- LOUISIANA SEAFOOD PROMOTION AND MARKETING BOARD FINANCE COMMITTEE MEETING: 1 p.m., Louisiana Room, Department of Wildlife and Fisheries state headquarters, 2000 Quail Drive, Baton Rouge.
- CCA RIVER PARISHES BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Jerusalem Shrine Center, 1940 Ormond Blvd., Destrehan. Dinner, auctions. Tickets $60, $30 spouses, $25 youths, $480 tables. Call CCA (225) 952-9200.
- OLD-TIMERS BASS TOURNAMENT: 5:30 a.m. registration, safe daylight, noon weigh-in, Paisano’s, La. 70, Belle River. Anglers 55 and older. Fee $50, lunch included. Three-bass limit. Call Wayne Tucker (337) 254-1300.
- FRIDAY NIGHT COOKIE JAR BASS SERIES: 7 p.m.-midnight, False River, Public Landing, Morrison Parkway, New Roads. Weekly through Sept. 14. Weekly fee $30 per boat/1-2 anglers. 14-inch minimum size for bass. Call Guy Perkins (225) 293-3402.
- 6TH ANNUAL ITALIAN AMERICAN FISHING RODEO: Breton Sound Marina, Hopedale. Fee $35 (anglers 14 and younger free). Redfish, speckled trout, white trout, flounder, sheepshead and drum divisions. First-place only in bass, redfish under 27-inches long and biggest fish/any fish divisions. Captain’s Party May 11. Benefits Children’s Hospital. Call Robbie Rabb (504) 957-4403 or Allen Catoire (504) 388-5625.
- STEP OUTSIDE DAY: 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Sherburne Wildlife Management Area, La. 975 (south off U.S. 190 near Krotz Springs). No fee. Fishing, archery, boating, target/trap shooting, nature photography, bird watching, ATV Safety, turkey/duck calling, demonstrations, techniques and displays. Food, drink provided. Call Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries’ Opelousas office (337) 948-0255.
- 3RD ANNUAL ELMER’S ISLAND SPRING BEACH SWEEP: 8 a.m.-noon. Litter clean-up project. Volunteers needed. Sponsored by Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, Barataria-Terrebonne National Estuary Program, Louisiana Wildlife Federation, The Nature Conservancy and Barefoot Wines. Preregistration requested. Call Joe Dantin (985) 449-4715.
- FLY FISHING 101 COURSE: Orvis Company Store, Perkins Rowe, Baton Rouge. Hour-long instructions in casting and rigging for beginners. Other dates May 13, 26, 27, June 2, 3, 16, 17, 23 and 24. Limited class size. Reservations requested. Call Alex Beane (225) 757-7286. Website: http://www.orvis.com/ff101.
- PRECISION RIFLE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. 600-yard match. Website: http://PaloAltoGunClub.com/.
- FLY TYING CLASS: 9 a.m.-noon, Ascension Parish Library, 708 S. Irma Blvd. Gonzales. No fee. Basics of tying fresh and saltwater flies (Bendbacks, poppin ‘ bugs, crickets, spoon flies, sardines). Call Darrell Crawford (225) 644-7989.
- INTERNATIONAL MIGRATORY BIRD DAY CELEBRATION: 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Louisiana State Arboretum at Chicot State Park, La. 3042, Ville Platte. Guided birdwatching tours (9 a.m. and 3 p.m.), presentations, bird games and birding activities. Chicot State Park admission $1 per person to enter Chicot State Park. Once inside Chicot, the Arboretum is free. Call (888) 677-6100.
- EAST JEFFERSON CCA FAMILY FISHING RODEO: 5-7 a.m. registration, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. weigh-in, Sweetwater Marina, Delacroix. Team fishing. Speckled trout and redfish categories, Ladies’s only and seven youth categories. Open to all CCA members and families. Fee $25 adults. Youth 17-under no fee. Call Glen Gourgues (504) 858-9440. Website: http://www.ccalouisiana.com/.
- 3RD ANNUAL BASS ON THE FLY TOURNAMENT: Lake Fork Marina, Lake Fork, Texas. Fee $55, $5 big-bass pot, $5 big-bluegill pot. Catch-and-release. Categories: Boat, kayak and bank fishing. Call Ted Warren (903) 850-7084. Website: http://www.bassonthefly.org.
- Mother’s Day
- RED STICK FLY FISHERS PROGRAM: 7 p.m., Wildlife and Fisheries, Quail Drive, Baton Rouge. Call Dan Weber, (225) 892-4352. Website: http://www.rsff.org/.
- WEDNESDAY EVENING BASS TOURNAMENT: 5 p.m., Canal Bank Club, Diversion Canal, Maurepas. Pick-your-partner. 3-bass limit. Fee $40/boat. Weekly. Call Canal Bank Club (225) 698-9074.
AROUND THE CORNER
- MAY 19 &MDASH; FLY FISHING 201 COURSE: Orvis Company Store, Perkins Rowe, Baton Rouge. On-the-water instructions in casting and rigging for beginners. Other dates May 20, June 9, 10 and July 1. Limited class size. Reservations requested. Call Alex Beane (225) 757-7286. Website: http://www.orvis.com/ff201.
- MAY 19 &MDASH; SPRING CATCH-N-EAT FLY FISHING TRIP: Louisiana marsh fly-fishing trip. Sponsored by Red Stick Fly Fishers, Baton Rouge. Registration required. Call Randy Leonpacher (225) 769-1895. Website: www.rsff.org.
- MAY 19 &MDASH; CAPITAL CITY BASS ELITE TEAMS TOURNAMENT: Public Landing (Butte LaRose), Henderson Lake. Sixth in 8-tournament qualifier. Fee $100/team. Call Jesse Brooks (225) 241-4996. Website http://www.capitalcitybassla.com.
- MAY 20 &MDASH; FALSE RIVER BASS TRAIL TOURNAMENT: Deer Park Landing, Deer Park. Fifth in 9-tournament pick-your-partner series. Fee $40/boat ($60 membership fee). Call Kenny Mix (225) 638-4312.
- MAY 22 &MDASH; CCA BATON ROUGE CHAPTER BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Carl Maddox Field House, LSU, Baton Rouge. Dinner, live/silent auctions. Tickets $60, $30 spouses, $25 youths, $600 tables. Call Rad Trascher (225) 952-9200.
- MAY 23 &MDASH; CCA TANGI CHAPTER BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Twelve Oaks, 500 West Texas Ave., Hammond. Dinner, live/silent auctions. Tickets $60, $30 spouses, $25 youths, $480 tables. Call CCA office (225) 952-9200.
- MAY 26 &MDASH; CMP M1 GARAND RIFLE CLINIC: 8:30 a.m. registration, 9 a.m. class. Southwest Gun Club, U.S. Hwy. 98, McComb, Miss. Fee $40, includes ammo/no fee 17 & younger ($10 club membership required). Participants should bring lunch, drinks, ground cloth, ear & eye protection. Successful qualifying (35 rounds) for 18 & older qualifies to purchase M1 Garand from Civilian Marksmanship Program. Call Doug Bowser (601) 341-8797. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MAY 27 &MDASH; BLESSING OF THE BOATS: 2 p.m., Morrison Parkway, False River, New Roads. Memorial Day weekend honoring U.S. military. All watercraft blessed for spring-summer boating season. Sponsored by Kiwanis Club of Pointe Coupee.
- MAY 30-JUNE 3 &MDASH; DUCKS UNLIMITED’S 75TH NATIONAL CONVENTION: Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center, Nashville. Website: http://www.ducks.org/.
- JUNE 7-9 &MDASH; SWOLFEST FISHING RODEO: Sand Dollar Marina, Grand Isle.
- SPRING SQUIRREL SEASON: Through May 27, private lands. Reduced season on some wildlife management areas. Closed on most federal lands and refuges.