Lafayette man sentenced to 10 years
LAFAYETTE — A 36-year-old Lafayette man was sentenced Friday to 10 years in federal prison for distributing cocaine and conspiracy to distribute the illegal drugs.
U.S. District Judge Elizabeth Foote also ordered John Cedric Dauphin to serve five years of supervised release.
Dauphin was one of five defendants indicted in April 2012 on conspiracy charges related to cocaine distribution from August 2008 until April 2011, U.S. Attorney Stephanie Finley said in a release.
Dauphin admitted in court that he was part of a drug ring that got cocaine out of Houston for distribution in the Lafayette area, Finley said.
Dauphin’s codefendants — German Rodriguez, Tyrone Thibeaux, Fernellis Woods and Glenn Charles — have pleaded guilty.
Rodriguez is scheduled for sentencing in March, and Thibeaux will learn his fate in April.
In October, Foote sentenced Woods to more than 11 years in prison. In December, the judge sentenced Charles almost six years in a federal penitentiary, Finley said.
Three booked in drug investigation
OPELOUSAS — An Opelousas man who was the target of a six-month drug investigation was arrested Thursday night after he allegedly sold crack cocaine to an undercover police officer, Opelousas Police Chief Perry Gallow said in a release.
Joshua Johnson, 28, of 918 Truman St., was arrested, and crack cocaine with an estimated street value of $3,500 was confiscated, in the operation in which Opelousas teamed with State Police and the Patterson Police Department.
Gallow said that once Johnson realized he was in a sting he tried to flee but was caught by a team comprising officers from Opelousas, State Police and the St. Landry Parish Sheriff’s Office.
Officers searched two homes associated with Johnson, at 918 Truman St. and 925 Truman St. In the second house a 40-caliber handgun was located, Gallow said.
The investigation netted about $15,000 worth of crack cocaine, Gallow said, and the arrests of two other suspects: Damiel Pierre, 31, of 1316 Cherokee Drive, and Blonda Hunt, 43, of 1747 Caddo St.
Iota police officer booked in thefts
IOTA — An Iota police officer was arrested this week on suspicion he stole weapons and cash from the Police Department’s evidence room, Acadia Parish Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Maxine Trahan said in a release Friday.
Officer Daniel Broussard was booked into the Acadia Parish jail on counts of theft and malfeasance in office after sheriff’s detectives conducted an investigation at the request of Iota Police Chief Scotty Pousson.
Pousson asked Sheriff Wayne Melancon to investigate in early February after the chief suspected weapons were missing, Trahan said.
Broussard, who lives on La. 13 in Crowley, was being held in lieu of $15,000 bail.
Arrests posted Feb. 14, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s web site:
- KIRK DOUGLAS BERGERON: 45, of the 1000 block of Dupuis Road, Henderson. He was booked on simple battery.
- TAYLOR BERNARD: 19, of the 500 block of Rue Des Babineaux, Scott. She was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods.
- RICARDO CARRION: 47, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on felony violation of protective orders.
- JEREMY JERMAINE CELESTINE: 29, of the 400 block of Heide Circle, Lafayette. He was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- CHELSEA RENEE CORMIER: 20, of the 2300 block of La. 700, Rayne. She was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- CORDERA DEAN FELIX: 26, of the 100 block of North General Marshall, Lafayette. He was booked on carrying a weapon while committing or attempting to commit a crime or while in possession or during sale or distribution of a controlled substance and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- DAVID WAYNE FONTENOT: 21, of the 1000 block of West Simcoe Street, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor possession of marijuana and distribution or possession with intent to distribute Schedule II narcotics.
- MARC ANTHONY FRUGE: 36, of the 600 block of Verterans Drive, Carencro. He was booked on unlawful use of a social networking website.
- NICHOLAS GARBER: 19, of the 300 block of La. 96, Broussard. He was booked on two counts for St. Martin Parish.
- KEAMYNIE GEORGE: 17, of the 400 block of Daffydill Loop, Lafayette. He was booked on criminal trespass.
- JACOB W. HARGIS: 19, of the 1000 block of East University Avenue, Lafayette. He was booked on failure to use turn signal; having no safety belt; and misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- TOBIAS DEMITIER HARRISON: 22, of the 100 block of South Refinery Street, Lafayette. He was booked on for St. Martin Parish and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- WILLIAM BERNARD JOHNSON: 46, of the 100 block of Fernhill Avenue, Lafayette. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant and probation violation.
- RAYMOND J. LEDET: 52, of the 900 block of Dellhomme, Scott. He was booked on municipal purposes.
- ANDREA MADRID: 18, of the 1000 block of River Court, Mandeville. She was booked on misdemeanor battery of a police officer; three counts of misdemeanor hit-and-run driving; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; and resisting an officer.
- JOHN V. MCCADE: 27, of the 200 block of Oregron Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on disturbing the peace and resisting an officer.
- LLOYD F. MOUTON: 34, of the 200 block of Beau Bassin, Carencro. He was booked on for St. Martin Parish.
- RUSTY DARREN PADDIO: 28, of the 500 block of Madeline, Lafayette. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- TYRONE JOSEPH RIDEAUX: 31, of the 600 block of Michaud Street, Carencro. He was booked on resisting an officer and disturbing the peace.
- NAVIN SAM: 17, of the 1100 block of North St. Antoine Street, Lafayette. He was booked on resisting an officer.
- ERIC T. SHELVIN: 25, of the 1100 block of Moss Street, Lafayette. He was booked on four counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- RANDUL LAPEZ SKINNER: 26, of the 100 block of North Loop, Lafayette. He was booked on emanation of excessive sound or noise; operating a vehicle with a suspended license; and probation violation.
- GAGE MICHAEL VENABLE: 19, of the 700 block of Hwy 700, Duson. He was booked on misdemeanor unauthorized use of access card as theft and for Acadia Parish.
- BRIEN K. WHITTLE: 48, of the 300 block of Rayburn Drive, Lafayette. He was booked on 102 counts of pornography involving juveniles.