Man faces charge in death of fetus
CARENCRO — Carencro police Monday arrested a man they believe crashed his car over the weekend into a vehicle carrying a six-months’ pregnant woman who lost the baby from the trauma, Chief Carlos Stutes said.
Luis Alfredo Ortiz, 26, of Carencro, was booked on one count of hit and run, and could be charged later in the death of the fetus, Stout said in a release.
The case is under review by the Lafayette Parish District Attorney’s Office.
Ortiz was driving a vehicle without headlights in the 300 block of West Gloria Switch Road at 9:43 p.m. Saturday when he crashed into the car carrying the pregnant woman, whose name was not released, police said.
Ortiz fled on foot following the crash, Stout said, and was located Monday.
Man suspected of multiple robberies
LAFAYETTE — Police on a nighttime stake-out near a convenience store Friday arrested Keiwayttan Turner, who detectives believe robbed eight other Lafayette convenience stores in the last three weeks, Lafayette police said.
Police arrested Turner, 25, as he walked into the store at 624 Kaliste Saloom Road at 11:40 a.m. with his face covered and a gun drawn, Cpl. Paul Mouton said in a release.
Police believe it would have been his ninth heist.
After Turner’s arrest, police searched his Lafayette residence and found evidence connecting him to the eight other robberies.
Mouton said Turner is believed to be responsible for the armed robberies at: 2007 Johnston St. on Nov. 25; 2927 Verot School Road on Nov.; 409 E. University Ave. on Nov. 30; 1339 SE Evangeline Thruway on Dec. 2; 2602 Kaliste Saloom Road on Dec. 5; 3400 West Pinhook Road on Dec. 6; 301 Verot School Road on Dec. 7; and 5714 Johnston St. on Dec. 7.
Turner was booked at the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center in a case that remains under investigation.
Two arrested in Dec. 10 credit union heist
LAFAYETTE — Lafayette police have arrested two men and are looking for a third in last week’s armed robbery of a Willow Street credit union, police said.
Ronald Taylor Jr., 17, and Roderick R. Cormier, 27, both of Lafayette, were booked on one count each of principal to armed robberies for their alleged roles in the Dec. 10 armed robbery of the Section 705 Federal Credit Union, Lafayette Cpl. Paul Mouton said in a release.
Police continued their search for Jamikal Phillips, 17, who is suspected of being the one who pulled a gun and a mask over his head before he demanded money from a teller.
Phillips fled on foot north into a wooded area between West Willow Street and Cameron Street.
Anyone with information on Phillips’ whereabouts is asked to call Lafayette Police or Crime Stoppers at (337) 232-TIPS.
Arrests posted Dec. 16, 2013, on the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s web site:
- ROY ANDRUS: 20, of the 300 block of Nashua, Carencro. He was booked on contributing to the delinquency of juveniles; criminal trespass; six counts of encouraging or contributing to child delinquency, dependency, or neglect; felony illegal possession of stolen things; two counts of misdemeanor unauthorized use of a vehicle; three counts of simple burglary; three counts of simple criminal damage to property; five counts of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle; and two counts of warrant/bench warrant.
- JOHN BARRETT BOUY: 27, of the 600 block of Roselawn Boulevard, Lafayette. He was booked on careless operation; misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated; municipal purposes; prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia); and warrant/bench warrant.
- JAMAL BROWN: 20, of the 100 block of Bein Bill Avenue, Opelousas. He was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods.
- HAILEE MARIE CASTILLE: 22, of the 200 block of East Bayou Parkway, Lafayette. She was booked on prohibited activities (drug paraphernalia).
- HILLARY COX: 21, of the 600 block of Beverly Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and improper lane change (no accident).
- RANDY CREDEUR: 54, homeless, Lafayette. He was booked on felony theft.
- BENJAMIN DUCK: 25, of the 800 block of Rue Royal, New Iberia. He was booked on disturbing the peace.
- DWAYNE JOSEPH FONTENOT: 39, of the 600 block of Lamar, Lafayette. He was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and careless operation.
- RONDELL JONES: 20, of the 200 block of Rue Royal Street, Lafayette. He was booked on criminal trespass.
- ANTHONY JAMES JONES: 28, of the 300 block of Pamela Street, Carencro. He was booked on criminal trespass; fugitive; two counts of possession of firearm or carrying concealed weapon by a person convicted of felonies; possession of or dealing in firearms with obliterated numbeor marks; and possession with intent to distribute a Schedule II controlled dangerous substance.
- ANDRE MICHAEL LEBLANC: 26, of the 100 block of Renwood Circle, Lafayette. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- MARVIN MALVEAUX: 29, of the 500 block of North Wilderness Trail, Carencro. He was booked on warrant/bench warrant.
- ALYCE N. MILLS: 26, of the 500 block of Presbytere Parkway, Lafayette. She was booked on misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated and disobeying a stop sign.
- JANMEL M. MOORE: 32, of the 200 block of Ryder Drive, Lafayette. She was booked on five counts of fugitive.
- RAYLIN RICHARD: 33, of the 700 block of Picard Road, Milton. He was booked on misdemeanor domestic abuse battery.
- HEATH E. RODRIGUEZ: 47, of the 100 block of Zothique Milton Street, Milton. He was booked on misdemeanor theft of goods and resisting an officer.
- HENRY SMITH: 34, of the 1000 block of North Pierce Street, Lafayette. He was booked on shoplifting and simple criminal damage to property.
- JAMES STRUGIS: 25, of the 1000 block of Vincent Barard Street, Breaux Bridge. He was booked on criminal trespass.
- BRANDON TOUCHET: 34, of the 300 block of Rue Chartres, Lafayette. He was booked on speeding and misdemeanor operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- MILLER WILTON: 52, of the 1200 block of SE Evangeline Thruway, Lafayette. He was booked on resisting an officer.