Woman, 75, dies after Florida Blvd. wreck
A woman, 75, died Sunday after she was injured in an accident on Florida Boulevard near Flannery Road, Baton Rouge police said.
Katie Young, of 13532 Bogwood Ave., died of injuries that occurred around 1:20 p.m. in the westbound lanes of Florida Boulevard near Flannery Road, Cpl. Don Coppola Jr., a police spokesman, said.
The accident happened when Young, who was traveling north on Flannery road, crossed over Florida Boulevard in a 2011 Honda and was struck by a 1998 Chevrolet Camaro, Coppola said.
The Chevrolet was driven by a 49-year-old man who was not identified, Coppola said. He had a teenage boy as a passenger in the Camaro. Both drivers along with the teenager were taken to a hospital. The injuries to the driver and passenger of the Chevrolet didn’t appear to be life threatening at the time of the crash, Coppola said.
The crash is under investigation.
Woman arrested in apartment fires
Eastside Fire Department investigators arrested a woman in the fires set in two apartments early June 7 after she was evicted from the complex, officials said.
Ganea Montague, 36, 5656 Paige St., Baton Rouge, was booked into Parish Prison on counts of aggravated arson and terrorizing.
The fire occurred about 6:30 a.m. at a four-apartment complex at 1045 Manson Drive, just off Old Hammond Highway near the Miller Village Shopping Center, Keith Smith, assistant chief with the Eastside Fire Department, said. Montague lived in one of the apartments before the eviction, Smith said.
According to the arrest warrant, witnesses identified Montague as the person who set separate fires in two apartments.
Some of the residents who still live at the complex suspect Montague blamed them for getting evicted and tried to burn the building down in retaliation, the warrant says.
“If it weren’t for some eyewitnesses putting out the fire, we would have had multiple victims trapped,” Smith said. “We would have had our hands full that day.”
Authorities arrest nine suspected of DWI
Authorities arrested at least nine people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Randy Banks, 45, 2258 71st Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI; driver’s license suspended or revoked; and reckless operation of vehicle.
- Eureka Hubbard, 43, 8165 Plank Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation of vehicle.
- Kimberly Jackson, 27, 18733 Samuels Road, Zachary, first-offense DWI and reckless operation of vehicle.
- Shameka Murray, 33, 2757 72nd Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI; operating a vehicle while under suspension for a prior offense; and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Ravlin Parms, 33, 6169 Sumrall Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI; reckless operation of a vehicle; and license plate required.
- Deshona Plummer, 42, 2041 Gen. Cleburne Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI; improper lane use; and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Travis Thomas, 29, 2337 Scenic Gardens Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI; reckless operation of a vehicle; and driver’s license suspended or revoked.
- George Thompson, 42, 5510 Sumrall Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Gerald Thothion, 53, 4888 Hooper Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI; improper lane use; drinking in a motor vehicle; and driver’s license suspended or revoked.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.