Man charged after accidental shooting
A man who accidentally fired a gun from his bedroom, hitting his next-door neighbor in the leg, was arrested Friday, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
Darron Robertson, 26, 928 East Boulevard, was booked into Parish Prison on counts of negligent injuring, illegal use of a weapon and criminal damage to property, booking records show.
On Wednesday about 6:30 p.m., Robertson’s neighbor was in his kitchen, fixing himself a glass of water from his refrigerator, when he suddenly heard a “loud bang” then “observed he was bleeding from his left leg,” the affidavit says.
Baton Rouge detectives noted in the affidavit there were bullet holes in the two houses that indicated the bullet had come from Robertson’s bedroom.
Robertson admitted he was “trying to take the magazine from the gun and the gun accidentally fired,” the affidavit says.
Authorities book 8 on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least eight people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 a.m. Saturday and 2:30 a.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Nelson Bomgarner, 23, 4141 Jumonville St., New Orleans, first-offense DWI, reckless driving and improper lane usage.
- Jay Daigle, 34, 1230 Northwood Crest Drive, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended and careless driving.
- Shanika Tims, 24, 1224 N. 36th St., second-offense DWI, driver’s license not in possession, disobeying a red light, speeding and motor vehicle inspection sticker required.
- Kendrick Gathe, 32, 14263 Cloverhill Blvd., first-offense DWI and failure to maintain control.
- Ashley Junek, 41, 1794 Denver Drive, first-offense DWI and failure to yield for an emergency vehicle.
- Leper Lewis, 31, 2575 Rose Garden Circle, Zachary, first-offense DWI, following too closely, speeding and driver’s license not on person.
- Rhonda Nelson, 18, 1344 Carolyn Sue Drive, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Shanika Tims, 24, 1224 N. 36th St., second-offense DWI, disobeying a red light, insurance required and driver’s license not on person.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.