Police seek suspect in Friday shooting
Baton Rouge police on Friday afternoon were searching for a 28-year-old man wanted in the early-morning shooting of a 34-year-old man at an apartment complex on North Marque Ann Drive.
Police obtained a search warrant for Steaphon Harris, 1387 Harco Drive, Baton Rouge, who is accused of attempted second-degree murder, illegal use of a weapon and felon in possession of a firearm, said Lt. Don Kelly, a police spokesman.
The victim, who has not been identified, was found with multiple gunshot wounds in the courtyard of the Centurion Arms apartment complex around 1:50 a.m.
The victim sustained life-threatening injuries, Kelly said, but was alive as of Friday evening.
Preliminary information indicates the victim was approached by a man armed with a shotgun who started shooting at him for unknown reasons. The victim tried to run, but was hit and possibly shot again after he fell to the ground, police said.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call police at (225) 389-4869 or Crime Stoppers at (225) 344-7867.
Seven arrested on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least seven people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Thursday and 2:30 p.m. Friday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Willie Bell, 67, 3839 Sycamore St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI.
- Diana Graham, 52, 5315 Lesage Drive, Greenwell Springs, first-offense DWI and failure to maintain control of a vehicle.
- Dennis Green, 21, 2813 73rd Ave., first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle, motor vehicle inspection required, speeding, driving without a license and insurance required.
- Dexter Montgomery, 38, 344 Rue de Laplace, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI and driving with a suspended license for a prior offense.
- Vernon Powell, 32, 8550 Sara Parkway, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and a driver’s license required or expired.
- Darryl Tolliver, 25, 2024 N. Acadian Thruway, first-offense DWI and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Darren Warren, 44, 2748 75th Ave., second-offense DWI and drinking in a motor vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.