Officer blocks traffic to save man in road
A Baton Rouge police officer had to swerve in the middle of oncoming traffic with his lights and sirens on Sunday morning to keep a car from running over a man sleeping in the middle of the 4700 block of Prescott Road.
When police awoke Mark Brown, 35, at about 5:12 a.m., his breath had a very strong odor of alcohol. He told officers his two children were in the SUV across the street, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
Police booked Brown, 2931 Tecumseh St., Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on counts of child desertion, aggravated obstruction of a public highway, resisting arrest and disturbing the peace by intoxication.
Brown told police he thought he was sleeping in the SUV that the children were in.
Police: Man violates protective order
A 43-year-old man with a restraining order against him was arrested Saturday, accused of violating the order on July 18 and several times between May 24 and July 28.
Baton Rouge police booked Joseph Bean, 1416 Lake Calais Ave., Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on counts of stalking and violation of protective orders.
According to an affidavit warrant, a security guard from an apartment complex saw Bean’s car at about 9:04 p.m. July 18 in the complex and knew he was not supposed to be there because of a protective order.
The security guard also recorded footage of Bean’s car on the premises.
Tracking data provided by Bean’s probation officer showed he was at the complex on July 18 and that he also was at the complex several times between May 24 and June 29, the warrant says.
Authorities arrest 6 on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least six people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Amanda Babin, 27, 38116 S. Willow Lake Ave., Prairieville, second-offense DWI, barricades violation, driving left of center and reckless operation.
- Jonathan Jouet, 35, 1414 Lake Ave., Metairie, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Molly Marques, 22, 5005 Rebecca Blvd., Kenner, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Steven Martinez, 21, 13430 Acres Court Drive, Baker, first-offense DWI and failure to dim headlights.
- Cynthia Picou, 69, 10655 S. Stanwick Place, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI and careless operation.
- Marc Stanley, 22, 15946 Chantilly Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and speeding.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.