- LOUISIANA WILDLIFE & FISHERIES COMMISSION MEETING: 9:30 a.m., Waddill Wildlife Education Center, 4142 North Flannery, Baton Rouge.
- ASCENSION PARISH CHAPTER DELTA WATERFOWL BANQUET: 6 p.m., Civic Center, 219 South Irma Ave., Gonzales. Tickets $40, $60 couples, $25 youth, $600 corporate tables (includes membership). Dinner, live/silent auctions. Call Rickey Johnson (225) 937-3875. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BASSMASTER SOUTHERN OPEN: Smith Lake, Jasper, Ala. Last in three-tournament series to qualify winners for 2013 Bassmaster Classic. Website: http://www.bassmaster.com.
- FEDERATION OF FLY FISHERS SOUTHERN CONCLAVE & SHOW: 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. daily, Baxter County Fairgrounds, Mountain Home, Ark. Fee $10/day, $5/under 18. Programs, fly tying, casting clinics, youth and women’s activities, FFF casting certification. Call Chris Jackson (870) 499-3056. Website: http://www.southern
- TOUR DU TECHE: Bayou Teche. 135-mile staged race along the banks of Bayou Teche. Call Nicole Patin (337) 394-6232. Email: email@example.com.
- 4TH ANNUAL ST. MICHAEL’S OPEN TEAM BASS TOURNAMENT: 6:30 a.m., 3 p.m. weigh-in, St. Michael’s Catholic Church, La. 44, Convent. Pick-your-partner event. Fee $180 adult/adult, $120 adult/child, $20 optional big-bass pot ante. Check in 4:30 a.m. Wal-Mart, U.S. 90, Luling; Gator Corner, La. 70; Huddle House Truck Stop, I-10 at U.S. 51, LaPlace. In conjunction with St. Michael’s Festival. Call Jeff Bourgeois (225) 715-1198 or Tommy Bourgeois (225) 206-1676.
- IHMSA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP HANDGUN METALLIC SILHOUETTE MATCH: Ascension Parish Sheriffs Training Range, St. Landry Road, Gonzales. Smallbore (.22) and Field Pistol matches. Fee $8. Sponsored by Ascension Silhouette. Call Charlie Braud (225) 647-8288 or Philip Braud (225) 675-6451.
- AROUND THE CORNER
- OCT. 8 &MDASH; RED STICK FLY FISHERS PROGRAM: 7 p.m., Orvis Shop, Bluebonnet Boulevard, Baton Rouge. Regular monthly program. Call Dan Weber (225) 767-2405. Website: http://www.rsff.org.
- OCT. 11 &MDASH; A WILD NIGHT: 6:30 p.m., Live Oak Arabians, Jefferson Highway. 2012 Louisiana Wildlife & Fisheries Foundation fundraiser (Youth Hunter Education Challenge, La. Saltwater Series, Whooping Crane Restoration, etc.) Dinner, live/silent auctions. Call LWFF (225) 765-5100.
- OCT. 12-13 &MDASH; TOYOTA TUNDRA BASSMASTER WEEKEND SERIES/TEXAS EAST DIVISION REGIONAL: Wright-Patman Lake, Texas. Top anglers qualify for Nov. 7-10 series championship, Lake Sam Rayburn, Texas. Last in five-event series. Call (888) 203-6222. Website: http://www.weekendseries.com.
- OCT. 13 &MDASH; FLY TYING CLASS: 9 a.m.-noon, Ascension Parish Library, 708 S. Irma Blvd. Gonzales. No fee. Basics of tying fresh and saltwater flies (Bendbacks, poppin ‘ bugs, crickets, spoon flies, sardines). Call Darrell Crawford (225) 644-7989.
- OCT. 20-21 &MDASH; LOUISIANA STATE HIGH-POWER RIFLE CHAMPIONSHIP: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. Open to NRA-affiliated state association members. Fee $25/adult, $15/junior. CMP EIC “Leg” Match. Entry deadline Oct. 13. Field limited to 60 shooters. Call Jay D. Hunt (985) 768-8469. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: http://www.PaloAltoGunClub.com.
- OCT. 12-14 &MDASH; 23RD ANNUAL WOODEN BOAT FESTIVAL: Maritime Museum, Tchefuncte River, Madisonville. Oct. 12, 7:30-10:30 p.m., Maritime Mania/patron party ($75 singles, $125 couples). Oct. 13-14, Festival, Fee $10 adults, $5 seniors, no fee children 11 and younger. Includes Children’s Village & Quick ‘n Dirty Boat Building Contest. Call Lake Pontchartrain Basin Maritime Museum (985) 845-9200. Website: http://www.woodenboatfest.org.
- OCT. 25 &MDASH; S.T.A.R. AWARDS BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Live Oak Arabians, 6300 Jefferson Hwy., Baton Rouge. Prizes for winners in CCA-Louisiana summer-long fishing rodeo. Tickets $50 (11-and-under no fee), $500 tables. Dinner, awards, auction. Call Rad Trascher (225) 952-9200.
- OCT. 27 &MDASH; SAC-A-LAIT/BREAM FISHING WITH THE JIGGIN’ POLE CLASS: 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m., A.P. Tureaud Hall, LSU, Baton Rouge. J.B. Salter-taught Leisure Studies class, LSU, Baton Rouge. Fee $42/LSU Union/student members, $53/public. Hands-on and classroom instruction; artificial and live baits; patterns; and area fishing hot spots. Call LSU Leisure Studies (225) 578-5119.
- OCT. 17 &MDASH; SECOND ANNUAL SOUTH LOUISIANA BRANCH/QDMA GUN BASH: 4-H Mini Farm, AgCenter Drive, LSU, Baton Rouge. Dinner, gun raffles, deer stands, feeders, etc. Tickets $100, $800 tables. Originally Aug. 29. Call William Shockey (225) 291-7500.
- OCT. 27 &MDASH; SLU FISHING CLUB FALL FUNDRAISER TOURNAMENT: Postponed due to conflict with Southeastern Louisiana University homecoming. Date TBA. Call Andrew Cavell (225) 247-2549.
OPENED & CLOSED
- CLOSED: Elmer’s Island area.
- EXTENDED: East Zone Wild Alligator Harvest season through Oct. 4.
- OPEN: State Fall Inshore Shrimp season (all inshore waters), but closed in Elmer’s Island-Fourchon area; recreational amberjack season.
- CLOSED-GULF OF MEXICO SEASONS: Recreational red snapper and gray triggerfish, state and federal waters and commercial king mackerel and gray triggerfish.
- DEER/ARCHERY: State Deer Areas 3 & 8 through Jan. 15; State Deer areas 1, 2, 4, 5 & 7 through Jan. 31. Deer Area 6 & Special Atchafalaya Basin/I-10 south (Oct. 1-15, bucks only) through Feb. 15. Either-sex deer allowed to be taken except where noted. Special license required: $10.50 for residents (ages 16-59); $26 for nonresidents (16 and older).
- SQUIRRELS/RABBITS: Saturday, opening day, statewide through Feb. 28. Daily limit 8 for each species.
- DOVES: Saturday, opening day, second split, North Zone, through Nov. 4. Second split, South Zone, Oct. 13-Nov. 25. Daily limit is 15. Possession limit is 30. Hours are one-half hour before sunrise to sunset.
- DEER/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS: Oct. 13-19, State Deer Areas 3, 7 & 8 through Jan. 15. Either-sex deer allowed to be taken. Special license required: $10.50 for residents, $26 for nonresidents.
Have an outdoors item or event? Email: email@example.com