LAFAYETTE — An electric cord that shorted out early Friday is the likely cause of a house fire on Evangeline Drive where the owners escaped uninjured, but two dogs died, according to the Lafayette Fire Department.
Fire Department spokesman Alton Trahan said firefighters responded to a fire at 3:01 a.m. at 603 Evangeline Drive and found heavy flames pouring out of the two-story home owned by Tom and Loy Nunn.
The Nunns were outside the home when the firefighters arrived, but two of the Nunns’ three dogs did not survive, Trahan said in a news release.
The couple told firefighters they were asleep when the fire started and the dogs alerted them to the danger, Trahan said.
The Nunns said that when they woke up, the upstairs part of the home was filled with smoke, Trahan said.
The Nunns escaped through a room that was on fire, Trahan said, and added the home did not have smoke detectors.
Trahan said firefighters had the fire under control within 15 minutes. He said the home is uninhabitable.