- FALSE RIVER BASS TRAIL TOURNAMENT: 2 p.m. weigh-in, Deer Park Landing, Deer Park.
- FLY FISHING 201 COURSE: Orvis Company Store, Perkins Rowe, Baton Rouge. On-the-water instructions in casting and rigging for beginners. Other dates June 9, 10 and July 1. Limited class size. Reservations requested. Call Alex Beane (225) 757-7286. Website: http://www.orvis.com/ff201.
- CCA BATON ROUGE CHAPTER BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Carl Maddox Field House, LSU, Baton Rouge. Dinner, live/silent auctions. Tickets $60, $30 spouses, $25 youths, $600 tables. Call Rad Trascher (225) 952-9200.
- WEDNESDAY EVENING BASS TOURNAMENT: 5 p.m., Canal Bank Club, Diversion Canal, Maurepas. Pick-your-partner. Three-bass limit. Fee $40/boat. Weekly. Call Canal Bank Club (225) 698-9074.
- CCA TANGI CHAPTER BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Twelve Oaks, 500 West Texas Ave., Hammond. Dinner, live/silent auctions. Tickets $60, $30 spouses, $25 youths, $480 tables. Call CCA office (225) 952-9200.
- FRIDAY NIGHT COOKIE JAR BASS SERIES: 7 p.m.-midnight, False River, Public Landing, Morrison Parkway, New Roads. Weekly through Sept. 14. Weekly fee $30 per boat/1-2 anglers. 14-inch minimum size for bass. Call Guy Perkins (225) 293-3402.
- 16TH ANNUAL GRAND ISLE SPECKLED TROUT RODEO: Bridge Side Marina, Grand Isle. Louisiana Master Trout Angler tournament. Open categories: Speckled trout, redfish (open and under-27 inches long), flounder, sheepshead, cobia, mangrove snapper, drum and white trout. Junior categories: Speckled trout, redfish and hardhead catfish. Fee $20. Call Bridge Side (985) 787-2419 or Bob Sevin (985) 787-2968.
- LOUISIANA SALTWATER YOUTH TOURNAMENT SERIES: Myrtle Grove Marina, 161 Marina Rd. Port Sulphur. First in two-event series. Next event: June 9, Elmer’s Island, Grand Isle. Sponsored by Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries. Website: http://www.lasaltwaterseries.com/.
- OPENING DAY/STATEWIDE TOURNAMENT & ANGLERS’ RODEO—S.T.A.R.: Opening day, summer-long saltwater fishing event through Labor Day. Sept. 3. Truck/boats for specially tagged redfish. Prizes in several species categories. Sponsored by CCA-Louisiana. Entry fee and CCA membership required. Call CCA-Louisiana (225) 952-9200.
- FLY TYING AT BASS PRO SHOPS: 9:30 a.m.-noon, Conference Room, Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Call Ron Brooks (225) 271-3100.
- CMP M1 GARAND RIFLE CLINIC: 8:30 a.m. registration, 9 a.m. class. Southwest Gun Club, U.S. Hwy. 98, McComb, Miss. Fee $40, includes ammo/no fee 17 and younger ($10 club membership required). Participants should bring lunch, drinks, ground cloth, ear and eye protection. Successful qualifying (35 rounds) for 18 and older qualifies to purchase M1 Garand from Civilian Marksmanship Program. Call Doug Bowser (601) 341-8797. Email: email@example.com.
- THE CAMP ADVANCED FLY FISHING SCHOOL: 8 a.m.-5 p.m., The Camp Facility, Breaux Bridge. Fee $135 includes lunch, refreshments, handouts. FFF-certified instructors. Call Keith Richard (337) 344-0908. Website: http://www.thecampflyfishingschool.com/.
SUNDAY, MAY 27
- SOUTH LOUISIANA HIGHPOWER CLUB MATCH: 8:30 a.m., Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Range, 9300 St. Landry Rd. Gonzales. Fee $12 members, $15 nonmembers, $5 juniors. $15 annual membership in Civilian Marksmanship Program. Call George Serrett; (225) 272-3538. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CAPITAL CITY BASS ELITE TEAMS TOURNAMENT: Bayou Pigeon Public Landing, Atchafalaya Spillway. $30 membership fee. $100/team tournament fee. 100 percent payback. Seventh in eight-tournament series. Tournament champions and Top 10 overall qualify for Aug. 4-5 “classic.” Call Jesse Brooks (225) 241-4996. Website: http://www.capitalcity
- BLESSING OF THE BOATS: 2 p.m., Morrison Parkway, False River, New Roads. Memorial Day weekend honoring U.S. military. All watercraft blessed for spring-summer boating season. Sponsored by Kiwanis Club of Pointe Coupee.
AROUND THE CORNER
- MAY 28 — MEMORIAL DAY
- MAY 28 &MDASH; RED STICK FLY FISHERS FLY-TYING SESSION: 7 p.m., Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Call Emmitt Simmons (225) 335-4596. Website: http://www.rsff.org/.
- MAY 28 &MDASH; FIN-ADDICT FLY FISHERS MEETING: 6:30 p.m., Spahr’s Restaurant, 1400 W. Tunnel Blvd, Houma. Call Stephen Robert (985) 850-0082. Website: http://finaddictflyfishers.blogspot.com/.
- MAY 30-JUNE 3 &MDASH; DUCKS UNLIMITED’S 75TH NATIONAL CONVENTION: Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center, Nashville. Website: http://www.ducks.org/.
- MAY 31 &MDASH; CCA POINT COUPEE CHAPTER BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., William H. Scott Memorial Civic Center, New Roads. Tickets $60, $30 spouses, $25 youths, $480 tables. Dinner, live/silent auctions. Call CCA (225) 952-9200.
- JUNE 1-2 &MDASH; NRA BASIC PERSONAL PROTECTION IN THE HOME COURSE: 6-10 p.m. June 1, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. June 2, Southwest Mississippi Gun Club, McComb, Miss. Qualifies for Louisiana Concealed Carry Permit. Fee $65. Preregistration deadline May 21. Call Doug Bowser (601) 341-8797. Email: email@example.com.
- JUNE 2 &MDASH; 27TH ANNUAL LAKE CHARLES CCA TROUT SHOOTOUT: 5:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Calcasieu Point Landing, Lake Charles. Fee $30 (entrants must be Coastal Conservation Association members). Weigh-in begins 7 a.m. Open and youth divisions. Call Raymond Little (337) 288-5685 or Tony Berrigan (225) 952-9200.
- JUNE 2 &MDASH; CENTRAL LA BRANCH QDMA ANNUAL DEER SCORING EVENT & FIELD DAY: 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Cottonport Bank Camp, Marksville. Bring antlers/mounts to be scored by state wildlife biologists. Also seminar on professional hog-control methods (traps, equipment), maximization of land to improve wildlife habitat, effective coyote trapping techniques, state biologists’ advice on programs, management and biology. No fee. Lunch, refreshments included. Call Tammy Lemoine (318) 359-3003 or Darren Boudreaux (225) 573-2035.
- JUNE 6 &MDASH; AMERICA’S BOATING COURSE: 6:30-8:30 p.m., LSU Leisure Class, Baton Rouge. 2-hour, four-session course meets June 6, 13, 20, 27. Baton Rouge Sail & Power Squadron course qualifies for state Safe Boating Education/Certificate course. Next course sessions 6:30-8:30 p.m. July 10-31. Call LSU Union (225) 578-5119. Website: http://www.lsu.edu/leisureclasses.
- JUNE 7-9 &MDASH; SWOLFEST FISHING RODEO: Sand Dollar Marina, Grand Isle.
- SPRING SQUIRREL SEASON: Through May 27, private lands. Reduced season on some wildlife management areas. Closed on most federal lands and refuges.