Giants don’t offer Brian Wilson Giants don’t offer Brian Wilson Associated Press photo by Mike CarlsonTampa Bay Rays' Elliot Johnson (9) slides into New York Yankees catcher Russell Martin, knocking the ball free to score on a single by B.J. Upton this season. The Associated Press Dec. 11, 2012 Comments SAN FRANCISCO — The San Francisco Giants declined to tender a one-year contract to bearded closer Brian Wilson on Friday, making him a free agent as he recovers from a second ligament replacement surgery on his right elbow. Wilson was the 2010 major league saves leader with 48, but made only two appearances for the World Series champion Giants in 2012 after experiencing further elbow trouble in April. Wilson underwent reconstructive Tommy John surgery April 19, his second such procedure on his pitching elbow after also having it done while in college at LSU in 2003. Dr. James Andrews performed both operations. Wilson missed the team’s run to its second championship in three years. The 30-year-old Wilson, who earned $8.5 million in his injury-shortened 2012 season, would be due to make at least $6.8 million next year under the rule limiting cuts to a maximum of 20 percent. Reynolds is free agent BALTIMORE — The Baltimore Orioles have declined to offer a 2013 contract to slugger Mark Reynolds, a decision that allows the infielder to become a free agent. Baltimore also declined to tender second baseman Omar Quintanilla and right-hander Stu Pomeranz. The moves were announced Friday night. Reynolds hit .221 with 23 homers and 69 RBIs last season. His home run output was down from 37 in 2011 and his fewest since his rookie year in 2007. Reynolds struggled at third base early last season and was moved to first, where he played exceptionally well. Last month, the Orioles declined Reynolds’ $11 million option for 2013, opting for the $500,000 buyout. Friday’s move enabled Baltimore to avoid going to arbitration with Reynolds. Chris Davis moves atop the depth chart at first base. Martin signs with Pirates PITTSBURGH — Russell Martin is going from a franchise that has won a record 27 World Series titles to a franchise that has endured a record 20 consecutive losing seasons. Yet Martin, a catcher, said Friday he is excited about joining the Pittsburgh Pirates after finalizing a $17 million, two-year contract as a free agent. Martin spent the last two seasons with the New York Yankees. “It’s going to be different,” Martin said. “It’s going to be a challenge but I think the Pirates have a young and electric club. There is a lot of talent there and I don’t think we’re as far away as winning as maybe people outside baseball think we are.” The Pirates are hoping Martin can help get them at least over .500. Their string of losing seasons continued this year when they went from 16 games over .500 at 64-48 on Aug. 8 to a 79-83 finish by losing 35 of their last 50 games. “There is a lot to like about Russell,” Pirates general manager Neal Huntington said. “He handles a pitching staff well, he calls a good game, he throws well, he is capable of hitting the ball out of the ballpark. “We’re very excited to be able to add him to our club.” Martin, 29, hit a career-low .211 last season for the Yankees but also finished with a career-best 21 home runs. Rod Barajas, the Pirates’ primary catcher in 2012, batted .206 with 11 homers. “It wasn’t a very good year,” Martin said, “and I know I’m capable of doing better.” Source: Wright strikes deal NEW YORK — The face of the New York Mets plans to stick around for quite a while. All-Star third baseman David Wright and the Mets agreed Friday to a $138 million, eight-year contract, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press. The deal, the richest in franchise history, replaces Wright’s $16 million salary for next season and includes $122 million in new money, the person said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the agreement was not yet final. A homegrown fan favorite, Wright is the club’s career leader in several major offensive categories including hits, RBIs, runs and walks. Wright batted .306 with 21 homers and 93 RBIs last season. Braves trade Hanson ATLANTA — The Braves have traded Tommy Hanson to the Los Angeles Angels for former closer Jordan Walden. The 26-year-old Hanson set a career high with 13 wins this year but his 4.48 ERA also was a career worst. The right-hander was 45-32 in four seasons with the Braves. Walden had 32 saves in 2011, then lost his closer’s role to Ernesto Frieri and was 3-2 with a 3.46 ERA and one save this year. He became superfluous when the Angels agreed this week to a $3.5 million, one-year contract with Ryan Madson. Walden gives Atlanta another power arm for its bullpen. His fastball has been clocked at close to 100 mph, and he had 48 strikeouts in 39 innings. O’s get Navarro from Bucs BALTIMORE — The Baltimore Orioles have acquired infielder Yamaico Navarro from the Pittsburgh Pirates for minor league pitcher Jhondaniel Medina. The 25-year-old Navarro hit .160 with one homer and four RBIs in 29 games with Pittsburgh last season. He is a career .279 hitter over seven minor league seasons. Medina is a 19-year-old right-hander who pitched primarily in the Gulf Coast League in 2011. To make room for Navarro on the 40-man roster, Baltimore designated right-hander Stu Pomeranz for assignment. Pomeranz had a 3.00 ERA in three games with Baltimore last season. Also Friday, the Orioles agreed to 2013 contracts with infielder Alexi Casilla, outfielder Steve Pearce and catcher Taylor Teagarden, avoiding arbitration. A’s get Resop from Pirates OAKLAND, Calif. — The Oakland Athletics have acquired right-hander Chris Resop from the Pittsburgh Pirates for minor league right-hander Zach Thornton. The A’s also announced Friday that they will not offer a contract to outfielder Jermaine Mitchell. A move to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for Resop will be announced later. Resop was 1-4 with one save and a 3.91 ERA in 61 relief appearances with Pittsburgh last year. Mets decline offers to trio NEW YORK — The Mets declined to offer contracts to outfielder Andres Torres, right-hander Mike Pelfrey and reliever Manny Acosta on Friday. The three players will become free agents on Saturday. The switch-hitting Torres batted.230 with three homers and 35 RBIs. Pelfrey, who has spent parts of seven seasons with New York, made only three starts this year before having season-ending Tommy John surgery on his pitching elbow. He has a career ERA of 4.36 with slightly more than 500 strikeouts in about 900 innings. D’backs release Bergesen PHOENIX — The Arizona Diamondbacks have released right-handed reliever Brad Bergesen. The move came just ahead of Friday’s deadline for teams to offer contracts to players on their 40-man rosters who are not signed for the coming season. Bergesen spent most of last season in the minors. He was claimed off waivers by Arizona from Baltimore. and was 2-1 with the Diamondbacks with a 3.64 ERA in 19 appearances.