Deputies arrest third suspect in slaying
Orleans Parish sheriff’s deputies arrested the third suspect in the Nov. 6 shooting death of Derrick Marioneaux on Wyandotte Street, a Baton Rouge police spokesman said.
Baton Rouge police detectives booked Benjamin Bailey, 20, 2630 Arbutus Ave., in to East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on one count of first-degree murder. He was arrested by Orleans Parish Sheriff’s deputies earlier Thursday and transferred to Baton Rouge, Baton Rouge police spokesman Tommy Stubbs said.
Stubbs said he did not know the details of the arrest in Orleans Parish.
Police booked Juan Herbert, 21, 3127 Pampas St., on Nov. 27 with first-degree murder in the slaying of Marioneaux, who was shot and killed at about 6:30 p.m. at 3184 Wyandotte St., police have said.
Herbert was accidently shot during the incident and taken to a hospital for treatment, police said. Herbert was booked when he was released from the hospital, police said.
A 14-year-old was arrested and booked with first-degree murder Nov. 15 in Marioneaux’s death, police said.
BR fire authorities probe origin of blaze
Baton Rouge Fire Department investigators are trying to determine the origin of a house fire Thursday that caused more than $45,000 in damage, a spokesman said.
When firefighters arrived at 10044 Ave. A, at 2:20 p.m., they saw flames shooting out from the house to the street, spokesman Curt Monte said
Firefighters brought the fire under control at 2:55 p.m., Monte said.
The homeowner was in the front yard when he saw smoke coming out of a window, Monte said. When he went to investigate, the homeowner saw the side of his house on fire, Monte said.
Monte said fire destroyed about 60 percent of the house and the rest of the structure had extensive smoke and water damage.
No injuries were reported, Monte said.
Six arrested on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least six people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Wednesday and 2:30 p.m. Thursday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Charles Ellis, 25, 5355 Halls Ferry Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, seat belt violation, text messaging prohibited, failure to maintain control and driver’s license not on person.
- Richard Hale, 23, 4240 Lake Sherwood Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, disobeying a red light and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- David Hanlin, 60, 3924 Indian Run Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI.
- Sara Harris, 40, 1311 Applewood Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and failure to signal/improper turn.
- Marquis Hayes, 34, 5316 Oaklan Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle, failure to maintain control, hit-and-run and other laws of the road.
- Lauren Perry, 41, 10428 Jefferson Highway, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.