Fire destroys kitchen, living area of apartment
An unattended cooking fire Wednesday night destroyed the kitchen and living area of an apartment in the 2000 block of North Lobdell Boulevard.
A resident at Copper Ridge Apartments walked upstairs shortly after 9 p.m. while cooking when her child, who was downstairs, alerted her that the apartment had caught fire, said Curt Monte, a Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman.
Both the woman and the child escaped unharmed, Monte said.
Besides the damage to the kitchen and living area, the rest of the apartment received smoke and water damage, he said.
Firefighters had the blaze under control by 9:38 p.m., 24 minutes after the arrival of the first unit, Monte said.
Firefighters dismantle wall to douse blaze
An electrical malfunction ignited a blaze Wednesday night in a Tiger Park apartment on Jim Taylor Drive.
Firefighters arrived at the complex at 8:40 p.m. and found the rear wall in one of the apartment’s ablaze, said Curt Monte, a Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman.
Firefighters had to dismantle the wall to extinguish the flames, which were under control about 40 minutes later, Monte said.
The malfunction caused a power outage to all eight of the Tiger Park Apartments, Monte said.
Police book man, 37, with carnal knowledge
Baton Rouge police arrested a 37-year-old man Wednesday accused of having sex multiple times with a 16-year-old girl.
Police booked Terrance Grayson, 3563 Eaton St., Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on counts of carnal knowledge of a juvenile, according to an arrest warrant.
Both the victim and Grayson told police they engaged in consensual sexual activity between January and June, the warrant says.
Five people arrested, suspected of DWI
Authorities arrested at least five people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Wednesday and 2:30 p.m. Thursday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Lisa Adams, 27, 3277 Appian Drive, Kenner, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and a one-way street violation.
- Misty Breaux, 35, 8057 Sholar Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended or revoked, reckless operation and a one-way street violation.
- Donald Isaac, 57, 11021 Plank Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, riding a bicycle on roadways and bicycle paths violation and possession of an alcoholic beverage in a vehicle.
- Brett Jones, 22, 32443 Bandywood Drive, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of marijuana and reckless operation.
- Joshua Ramirez, 41, 6571 Kleinpeter Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and improper lane usage.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.