BR man arrested
in Zachary robbery
A 23-year-old man accused of robbing a man and shooting at him late last year was arrested.
Johnny Lee Shelmire Mitchell, 3667 Wayne Drive, Baton Rouge, was booked by the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office on Wednesday with attempted first-degree murder and aggravated burglary, Parish Prison records show.
According to an affidavit warrant, two masked men were inside a home in the 19000 block of Deer Creek Road in Zachary on Dec. 22 at 10:45 p.m. burglarizing it when two victims came home and found them inside.
One burglar had a gun and pointed it at the victims, the warrant says.
Mitchell, the alleged gunman, told the victims not to make any noise and to do what they were told, the warrant says. One victim ran out the back door and jumped off a deck, fleeing the home, the warrant says.
Mitchell chased the victim and fired six shots at him, the warrant says.
The second victim wound up chasing the armed men, who ran away, according to the warrant.
two Wednesday fires
Baton Rouge firefighters battled two house fires Wednesday night, including one involving children, according to news releases.
Firefighters were called out to 5955 Clayton Ave. at 10:22 p.m. to fight a fire that destroyed a bedroom and heavily damaged nearly half of the home.
Firefighters suspect the blaze was caused by a child playing with a lighter in a bedroom and that a mattress was ignited. One child living in the home had a minor hand injury from the fire.
In a second fire, firefighters were called to a vacant home in the 1100 block of North 49th Street at 10:33 p.m. It began in the back of the home in a utility room. No one was injured.
Two Thursday fires under investigation
Baton Rouge firefighters are investigating two fires that occurred Thursday morning, according to news releases.
Firefighters, who were called out to 3164 Plank Road at 6:17 a.m., arrived to find a fire in a convenience store. It was contained to the area behind the counter, but the rest of the store had serious heat and smoke damage.
In the second fire, firefighters were called to 8926 Rickwood Drive at 5:24 a.m. where they found the dining room and kitchen of a home engulfed in flames. It was contained to the kitchen and dining room, but the rest of the home had significant damage from smoke, heat and water.
No one was injured in the fires.
Six people arrested
on DWI in EBR
Authorities arrested at least six people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Wednesday and 2:30 p.m. Thursday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Barry Butler, 28, 6145 Rolling Acres, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, operating a vehicle while under suspension for prior offense, reckless operation of a vehicle and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- James Carson, 47, 1535 Spanish Lakes Ave., St. Gabriel, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Brandon Hays, 31, 8450 Marcel Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, speeding, license plate required and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Adam Maples, 28, 8733 Forest Hill Drive, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle, failure to signal/improper turn, improper lane usage and equipment violation.
- Joseph Schaefer, 37, 1222 Jim Taylor Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, possession of Schedule II drugs, obstruction of public passage, driver’s license class restrictions, driver’s license required and fugitive from justice.
- Amy Stanford, 23, 9320 S. Vignes Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, speeding and possession of alcohol in vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.