Shooting victim has life-threatening wounds
A 38-year-old man is in critical condition at a Baton Rouge hospital after he was shot several times in the upper body Monday night.
The shooting occurred about 10:30 p.m. in the 1700 block of East Braddock Street, police spokesman Cpl. L’Jean McKneely said.
The wounds are considered life-threatening, McKneely said.
No witnesses have come forward, McKneely said.
Man dies late Monday from gunshot wounds
A Baton Rouge man died Monday after being shot multiple times in the 10125 block of Ballina Avenue, police reported Tuesday.
Officers responded to the shooting at 10:39 p.m. Monday and found an unresponsive Brandon Wright, 24, 10125 Ballina Ave., Unit D, next to a white Dodge Avenger, police spokesman Cpl. Don Coppola Jr. said in an email.
Wright was taken to a local hospital where he later died, Coppola said.
Police do not have a motive in the shooting.
Contact the Violent Crimes Unit at (225) 389-4869 or Crime Stoppers at (225) 344-7867 with information on this case.
Attempted rape leads to Monday arrest
Baton Rouge police arrested a man Monday on allegations he tried to rape a 53-year-old woman in a grassy lot in the 3300 block of Laurel Street.
James Percy Fort, 32, 11707 Kingston Drive, Baton Rouge, was booked into Parish Prison on counts of attempted forcible rape, second-degree kidnapping and resisting an officer.
Authorities said Fort grabbed the victim by the head while she was standing in front of a store front and forced her into the lot.
He covered her mouth when police arrived in the area to prevent her from screaming, but she was able to break free and alert an officer, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
Six accused of driving while intoxicated
Authorities arrested at least six people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Monday and 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Courtland McCullough, 19, 1448 Sharlo Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation, disobeying a control device and improper turns.
- Maria Sotocruz, 26, 6463 NW 197th St., Hialeah, Fla., first-offense DWI, reckless operation, failure to maintain control and driver’s license not in possession.
- Samuel Sternfels, 21, 6545 La. 1, Belle Rose, second-offense DWI and careless operation.
- Jeffery Thomas, 28, 4243 E. Catalina Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper window tint, reckless operation, possession of marijuana and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Brendan Walsh, 19, 273 Shady Oak Court, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, failure to change address on driver’s license, reckless operation, license plate required and failure to maintain control.
- Milton Westley, 42, 5157 Wilmont St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and backing unsafely.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.