In reference to the May 6 Advocate Opinion page letter: “Religion should be outlawed” by Michael Polito, chemist, I will agree with him that religion has been and is being used to perpetuate ideologies that cause death and destruction to the masses. The jihads in the Middle East are a prime example. And there are examples of genocide, murder, intolerance, rape, misogamy (hatred of marriage) in the Bible, but not in the context that he quoted.
The examples given in God’s Holy Bible are to teach believers right from wrong. The books of the Bible were recorded by men inspired by the Holy Spirit to provide a perpetual source of the living word of God for all humanity.
He quoted from two Old Testament books — Exodus and Leviticus — out of context. These are books of law given to the Jewish nation to perpetuate it as God’s chosen race for that period of time. There are three dispensations of law in the Holy Bible: patriarchal, Mosaic and Christian. A thorough study of the scriptures is necessary for one to understand the teachings of the Bible and know the context of each era.
The Christian Dispensation under which we live today is based on love, expressed in 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 and 1 Corinthians 13:13:
- 1 Corinthians 13:4 — Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant.
- 1 Corinthians 13:5 — (It) does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered.
- 1 Corinthians 13:6 — (It) does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth.
- 1 Corinthians 13:7 — (It) bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
- 1 Corinthians 13:13 — But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.
He writes that it is a wonder that women are involved in religion. God involved women in his plan beginning with Eve the mother of mankind and later Mary the mother of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior, also books of the Bible are dedicated to Ruth and Esther. Women have always had an integral part in God’s plan for humanity. Childbearing is woman’s greatest gift of all from God.
Polito’s freedom of being permitted to write his article without fear of retribution is provided by the First Amendment to our Constitution, which was based on the Godly principles of the Holy Bible.
I am a born-again Christian who has no fear of death knowing that there is an eternal resting place waiting for me. Sir, may God have mercy on your soul .