Police book man, 43, with sexual battery
A 43-year-old Baton Rouge man was arrested Wednesday, accused of raping a 13-year-old several times between July and August, an arrest warrant says.
Alphonso Ambeau, 124 N. 13th St., was booked on a count of sexual battery.
The incidents occurred between July 1 and Aug. 1, the warrant says.
LSU worker runs over, injures student
An LSU facilities service worker ran over and injured a student who was lying on the ground in the campus quad near Coates Hall Thursday, a university police spokesman said.
The incident occurred at 1:15 p.m. as the facilities service worker was pulling his work truck away from the area after doing some work, Capt. Cory Lalonde said.
The worker didn’t see the student, he said.
Paramedics with East Baton Rouge Parish Emergency Medical Services treated the student and offered to transport him to a hospital, but the student refused, Lalonde said. The student later drove himself or was driven to a local hospital, he said.
Lalonde said he did not know the extent of the student’s injuries.
Campus police do not suspect the driver of the truck was impaired, however the incident is still under investigation, Lalonde said.
pedestrian hit by SUV
A pedestrian who died Sept. 30 after being hit by a vehicle five days earlier on Siegen Lane was identified Thursday as Neil Yander of Pasadena, Texas, a State Police spokesman said.
Yander, 52, was hit and thrown in the air by a Jeep on Siegen Lane near Reiger Road just before 8 p.m. Sept. 25, Trooper Russell Graham II said.
A preliminary investigation found that Joseph Maldonado, 27, of Baton Rouge, was driving a 2011 Jeep Cherokee south on Siegen in the right lane at the intersection of Rieger when he struck Yander, who was walking in the roadway, Graham said.
Maldonado veered to the right to avoid Yander, but struck him with the left side of the Jeep, Graham said. Maldonado brought his vehicle to a stop nearby.
Although troopers said alcohol was probably not a factor in the crash, Maldonado voluntarily submitted a breath sample that showed he had no detectable alcohol in his system, Graham said.
Troopers were unable to secure a blood sample from the pedestrian because of the extent of his injuries.
Maldonado has not been cited in the accident, he said.
Editor’s note: The headline on this story was modified on Oct. 5, 2012, because it incorrectly said the accident was a hit and run.
6 arrested in EBR
on DWI charges
Authorities arrested at least six people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Wednesday and 2:30 p.m. Thursday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Larry Smith, 46, 10706 Flintwood Ave., Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, drinking in a motor vehicle, failure to maintain control and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Marlo Spooner, 34, 6372 Cyrus Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, hit and run, insurance required, obstruction of an intersection and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Stanley Morris, 57, 11580 Perkins Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle, simple criminal damage to property, driver’s license not on person and motor vehicle registration expired.
- James Duchesne, 24, 367 Long Lake Road, Columbia, first-offense DWI, resisting an officer, urinating in public and disturbing the peace.
- Morgan Marinoff, 21, 1300 W. College Drive, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, improper lane usage, reckless operation of a vehicle and driver’s license required/expired.
- Michael Wink, 52, 18204 Fountain Hill Blvd., Prairieville, first-offense DWI.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.