LAFAYETTE — State and federal agents have arrested a Lafayette man suspected of using the Internet to entice a minor into a sexual encounter, State Police said.
John James Lee, 29, of St. Landry Street, Lafayette, was booked into the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center on Thursday on counts related to computer-aided solicitation of a minor and production of child pornography, Trooper 1st Class Stephen Hammons said.
Undercover agents “made contact” with Lee, who thought he was communicating with a 15-year-old on a social networking site.
“Lee was seeking a child under the age of 15 for a sexual encounter,” Hammons said in a release.
Lee reportedly asked for sexually explicit photographs and agreed to meet someone he thought was a 15-year-old. The child’s gender was not specified.
Lee was arrested without incident at the rendezvous site, Hammons said.
The case is part of Operation Child Watch, an endeavor by law officers at all levels to rescue children from sexual abuse and arrest predators, Hammons said.
Anyone with information about sexual abuse of children can call State Police at (337) 262-5880.
Police arrest man, 52, in child sex crime
CHURCH POINT — A 52-year-old Church Point man was booked into St. Landry Parish jail Thursday, accused of a sex crime involving a 3-year-old child, authorities said.
Michael Melancon allegedly had “inappropriate sexual contact” with the child, Sheriff’s Office Capt. Megan Vizena said in a release. Vizena did not disclose the child’s gender.
The arrest followed an investigation that began after the child’s mother complained to investigators on Dec. 7.
Melancon, who resides at 112 Chachere Road Lot 3 in Church Point, is being held without bond, Vizena said.
Arrests posted Jan. 3, 2014, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s web site:
- Jessica Ball: 27, of the 3800 block of Lakelynn Drive, Gretna. She was booked on misdemeanor violation of protective orders.
- Lance Belaire: 25, of the 2500 block of Cathoula Highway, St. Martinville. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- Christopher James Bourque: 35, of the 3400 block of Coteau Road, New Iberia. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant and safety belt violation.
- Jason Renard Brooks: 33, of the 100 block of 11th Street, Lafayette. He was booked on failure of registered as a sex offender and failure to notify law enforcement of change of address after vacating residence.
- Christine Bardin Brown: 51, of the 500 block of St. Catherine Street, Lafayette. She was booked on warrant from Plaquemines Parish.
- Johnathan Carter: 44, of the 1000 block of Arceneaux Road, Breaux Bridge. He was booked on operating a vehicle with a suspended license.
- Jody Wayne Cini: 41, of the 100 block of Theodora Boulevard, Lafayette. He was booked on a warrant for St. Martin Parish and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- Donald D. Dietz: 25, of the 1800 block of Truman Street, Crowley. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant. Jedidiah Michael Guidry: 35, of the 200 block of C-Printemps Road Street, Carencro. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic-abuse child endangerment.
- Darrell Ray Harris: 35, of the 600 block of Poydras Street, Lafayette. He was booked on counts of obscenity, resisting an officer, and sexual battery.
- John A. Leblanc: 48, of the 2100 block of Carmel Street, Lafayette. He was booked on unauthorized entry of an inhabited dwelling.
- John Lee: 29, of the 200 block of St. Landry Street, Lafayette. He was booked on pornography involving juveniles and computer-aided solicitation of a minor.
- Craig Allan Mullen: 31, of the 3600 block of Kaliste Saloom Road, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and misdemeanor theft.
- Mattie Queen: 32, of the 5000 block of Lemonwood Drive, Baton Rouge. She was booked on simple battery.
- Robert Willis Simon Jr.: 32, of the 900 block of St. Fidelis, Carencro. He was booked on fugitive warrant.
- Joshua Simon: 17, of the 900 block of South Sterling Street, Lafayette. He was booked on two counts of simple burglary.
- Kevin Blake Thibodeaux: 33, of the 200 block of Landmark Street, Lafayette. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- Hannah Young: 21, of the 100 block of South Cedar Street, Abbeville. She was booked on two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- Eugene Zeaunc III: 53, St. Martinville. He was booked on counts of careless operation, no license and misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.