Power strip suspected in apartment fire
Baton Rouge firefighters battled a blaze Tuesday at the Mirage Villa apartment complex on Florida Boulevard that may have been caused by an overloaded power strip.
Firefighters arrived at the complex at 9895 Florida Blvd., at 10:25 a.m. and found a bedroom of one apartment on fire, spokesman Robert Combs said.
Firefighters kept the fire contained to the bedroom and a bathroom, but the rest of the apartment and an upstairs unit were significantly damaged by heat and smoke, Combs said.
Other adjacent units had light smoke damage, Combs said.
The fire was extinguished at 10:36 a.m. and damage to the building was estimated at $60,000, Combs said.
No injuries were reported.
BR man booked in drive-by shooting
Baton Rouge police have arrested a 20-year-old man accused of firing two shotgun blasts at a woman as she drove by Sunday.
Police booked Joshua Huggins, 5284 Paige St., Baton Rouge, into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on Monday on counts of attempted second-degree murder.
The driver told police Huggins shot at her on Simplex Street near Cadillac Street and they saw six holes in the front and rear driver’s side doors, an affidavit of probable cause says.
BR man, 47, accused of asking teen for sex
Sheriff’s deputies arrested a 47-year-old man Tuesday after he was accused of offering cash, shoes and a cellphone to a 14-year-old girl in return for sexual favors.
Reginald Jerome Ferguson, 3037 Winnipeg Drive, Baton Rouge, was booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on counts of indecent behavior with juveniles, prison records show.
The victim’s mother said she asked Ferguson to stop, which he did for a while before continuing more aggresively, the affidavit says.
Ferguson denied the allegations, saying he only contacted the girl after she asked him to because she was having problems at home, the affidavit says.
6 booked with DWI in EBR Parish Prison
Authorities arrested at least six people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Monday and 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Alex Carruth, 19, 6262 Menlo Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, disobeying a red light and improper lane usage.
- Nicholas Duncan, 20, 26491 Avoyelles Ave., Denham Springs, first-offense DWI and equipment violation.
- Jack Dyer, 17, 5721 Hyacinth Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, failure to maintain control, license plate required and improper lane usage.
- Evan Kissinger, 18, 14535 Shenandoah Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driving left of center and reckless operation.
- Dominick Vaccarella, 28, 3717 Gallo Drive, Chalmette, second-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Pamela Wiltz, 40, 5936 Larch Meadow Court, Dutchtown, first-offense DWI, careless operation, resisting an officer and battery of a police officer.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.