No doubt the past several weeks have not been the most pleasant for conservatives.
When you watch fundamental principles upon which this country has prospered and the people who publicly support those principles castigated and ridiculed in the press and in much of the general public, it tends to dampen hopes and dreams.
Surely no one could believe that borrowing nearly 50 percent of the money you spend is a healthy policy. No one seriously thinks that level of debt is a good thing.
Some might contend it is noble for 70 percent of the people to sacrifice the quality of their healthcare for the good of the other 30 percent and even pay for the health care of the other 30 percent. That might be a wonderful thing to do, but nobody could still believe that that is how Obamacare was sold to the American people.
Nobody can think that the statements made back then are truth today. This government takeover of our healthcare and attempted takeover of the energy sector, along with the myriad regulations unilaterally erected by the Obama administration, are putting a strangle hold on our economy. Every straight thinker with a modicum of intelligence has to understand that.
Why, then, is this the losing side? Maybe it’s the influence of the media. Maybe it’s the current culture of me, me, me. Maybe it’s just the fact that the best ideas take time to ripen. Maybe Ted Cruz or Rand Paul will be president in another 20 years, but they certainly won’t win three years from now. The truth is that elections are fought and won in the middle.
It won’t be MSNBC or Fox fans who decide the next election. It will be the uninformed apathetic “American Idol” fan who gets his news from John Stewart and Letterman. Unfortunate, but true. The middle 30 percent.
So you have a choice.
You can stand on the sidelines and wave your flag and moan that things are unfair and should be better. Or you can take a page from the progressive handbook. Enlarge your tent. Don’t belittle a successful candidate because he is more or less pragmatic than you. Embrace incrementalism.
Take what you can get when you can get it and live to fight another day. This is not a war for the high road. This is guerilla-style politics. Like it or not, Chicago-style politics.
retired energy worker