- IHMSA HANDGUN METALLIC SILHOUETTE MATCH: Ascension Parish Sheriffs Training Range, St. Landry Road, Gonzales. Smallbore (.22) and Field Pistol matches. Fee $8. Sponsored by Ascension Silhouette. Call Charlie Braud (225) 647-8288 or Philip Braud (225) 675-6451.
- BASSMASTER ELITE SERIES: Final day, “Mystery Lake” tournament, Green Bay, Wisc. Seventh in eight-tournament series to determine 2013 Bassmaster Classic qualifiers. Website: http://www.bassmaster.com/.
- LOUISIANA WILDLIFE & FISHERIES COMMISSION MEETING: 9:30 a.m., Wildlife & Fisheries headquarters, Baton Rouge. Top agenda items: Proposed 2012-2013 migratory bird seasons, 2013 spring turkey seasons, state offshore recreational fishing landing permits for reef fish, rules for charterboat operations, Internet options for commercial licenses, three proposals for state funds waterfowl breeding grounds donation, Calcasieu Lake oyster harvesting permits.
- Fourth of July
- WEDNESDAY EVENING BASS TOURNAMENT: 5 p.m., Canal Bank Club, Diversion Canal, Maurepas. Pick-your-partner. Three-bass limit. Fee $40/boat. Weekly. Call Canal Bank Club (225) 698-9074.
- EMPIRE-SOUTH PASS TARPON RODEO: Delta Marina weighstation, Empire. Tickets $40/angler. Nightly entertainment, food. Benefits Buras YMCA. Call Delta Marina (504) 657-5116. Email: email@example.com.
- FRIDAY NIGHT COOKIE JAR BASS SERIES: 7 p.m.-midnight, False River, Public Landing, Morrison Parkway, New Roads. Weekly through Sept. 14. Weekly fee $30 per boat/1-2 anglers. 14-inch minimum size for bass. Call Guy Perkins (225) 293-3402.
- MID-RANGE RIFLE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. 600-Yard Prone Match includes F-Class (any rifle, any sight, any support), Ftr.223 &.308 with bipod & conventional prone (any caliber). Website: http://www.paloaltogunclub.com.
- STATEWIDE TOURNAMENT & ANGLERS’ RODEO: Summer-long saltwater fishing event through Labor Day, Sept. 3. Truck/boats for tagged redfish. Prizes in species categories. Sponsored by CCA-Louisiana, CCA membership/$25 entry fee required (no fee for youth division). Call CCA-Louisiana (225) 952-9200.
AROUND THE CORNER
- JULY 9 &MDASH; RED STICK FLY FISHERS PROGRAM: 7 p.m., Louisiana Room, State Wildlife & Fisheries headquarters, Quail Drive, Baton Rouge. Call Dan Weber (225) 892-4352. Website: http://www.rsff.org.
- JULY 10 &MDASH; AMERICA’S BOATING COURSE: 6:30-8:30 p.m., LSU Leisure Class, Baton Rouge. 2-hour, four-session course meets June 10, 17, 24, 31. Baton Rouge Sail & Power Squadron course qualifies for state Safe Boating Education/Certificate course. Call LSU Union (225) 578-5119. Website: http://www.lsu.edu/leisureclasses.
- JULY 14 &MDASH; FLY TYING CLASS: 9 a.m.-noon, Ascension Parish Library, 708 S. Irma Blvd., Gonzales. No fee. Basics of fresh and saltwater flies (bendbacks, poppin ‘ bugs, crickets, spoon flies, sardines). Call Darrell Crawford (225) 644-7989.
- JULY 14 &MDASH; PRECISION RIFLE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. 600-yard match. Website: http://PaloAlto
- JULY 14-15 &MDASH; TOYOTA TUNDRA BASSMASTER WEEKEND SERIES/TEXAS EAST DIVISION: Lake Tawakoni, Holiday Marina, Wills Point, Texas. Last of five events. Series’ top 40 boaters/co-anglers qualify for Oct. 12-13 regional, Wright-Patman Lake. Series Championship Nov. 7-10, Lake Sam Rayburn, Jasper, Texas. Call (888) 203-6222. Website: http://www.weekendseries.com.
- JULY 26-38—INTERNATIONAL GRAND ISLE TARPON RODEO: Sand Dollar Marina weighstation & Rodeo Tent, Grand Isle.
- JULY 27-28—HUMMINGBIRD CELEBRATION: 6 p.m., July 27, Rosedown Plantation, St. Francisville; 7 a.m., July 28, 2 private gardens, West Feliciana Parish. Speakers, hummingbird banding. Call West Feliciana Tourist Commission (225) 635-4224. Website: http://www.stfrancisville.us.
- JULY 14 &MDASH; CCA LOUISIANA SPECKS & SPOTS FISHING TOURNAMENT: 6 a.m., Quintana Landing, Cypremort Point. 1-3 p.m. weigh-in. Speckled Trout (two heaviest fish) & Redfish divisions (two heaviest fish “slot” redfish) and Youth Division. Fee $150/boat (must be current CCA members). Captain’s meeting 6:30 p.m. July 13, Quintana Landing. Cal CCA (225) 952-9200.
- JULY 19-21 &MDASH; DUCKS UNLIMITED LOUISIANA STATE CONVENTION: Hilton Riverside Hotel, New Orleans. Registration $125 singles, $175 couples, $25 17-and-younger. Website: http://www.ducks.org/louisiana/events.
- JULY 21 &MDASH; LOUISIANA WOODCOCK CHAPTER MEMORIAL CLAY SHOOT: 8:30 a.m. registration, Hunter’s Run Gun Club, Port Allen. 4-shooter teams. Fee $520/team, $135/shooter includes lunch, T-shirt. Memorial for Dr. Armand McHenry. LWC is member of the Ruffed Grouse Society. Call Ed Baker (225) 279-0840,
- AUG. 4 &MDASH; 4TH ANNUAL MEMORIAL FISHING FOR FRANKIE BASS TOURNAMENT: 4:30 a.m. check-in/registration, noon weigh-in, Pier 90, U.S. 90, Avondale. Pick-your-partner benefit for Michael Diez Jr. Fee $100/team, $10 optional big-bass pot. Five-bass limit. Call Audrey Raziano (985) 703-0135/(985) 785-8411.
- AUG. 11 &MDASH; 19TH ANNUAL PELICAN STATE FRIENDS OF NRA BANQUET: Crowne Plaza Hotel, Baton Rouge. Benefits Capital City area youth shooting sports and education. Sponsors and donations welcomed. Call Rob Walker (225) 938-1234.
- AUG. 18 &MDASH; 11TH ANNUAL BATON ROUGE CHAPTER, ROCKY MOUNTAIN ELK FOUNDATION BIG GAME BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Marriott Hotel, 5500 Hilton Ave., Baton Rouge. Dinner, live/silent auctions and Wall of Guns. Call Russ Bamgardner (225) 977-5198 or Oren May (225) 924-5303.