A construction worker was shocked Monday when a piece of metal he was holding came into contact with a power line, Ascension Parish schools’ Public Information Officer Johnnie Balfantz said.
According to a release from the Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Office, 44-year-old Michael Chaplin was working on a metal canopy at the back of the shared campus at St. Amant Primary and Middle schools when an employee handed him a piece of metal that came in contact with the power line.
Chaplin, a Florida resident working for Peachtree Protective Covers out of Atlanta, Ga., was transported to St. Elizabeth Hospital. His condition was upgraded Monday evening from critical to stable condition, said Trey Cline, pre-construction manager for SBS Construction.
The accident occurred around noon.
No students were present at the time of the incident, Balfantz said.
SBS Construction is working on a new driveway at the back of the shared campus.