Vernon Parish man, 30, arrested in Nov. rape
Baton Rouge police arrested a 30-year-old Vernon Parish man Thursday who is accused in the rape in November of an intoxicated 21-year-old woman. Police said the woman was outside a restaurant and bar near LSU when the man offered her a ride home in his sport utility vehicle.
Police booked Clifford Howle, 413 Hickory St., New Llano, into Parish Prison on counts of simple rape, according to an arrest warrant.
Howle is accused of offering a ride to the victim, who was sitting on a curb near a restaurant and bar on Burbank Drive around midnight on Nov. 17, the warrant says.
Instead of taking the woman home, Howle is accused of driving her to a driveway in the 8000 block of Highland Road, touching her inappropriately and raping her in the passenger seat of his vehicle, the warrant says.
The victim, who was in and out of consciousness during the incident, eventually exited the SUV in an attempt to find out the vehicle’s license plate number, the warrant says, at which time the SUV fled the scene.
Man arrested on sex, robbery, drug counts
East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff’s deputies arrested a 24-year-old man accused of offering to pay a woman for sex and then attempting to rob her at gunpoint Friday morning near the 5200 block of North Flannery Road.
Deputies booked Donnie Pernell Davis, 24, of Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on counts of armed robbery, solicitation of prostitution, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of Schedule I, II and III drugs, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
The victim said she arranged to have sex with Davis for 30 minutes for $100, but after she picked him up and took him to his residence, she became suspicious, the affidavit says.
Upon changing her mind about the sexual arrangement and attempting to leave, Davis is accused of pulling a pistol and demanding keys to the woman’s car, money and a cellphone, the affidavit says.
The woman escaped the vehicle, and while flagging down cars on North Flannery Road, the suspect first threatened to shoot her before fleeing the scene once deputies pulled up, the affidavit says.
Deputies found Davis hiding in the woods and arrested him, the warrant says.
Nine people booked on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least nine people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Wednesday and 2:30 p.m. Friday, records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Craig Caruso, 25, 821 N. Upland Ave., Metairie, first-offense DWI.
- Matthew Edwards, 21, 5513 Moorston Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and speeding.
- Donald Flowers, 44, 16219 Milldale Road, Zachary, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and improper lane usage.
- Michael Holcolmb, 39, 5223 E. Hunter’s Chapel Court, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and driving without a license.
- Zane Howard, 26, 5964 Lundy Road, Theodore, Ala., first-offense DWI and a stop sign/yield sign violation.
- Willie Jackson, 67, 2813 Rachael Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, failure to signal while turning, insurance required, improper lane usage and reckless operation.
- Eric James, 20, 768 Liberty Road, Natchez, Miss., first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Derek Rumney 20, 1138 W. Lee Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and improper lane usage.
- Alvin Thomas, 55, 5660 Packard St., Baton Rouge, third-offense DWI, failure to signal while turning, possession of an alcoholic beverage in a vehicle, improper lane usage, operating a vehicle while driver’s license is suspended for a prior offense and reckless operation.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.