Mother, daughter booked with cruelty
Baker police Saturday arrested a 45-year-old woman and her 29-year-old daughter accused of deserting and abusing the daughter’s children, booking records show.
Naomi Parker, 3411 E. Azalea Ave., Baker, was booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on counts of child desertion and cruelty to juveniles. Her daughter and the mother of the children, April Parker, 2017 E. Azalea Ave., Baker, was booked on a count of cruelty to juveniles.
April Parker complained to Baker police on Saturday that her former boyfriend, who is the father of the children, had taken two of her daughters without her consent, according to affidavits of probable cause.
Baker police learned around the same time Saturday that the father wanted to report both women for abusing the children, the affidavits say.
Police interviewed both children, who said they had been left alone Friday night, along with other siblings, when one of the children broke a bedroom window, the affidavits say.
When the children told their mother, April Parker, she started hitting one of the children on the face, mouth, neck and upper body and also kicked them when they fell, the affidavits say.
Both children told police that their grandmother Naomi Parker would occasionally lock them and another child outside the home until as late as 2 a.m., the warrant says.
The children also reported that Naomi Parker would “beat on” them when she drank alcohol and took narcotic medications, the affidavits say.
26-year-old man shot on West Roosevelt
A 26-year-old man was shot and wounded Sunday near LSU’s campus, Baton Rouge police said.
The victim was shot in the right bicep in the 1200 block of West Roosevelt Street at 3 p.m. and transported to the hospital, said police spokesman Cpl. Tommy Stubbs.
Police arrest 2 men in drive-by shooting
Baton Rouge police arrested two men accused in a drive-by shooting on Canonicus Street on Saturday, arrest warrants show.
Richard Williams, 20, and Robert Brown, 29, both 6126 Barksdale St., were both booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison early Sunday on counts of attempted second-degree murder, booking records show.
Williams is accused of firing a .45-caliber handgun at some people standing in a driveway in the 3300 block of Canonicus Street at 5:20 p.m. Saturday, his arrest warrant says.
Brown is accused of driving a late model Dodge Dakota pickup from which Williams allegedly fired a gun, his warrant says.
The pickup sped off, but a witness told police the truck was at 6126 Barksdale St., where officers later arrested Williams and Brown, the warrants say. The warrants for the two men do not say anyone was hurt in the shooting.
Both men were still in Parish Prison Sunday morning. Each has bail set at $75,000.
Authorities arrest 16
on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least 16 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish — including one man booked on a fourth-offense DWI — and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show. Those booked and the counts against them:
- Deion Augustus, 17, 6060 S. Howell Drive, first-offense DWI, possession of marijuana, reckless operation of a vehicle and obstruction of a highway.
- Tony Clark, 42, 1178 Effie Highway, Darville, first-offense DWI.
- Daniel Cox, 22, 24893 Heritage Drive, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, failure to obey a stop sign or yield sign and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Jason Efferson, 27, 8752 Leisure Drive, Denham Springs, fourth-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended or revoked and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Charles Fisher, 39, 4620 New Weis Road, Zachary, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and failure to maintain control.
- Leonela Guzman, 21, 219 Lovers Lane, second-offense DWI, equipment violation and improper lane usage.
- Cheko Harris, 39, 3456 Webb Drive, first-offense DWI.
- Juwon Johnson, 27, 12251 Troy St., second-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Melanie Lee, 34, 10360 Avenue I, first-offense DWI and disobeying a red light.
- Bradley Lemoine, 30, 3358 N. Lake Ave., first-offense DWI and headlights required.
- Rogers Martin, 43, 927 Roman Drive, Baker, first-offense DWI, failure to yield right of way, and hit and run.
- Jory Roddy, 20, 13371 Roddy Road, Gonzales, first-offense DWI, failure to signal and improper turn.
- Alvin Sterling, 47, 38561 La. 42, Prairieville, first-offense DWI, motor vehicle inspection required, insurance required and driver’s license suspended or revoked.
- Rhett Valentine, 37, 2059 Mariner Drive, first-offense DWI, possession of alcohol in a vehicle and improper lane usage.
- Dwayne Wicks, 26, 58613 Allen St., Plaquemine, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Donald Yoc Domingo, 21, 13962 Azalea Park, first-offense DWI, failure to maintain control, operating a vehicle without lawful presence in the United States, and hit and run.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.