March 14, 2013
BR man accused
of child desertion
Authorities have arrested a man accused of leaving his child and another child outside in front of their mother’s home after 11 p.m. while she was away at work.
Darryl Lejander, 36, 3238 Calumet Drive, was booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on Tuesday with child desertion, prison records show.
The children’s mother arranged to have Lejander watch them at his home for the night because she had to work,
according to an affidavit warrant.
A little more than a hour after Lejander picked up the children, at 11:20 p.m., they were left alone outside their mother’s home, the warrant says.
The mother’s aunt, who was inside the home at the time, heard the children crying and found them, the warrant says.
Three men wanted
in vehicle burglaries
East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff’s detectives are looking for three men accused of burglarizing unlocked vehicles in the Country Club of Louisiana on Feb. 28.
The suspects were seen on video surveillance footage burglarizing vehicles at several residences in the upscale community off Highland Road near Interstate 10 between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m. on Feb. 28, Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Casey Rayborn Hicks said Wednesday in a news release.
Items including credit cards were stolen from the vehicles, Hicks said.
At 10 a.m. that same day, the men were seen on surveillance footage using one of the stolen credit cards at the Target on 4500 Veterans Blvd. in Metairie, Hicks said.
Anyone with information concerning this incident or the identity of the suspects is asked to contact the Sheriff’s Office at (225) 389-5000 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at (225) 344-7867.
BR man arrested
in rape of child
Baton Rouge police have arrested a 45-year-old man accused of raping a 9-year-old girl in the summer of 2012.
Police arrested Earl Coleman, 45, 4012 N. Foster Drive on Tuesday and booked him into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison with aggravated rape, prison records show.
The child went to Coleman to ask for some food, and Coleman then picked the victim up, carried her to a bed and raped her, according to an affidavit warrant.
6 booked with DWI
in EBR Parish Prison
Authorities arrested at least six people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Tuesday and 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Alyssa Garofalo, 18, 843 Hammond Manor Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, resisting an officer, reckless operation of a vehicle, hit and run, and failure to maintain control.
- Valerie Keene, 44, 418 Bonarbridge Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage, reckless operation of a vehicle and drinking in a motor vehicle.
- Ryan Matthews, 22, 2402 Cliffs Edge Drive, Austin, Texas, first-offense DWI, failure to signal, improper turn, improper lane usage and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Joseph Pugh, 35, 11041 Royal Ascot St., first-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended or revoked, speeding and possession of alcohol in a vehicle.
- Kenny Reed, 38, 1745 N. 37th St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended or revoked, improper turns, and child passenger restraint system violation.
- Cherri Reily, 42, 7905 Jefferson Place Blvd., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and failure to maintain control.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.