P ATTERSON — A Patterson man is in critical condition following a single-vehicle crash early Monday morning and faces arrest for third-offense DWI and vehicular homicide because his passenger died, State Trooper Stephen Hammons said.
Autoro Garcia, 32, of Patterson, was driving a 2001 Chevrolet Blazer west on La. 182 after 3:30 a.m. Monday when he crossed the center line, traveled off the left side of the highway and drove into a ditch. The vehicle overturned, causing Garcia and his passenger, Misael Garcia, 24, of Morgan City, to both be ejected. Neither were wearing their seat belts.
Misael Garcia was pronounced dead at the scene and Autoro Garcia was transported to a hospital.
“Troopers determined that Autoro Garcia was not a licensed driver and that he was impaired,” Hammons said in a news release.
Autoro Garcia faces arrest for DWI third offense, vehicular homicide, careless operation, no seat belt and no driver’s license, Hammons said.
He said toxicology samples will be submitted to the State Police Crime Lab for analysis and the crash remains under investigation.
Suspected robber surrenders to police
LAFAYETTE — Harold James Carmouche Jr., the bank robbery suspect wanted by Lafayette police, surrendered to the Lafayette Police Department before 11 a.m. Monday.
Carmouche, 30, of Lafayette, was identified earlier Monday as a suspect in the April 9 robbery of the Chase bank, 2500 Moss St., and police issued a warrant for his arrest.
Police say Carmouche and another unidentified man entered the bank with their faces covered and ordered everyone to get down on the floor.
The two men then demanded money from the tellers before leaving the bank in a small, four-door, green, older-model vehicle.
No one was injured in the robbery.
The robbery remains under investigation and the identity of the second man involved in the robbery has not yet been released.
Arrests posted April 14, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office website:
- FREDERICK BENTON: 56, of the 700 block of Jefferson Boulevard, Lafayette. He was booked on attempted second-degree murder.
- DAWN LYNN CLARK: 40, of the 5500 block of West Congress, Duson. She was booked on a fugitive warrant and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- SEAN MICHAEL CLAY: 23, of the 300 block of East Edith Road, Lafayette. He was booked on simple battery.
- MONCELL VINCENT COLLINS: 46, of the 300 block of Marigny Circle, Duson. He was booked on a fugitive warrant.
- CARL CORMIER: 21, of the 200 block of Green Road, Lafayette. He was booked on carrying a weapon while committing or attempting to commit a crime or while in possession or during sale or distribution of a controlled substance, distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule III narcotics, manufacture or distribution of Schedule II narcotics, misdemeanor distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics and possession of or dealing in firearms with obliterated number marks.
- MATTHEW JAMES CSASZAR: 29, of the 300 block of Dwayne Drive, Duson. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- MICHAEL P. FOSTER: 21, of the 100 block of Hanchey Street, Lafayette. He was booked on simple battery.
- KEVIN JOSEPH GABRIEL: 40, of the 200 block of North Chevis, Rayne. He was booked on two counts for Acadia Parish, two counts for Ouachita Parish, resisting an officer and two counts of simple battery.
- JOSE GUTIERREZ: 22, of the 1800 block of North Parkerson Avenue, Crowley. He was booked on driver must be licensed, misdemeanor hit-and-run driving and misdemeanor reckless operation of a vehicle.
- LISA ANN HOLLIDAY: 36, of the 400 block of Marigny Circle, Duson. She was booked on simple battery and three counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- JOHNNY HUNTLY: 20, of the 100 block of Marigny Circle, Duson. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- MARCELL KELLY: 24, of the 300 block of Martin Luther King Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics.
- ANDREW FREDRICK KESTNER: 26, of the 500 block of Pope Drive, Carencro. He was booked on misdemeanor theft and three counts of simple burglary.
- TOMMY LAMPEREZ: 29, of the 600 block of Ashton Street, New Iberia. He was booked on misdemeanor possession of marijuana, misdemeanor reckless operation of a vehicle and prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- COURTNEY ANDREW LEFEBVRE: 25, of the 700 block of Carpenter Street, Jena. He was booked on for Lasalle Parish, for Rapides Parish and warrant/bench warrant.
- EARL LEWIS: 44, of the 200 block of Lodge Street, Lafayette. He was booked on simple burglary and aggravated battery.
- JULIE LOUVIERE: 30, of the 800 block of Butcher Switch, Carencro. She was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods and a fugitive warrant.
- NONA MARIE MATTHEWS: 28, of the 12019 block of Judge Doucet Road, Abbeville. She was booked on misdemeanor theft.
- PRESTON P. MOAK: 25, of the 2900 block of West Willow, Lafayette. He was booked on two counts of careless operation, distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule IV narcotics, misdemeanor hit-and-run driving, misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and vehicular negligent injuring.
- JAROD PAVELCHIK: 29, of the 1900 block of Apartment Lane, Sacramento. He was booked on misdemeanor theft.
- LOUIS JOHN TOLLIVER JR.: 44, of the 200 block of Jack Street, Carencro. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and speeding.
- THADDEUS TATA WOODS: 27, of the 100 block of Randolph Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on public intimidation and retaliation.