One man dead, one wounded in Saturday night shooting.

A 23-year-old Baton Rouge man was gunned down Saturday night in his front yard on Alliquippa Street, just when family and friends say he was getting closer to graduating from a trade school and working to turn his life in a new direction.

Shaquille Davis, 3535 Alliquippa St., was shot and killed in his front yard at about 10:30 p.m., Baton Rouge police spokesman Cpl. L’Jean McKneely said.

A 21-year-old man, identified by family members as Davis’ brother, ran outside when he heard the gunfire and was shot once in the arm by the assailant. His injury is non life-threatening.

Charles Kimber, Davis’ uncle, said it’s time for people who may have information on the shooting to come forward.

“It’s happening to a lot of families’ kids out here and nobody never want to say nothing,” he said. “But trust and believe when it happens to your family, you going to want somebody to say something.”

Davis was shot in the 70805 area code, which is where the Baton Rouge Area Violence Elimination project is working.

The BRAVE initiative, launched in June 2012, is a community-policing effort that aims to curb violent crime and disrupt gang activity. The effort, based on the nationally acclaimed Operation Ceasefire, has focused in large part on the city’s most crime-ridden neighborhoods in the 70805 ZIP code.

The area is generally bordered by Airline Highway to the north and east, Choctaw Drive to the south and the Mississippi River to the west.

Police have no motive in Davis’ shooting.

Less than 14 hours after the shooting, Davis’ family and friends were trying to come to grips with his death.

“He had no enemies, that’s how we don’t understand what happened,” said David Lewis, a friend of Davis’ for about 15 years.

Davis was attending the Louisiana Technical College to get his welding certificate and had two semesters left before graduation.

He recently took a part-time job at a KFC restaurant until he could get a welding job, Lewis said. Sunday would have been his second day.

Shawn Robertson said he was with Davis about an hour before the shooting and was on his way back to Davis’ house to pick him up.

The two were going to the Belle of Baton Rouge Casino. However a neighbor called and told him about the shooting.

Robertson said he did not notice anything in Davis’ demeanor that indicated something was wrong.

“It was very surprising,” Robertson said. “I couldn’t sleep last night.”

Kimber said his nephew had been in trouble as a youth, but was getting his life together.

“He was always telling me, ‘Hey Unc, I’m getting it right now,’ ” Kimber said.

He described Davis as a very respectable man and a kind-hearted person who looked out for his younger brother after their father died a few months ago.

Kimber did have words for the shooter. “Every knee must bow and every tongue must confess. Just like you did it to him, it’s coming, just be prepared,” he said.