5, 6-4; 2. Polina Konop (NWST) def. Mary Jeremiah (LSU) 5-7, 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
3. Natalya Krutova (NWST) def. Ariel Morton (LSU) 6-3, 7-5; 4. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Andrea Nedorostova (NWST) 6-2, 6-4; 5. Caroline Hudson (LSU) def. Amy Williams (NWST) 6-4, 6-0; 6. Ebie Wilson (LSU) def. Vanja Bogetic (NWST) 6-0, 6-0
1. Tatiana Larina/Andrea Nedorostova (NWST) def. Kaitlin Burns/Caroline Hudson (LSU) 8-4; 2. Natalya Krutova/Polina Konop (NWST) def. Ariel Morton/Mary Jeremiah (LSU) 8-7 (7-4); 3. Ebie Wilson/Keri Frankenberger (LSU) def. Amy Williams/Vanja Bogetic (NWST) 8-1
No. 45 LSU 7, Southern 0
1. #112 Kaitlin Burns (LSU) def. Demetria Woods (SU) 6-4, 6-0; 2. Mary Jeremiah (LSU) def. Gabrielle Moore (SU) 6-0, 6-4; 3. Ariel Morton (LSU) def. Danielle Dixon (SU) 6-2, 6-2; 4. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Lois Alexis (SU) 6-0, 6-0; 5. Caroline Hudson (LSU) def. Morgan Taylor (SU) 6-4, 6-0; 6. Ebie Wilson (LSU) def. Camara Davis (SU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Kaitlin Burns/Caroline Hudson (LSU) vs. Gabrielle Moore/Lois Alexis (SU) no result;
2. Mary Jeremiah/Ariel Morton (LSU) def. Morgan Taylor/Camara Davis (SU) 8-4; 3. Ebie Wilson/Keri Frankenberger (LSU) def. Kendall Bunch/Danielle Dixon (SU) 8-3