This note is written to expose some of my thoughts on the high-speed rail service between New Orleans and Baton Rouge.
I assume when we use the phrase “high-speed” we mean straight-through service with no stops and that will be servicing customers strictly between the two cities.
These are my questions:
1. How many passengers are traveling strictly between the two cities for business or shopping purposes?
2. How many of those passengers can or will fit into a train’s schedule? This is not a 8-5 world anymore and people have to be flexible.
The fact is that people both need and like to be flexible and only auto travel will satisfy that..Is to run that many trains per day economically feasible?
3. How do you do a traffic study that will tell you how much of the traffic between the cities are craftmen that are driving pickups loaded with tools?
4. Same problem with plant workers that leave either city and drop off at one of the many plants in between?
5. How much federal and state money are we talking about? That question applies to both the startup and subsidies after it is operating.