An electrical malfunction sparked a fire at a fourplex on North 39th Street early Friday morning, injuring no one, but displacing six residents.
Firefighters arrived at 2:35 a.m. to find an upstairs unit of 639 N. 39th St. burning, Fire Department spokesperson Curt Monte said in an email at 8:30 a.m. “All residents escaped unharmed before firefighters arrived.”
The department, responding with four pumper trucks, one ladder truck and two support vehicles, had the fire under control by 2:52 a.m., he said.
Fire damage was contained to the one apartment, which was occupied, but the unoccupied adjacent upstairs unit received smoke and water damage, while the downstairs units — one of which was occupied — also received water damage, Monte said.
The department estimates the fire caused $215,000 in damage — $200,000 to the building, $15,000 to contents.