Police seek suspect in Saturday shooting
Police are looking for a 19-year-old suspect in the fatal shooting Saturday of a man in the 5300 block of Paige Street, a police spokesman said Sunday.
Police believe Jeremy Payne, 19, 6766 Vineyard Drive, shot and killed Curtis Mitchell, 31, Cpl. L’Jean McKneely said in a news release.
Police found Mitchell inside his home at 5303 Paige St., around 1:30 p.m. with a gunshot wound to the chest, McKneely said.
Mitchell was taken to a hospital where he died from his injuries, McKneely said.
The shooting appears to be drug related, McKneely said. A drug transaction took place between Mitchell and Payne, but it’s not known which man was selling the drugs, McKneely said.
Payne returned later to rob Mitchell, which is when Payne allegedly shot him, McKneely said.
The investigation is continuing, McKneely said. Anyone with information can contact the Violent Crimes Unit at (225) 389-4869 or Crime Stoppers at (225) 344-7867.
Driver dies after vehicle hits house
Alcohol may have been a factor in an accident Saturday night that killed one man and injured another person in the 2800 block of North Ardenwood Drive, police said Sunday.
Percy McGhee, 271 Bon Crest Ave., 58, died just after 10 p.m. when he lost control of his vehicle and struck a house, Cpl. L’Jean McKneely said in a news release.
McGhee died at the scene, McKneely said. A 61-year-old passenger suffered moderate injuries and was transported to a local hospital.
McGhee and his passenger were not wearing seat belts, McKneely said.
Authorities arrest 6 on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least six people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Shirone Gray, 38, 8670 Magnolia St., St. Gabriel, second-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended/revoked, following too close and failure to signal.
- Branden Stewart, 22, 1124 Progress St., first-offense DWI and careless driving.
- Dwane Saucier, 33, 10658 La. 1033, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI and failure to signal/improper turn.
- Madeline Svoren, 20, 8540 Pettite Road, Baker, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and failure to signal/improper turn.
- George Taylor, 31, 16566 St. Amite Drive, first-offense DWI, drinking in a motor vehicle, failure to maintain control, driving on a suspended or revoked license and insurance required.
- Charles Williams, 37, 4517 Avenue C, Zachary, second-offense DWI, speeding and reckless operation of a vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.