Arrest made in fatal June 12 shooting on Sherwood Forest Blvd.

Baton Rouge police on Thursday arrested a 27-year-old man accused in the fatal shooting of Brandon Carter, 25, on June 12 in the 2100 block of North Sherwood Forest Boulevard.

Christopher Spears, 27, 16441 S. Harrells Ferry Road, Baton Rouge, was booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on Thursday on counts of first-degree murder, armed robbery and illegal use of weapons, prison records show.

Shortly after 11 a.m. on June 12, police officers patrolling the area heard multiple gunshots and soon found Carter’s body lying face-down in front of an apartment complex at 2150 N. Sherwood Forest Blvd., an area known as “The Cut.”

Officers arriving at the scene reported seeing two men, one wearing tan coveralls and another wearing what looked like a black hoodie sweater, walking away from Carter’s body and then fleeing in different directions as their patrol car pulled into the area, according to an affidavit of probable cause.

One of the men crossed North Sherwood Forest Boulevard and was walking westbound toward Chalice Drive, while the other man headed northbound into a strip mall, the affidavit says.

While searching the area for the men, police officers went into a nearby barbershop.

Shortly after leaving, they received a phone call from a witness who reported that one of the barber shop’s customers had behaved suspiciously and might be the person they were seeking.

The barbers told police that the man had entered the shop shortly before officers arrived carrying what appeared to be something tan bundled up with a red bandana, and asked if the shop had a trash can because he needed to throw something away, the affidavit says.

The man then asked one of the barbers for a haircut, the affidavit says, during which he appeared nervous, constantly turning around and looking at the front door of the shop.

After paying for the haircut, the man, whoM police later identified as Spears, was picked up in a blue Ford Crown Victoria registered to Gwendolyn Spears, the affidavit says.

Later that day, Christopher Spears gave the vehicle to another man, who was eventually stopped by police while driving it, the affidavit says.

Both that man and a woman riding in the car identified photographs of Spears as a man they knew as “Wodie,” the affidavit says.

Police said in a news release Thursday that the investigation is ongoing and additional arrests were possible.

Carter’s cousin, Sharon Myles, told The Advocate June 12 that Brandon’s older brother, Quentin Carter, was shot and killed on Aug. 16, 2004. Myles said Brandon was shot in the head a week after Quentin and survived that shooting.

“He didn’t deserve to be done like this,” Myles said, adding that Brandon Carter was a good man, like a “big teddy bear.”